LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98 LS400 Will Turnover, Won't Start no CEL

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-13, 08:16 AM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 98 LS400 Will Turnover, Won't Start no CEL

I have a 1998 LS400 w/ 229,000 miles. I purchased the car 20 months ago and have had absolutely no problems or CELs up until two weeks ago. I was driving my car home from work and got a Tail lamp Failure warning light, so at a stop sign I turned the car off. When I tried to restart the car it would turnover but not start. I put the car in neutral and pushed it out of the way, when I got back in it started right up. I drove the car to and from work for three more days without any other problems. The CEL never came on. I did in fact have a Tail lamp out, which I replaced. I then went on vacation for a week, when I got back I started my car, backed it out of the garage to unload our other vehicle from vacation, and started it to move it back in. The next day I went out and started the car, but it died before I ever moved the gear shifter, and has not started since. My first test was to move the gear shifter to neutral and back to park, but that yielded no result. Since then I have un-hooked the battery overnight to reset the ECU, cleaned the throttle body, idle air port, and mass air flow sensor, and charged and tested my battery (battery reads 12.7v before start, drops to 10.4 while turning over, comes back to 12.4+v after attempted start). I have been able to get the car to start a few times if I push the throttle while turning the key, but it quickly dies. I have scanned for codes several times and still am not registering any (I even checked the scanner on a car w/ a CEL to make sure it still worked). The car still turns over, but no luck starting. A few other symptoms include a load humming/buzzing noise coming from the front of the engine (possibly throttle body) after an attempted start if the key is left in on position.

TL;DR 98 LS 229,000 mi turns over, but won't start. No CEL. Cleaned TB, IAP, and MAF. Charge and tested battery.
Old 03-20-13, 09:08 AM
snoop562
Pole Position

maybe fuel pump
Old 03-20-13, 09:26 AM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by snoop562
maybe fuel pump
Would it start with the throttle body open if it was the fuel pump though?
Old 03-20-13, 12:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

clean the idle ports in the throttle body, probably isn't the issue but definitely won't hurt.
Old 03-20-13, 12:11 PM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
clean the idle ports in the throttle body, probably isn't the issue but definitely won't hurt.
I have already cleaned the MAF, TB, and Idle Air Ports.
Old 03-20-13, 01:00 PM
TaffyK20si
Driver

I'm sure you know this but I'll say it anyway. A car needs 3 things to run properly. Fuel, air, and spark. Looks like you have tended to all but the spark. While you say that if you give more fuel that it will start makes me think that its not spark. Maybe insufficient spark.
Good ole leaking ECU capacitors could have possibly slimed their way into your life.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html
Is the humming, buzzing noise coming from the engine bay or from the dash? Capacitors can be quite noisy when go bad. Kinda like steam in a kettle.

Last edited by TaffyK20si; 03-20-13 at 01:07 PM.
Old 03-20-13, 01:23 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

cap problems are rare in 98-00 cars.

is the security light on the dash blinking or on at all qhen you try to start the car? kinda sounds like the immobilizer's killing it.
Old 03-20-13, 02:56 PM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TaffyK20si
I'm sure you know this but I'll say it anyway. A car needs 3 things to run properly. Fuel, air, and spark. Looks like you have tended to all but the spark. While you say that if you give more fuel that it will start makes me think that its not spark. Maybe insufficient spark.
Good ole leaking ECU capacitors could have possibly slimed their way into your life.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...capacitor.html
Is the humming, buzzing noise coming from the engine bay or from the dash? Capacitors can be quite noisy when go bad. Kinda like steam in a kettle.
The humming/buzzing is coming from the very front of the end, I would almost guarantee from the motor attached to the right/driver side of the throttle body.
Old 03-20-13, 02:57 PM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
cap problems are rare in 98-00 cars.

is the security light on the dash blinking or on at all qhen you try to start the car? kinda sounds like the immobilizer's killing it.
The dash light is blinking when ever the key is not in the ignition, however as soon as the key is put into the ignition, the security light goes off. I have tried all three keys and the security light goes off for all three.
Old 03-20-13, 07:37 PM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

This is the part that is buzzing. Does anyone know what this is? If it can be repaired/cleaned? Or what the price and part number are for a new one.
Old 03-20-13, 07:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

that's the throttle motor. sounds like it's toast, which is pretty rare. If the wires to it are all in good shape and fully clipped in then it's probably bad. It's not really end-user serviceable.

I would just try to find a '98-99 (2000 is different iirc) throttle body from a wrecking yard.
Old 03-22-13, 09:25 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

throttle motor doesn't explain the large voltage drop when starting is attempted, you have either a short or something locked up, such as a starter
Old 03-23-13, 11:51 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Give it some gas

Battery is normal; a 2v drop during starter load is fine. Try shooting a one-second spray of starting fluid behind the throttle butterflly, then slightly press on the accelerator pedal while you crank. If it starts and runs for a few seconds, but then stalls, I suspect either an injector or fuel pressure problem. Could be fuel pump/relay problem. First make sure you don't have a clogged fuel filter, but that usually starts showing up when the engine is under load for several seconds. Injectors are ECU controlled, but eliminate the fuel delivery as a possible issue first.
Old 03-26-13, 10:20 AM
fuz16
Driver School Candidate

Purchased a used (130,000 mi) throttle body assembly off of '99 GS400 ($275) and replaced my entire TBA last night. Car started up on first attempt. I talked w/ a local Toyota Dealer Mechanic and he said that it is common for the clutch to go out on the Throttle Motor (the part circled in red in the picture above) on the older V8 Tundra's and Tacoma's. Hopefully things will return to their problem free selves. Never got a CEL through the entire process. On a side not fixmiester is correct, a battery will drop about 3v when trying to start, but will jump back up to about 14v after start, during idle. a 2-3v drop while the starter is being engaged is completely normal. Thanks for the help.

TL;DR replaced entire TBA, car started and ran on first try.
Old 03-26-13, 09:45 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

a 2-3v drop while the starter is being engaged is completely normal.
not unless it is seriously COLD weather where you are in Missouri (considerably below freezing and not using 0W oil) - I guess I am too used to sunny Alabama!

Quick Reply: 98 LS400 Will Turnover, Won't Start no CEL