LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 Ls400 Won't turn over Help Please ASAP Anyone!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 08:35 PM
Ef8people
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Ls400 Won't turn over Help Please ASAP Anyone!!

OK I am hoping anyone can help me. I recently just bought my car less then a month. Its clean drove it from MI and I live in WI. I don't really drive it cause of the weather we have here. So the other day I went to go start it up it wouldn't start. Flat out didn't turn over. It cranks strong but wont turn over. A few times cranking on it it started but every time I stepped on the gas it would kinda putter and die and lights dim. I try a few more times nothing. Few more tries turns on but when I stepped on the gas the idle went down so i let go of it and it would idle then back to normal idling. I notice when I first bought the car it did seem a little long to start the car. Not long long but seemed like my civic started up quicker. Also my brother and I notice that the tailpipe kinda smells like gas. If anyone can help its would be very very helpful and appreciated. Thank you very much and I hope you guys can be of help.
Old 03-25-13, 09:04 PM
Yamae

Received 854 Likes on 646 Posts

Any codes?
Old 03-25-13, 09:06 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

you need to scan this vehicle for codes, you can buy an OBD-II scanner at autozone or advance auto parts or oreilly for $40 or so- if you are really cheap, here is a $20 scanner available online that works great

also, don't wear out your starter that costs over $1000 to replace by repeated cranking long attempts, instead, use a 1.5 second spray of starting fluid available at the auto parts stores listed above or at wal-mart - you spray it in the intake (hole beside the battery above radiator) - in any case, if it won't start in 6 seconds then STOP cranking and wait a while and try later

also test the voltage across battery (with it connected) with both car off and car running (should be 12.5V or more off and 13.6V or more running)

post voltages and OBD-II codes scanned here
Old 03-25-13, 09:13 PM
Ef8people
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys. No I haven't checked the codes yet. I actually don't know how. Any tips? I'm used to the obd0 hondas where the ecu just flashes. So I'm new to the Lexus. And thanks for the started tip and starting fluid.
Old 03-25-13, 09:23 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

once you have the scanner in your hand, just find the OBD-II data port under the dash near the hood release lever and plug it in and turn ignition to on - the scanner comes with instructions, but it is pretty much just step through the menus and read the codes off of the scanner's LCD screen
Old 03-25-13, 09:30 PM
Ef8people
Driver School Candidate

Awesome and thanks. I will try this this weekend and keep posted and go from there. Thank you
Old 03-25-13, 09:39 PM
rickcars
Driver School Candidate

Before you go out and purchase a scanner, get a multimeter (cheaper) and check the voltages like LScowboyLS has described.

Check your fuses, especially MAF (mass airflow sensor) sensor fuse, this caused my '99 LS to have very similar symptoms to what you're experiencing.
Old 03-25-13, 09:44 PM
Ef8people
Driver School Candidate

Hmm how do you check your maf? What settings on the meter or whats the reading I should get? Did that fix your car ?
Old 03-25-13, 09:53 PM
rickcars
Driver School Candidate

If you have a scanner already, check the codes. If it is the MAF, you'll get the associated problem code. For me, its was the MAF fuse causing a incorrect air intake reading.. car was sluggish, lights dimmed w/ gas pedal, very very erratic idle rpm.

But my advice is when there are electrical issues (direct or indirect), the cheapest and easiest thing to do is to FIRST check voltages and fuses. It will save you $
Old 03-25-13, 10:02 PM
Ef8people
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rickcars
If you have a scanner already, check the codes. If it is the MAF, you'll get the associated problem code. For me, its was the MAF fuse causing a incorrect air intake reading.. car was sluggish, lights dimmed w/ gas pedal, very very erratic idle rpm.

But my advice is when there are electrical issues (direct or indirect), the cheapest and easiest thing to do is to FIRST check voltages and fuses. It will save you $
Quick ? Can a low battery cause that even if cranks strong?
Old 03-25-13, 10:04 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Agreed. - Check every fuse, both inside car and under hood. - if you know how, also check fuselinks, relays, circuit breakers - to quickly check fuses, you need a test light - here is the one I use
Old 03-25-13, 10:42 PM
rickcars
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ef8people
Quick ? Can a low battery cause that even if cranks strong?
If you're ALWAYS cranking strong, then your battery/alt is more than likely good
Old 03-26-13, 05:44 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

98 Ls400 Won't turn over Help Please ASAP Anyone!! why dont you just follow the suggestions you have already been given, and you probably wont have to ask anymore questions. the advice is top notch, but you gain nothing by asking more questions.
as Yamae said... any codes??
just trying to help..
Old 03-26-13, 01:17 PM
Ef8people
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by billydpowe
98 Ls400 Won't turn over Help Please ASAP Anyone!! why dont you just follow the suggestions you have already been given, and you probably wont have to ask anymore questions. the advice is top notch, but you gain nothing by asking more questions.
as Yamae said... any codes??
just trying to help..
Think I found the problem I hope! Took the intake pipe and stuff off to clean and I notice when I pulled the throttle cable the throttle flap barley opened. Think it snapped. It's supposed to open all the way am I correct? Please help
Old 03-26-13, 01:53 PM
Ef8people
Driver School Candidate

Default 98 Ls400 Throttle ? and help!

Ok recently my car has been acting up. I was thinking it was maybe fuel or sparks. It will start but wont turn over. Every time it starts up it will die if I step on the gas, but when I leave the car on and rev the engine it seems fine. I check the battery and its full also charged it. So today I decided to clean the throttle body thinking it might have a lot of gunk but its actually clean. So then I was cleaning it then notice that it had a weird play. When I pull the throttle cable all the way back it will only open 1/4 way. From my experience with Hondas I know for a fact that it should open fully. My ? is is Lexus supposed to be like this. I have a good feeling something broke from not making it fully open. Please I really need help I have only owned the car for less than a month and only drove it like 7 times about 4 miles each times. Thank You every much

Quick Reply: 98 Ls400 Won't turn over Help Please ASAP Anyone!!