LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

How badly did I mess up my car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 12:55 PM
Talal916
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How badly did I mess up my car?

I should probably introduce myself first lol so,,
Hi guys, I'm 17 and just got my first car, a 97 LS400. I love the car and was showing off to some friends yesterday when I thought I'd rev the engine a bit at a stoplight in neutral and then throw it into drive just to get that little wheelspin. That was only at around 2K RPM though. I did that about twice more, because I was a dumbass and didn't know how bad it was for the drivetrain. For the fourth "neutral drop," I revved up to 5K let off the gas, then put it into Drive. The car lurched forward with way more wheelspin than before, but there was a really loud "clunk" noise when I put it into Drive. It felt really bad, but the car has been driving fine since, and I haven't done anything stupid yet. I looked up the effect of neutral drops on cars in other forums and all the posts seem to say that it is catastrophic to the point of your transmission just dying. I didn't find any forums that mentioned how many times is necessary for your car to start showing its injuries, and none mentioning our LS400. My question is, how badly did I hurt the car? Is there anything inside that I've damaged and What was that large clunk noise I heard? Oh also, does just flooring it at a stop sign have any ill effects on your car? I promise not to pull any stupid **** like that again, but I know I'll still be (and deserve to be) flamed.

Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-19-13, 01:01 PM
diamondave
Driver

I cant tell you how badly you hurt the car but if its driving fine just baby it. you have a fine automobile and you should take care of it. besides it should spin tires without neutral dropping it. If you have to show off which i know most 17 year olds do its much better to power brake. at least for the car it is. You have a very classy car and your behavior should reflect the quality of automobile you are driving. Good luck to you lad.
Old 03-19-13, 01:07 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

glad you are aware of the actions you were doing. as for the affects, it's hard to say but i'm leaning towards the driveshaft bushing dislocating or twisting beyond it's normal point of travel due to the shock received from the drop. the transmission gears can also suffer as well as the rear differential and axles.

if the car is driving ok, then keep an close eye out in the next few days. you'll probably experience more vibrations now if something was compromised.
Old 03-19-13, 01:36 PM
Talal916
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by diamondave
I cant tell you how badly you hurt the car but if its driving fine just baby it. you have a fine automobile and you should take care of it. besides it should spin tires without neutral dropping it. If you have to show off which i know most 17 year olds do its much better to power brake. at least for the car it is. You have a very classy car and your behavior should reflect the quality of automobile you are driving. Good luck to you lad.
Thank you for the help! You're right, I'll be driving much more carefully now.

Old 03-19-13, 01:38 PM
Talal916
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
glad you are aware of the actions you were doing. as for the affects, it's hard to say but i'm leaning towards the driveshaft bushing dislocating or twisting beyond it's normal point of travel due to the shock received from the drop. the transmission gears can also suffer as well as the rear differential and axles.

if the car is driving ok, then keep an close eye out in the next few days. you'll probably experience more vibrations now if something was compromised.
Okay, I'll def. keep an eye out for any unusual behavior. Thanks to you for the help! I was/still am scared that I might've permanently injured the car, but this helps to alleviate my fears.

Old 03-19-13, 02:51 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I advise you to put your flame suit on
Old 03-19-13, 03:12 PM
Talal916
Driver School Candidate

It's been on lol, but I deserve any flaming to come Posted from ClubLexus.com App for Android
Old 03-19-13, 04:02 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow! Not good at all, but just keep an eye on things. Hopefully everything will be ok.

Lol, I had a friend in highschool who took his mom's maxima and did about 30mph in reverse, put it in neutral and reved it up to redline and then dropped it into drive! lol. It was the funniest thing in the world to watch the reaction on his face when he destroyed the tranny.

hopefully you don't go out and do this now........ but if you do please take some video!
Old 03-19-13, 06:40 PM
timmy0tool

i believe our trans are much stronger than the usual trans out there. i suspect the mounts, diff, axles, or the driveshaft to give first.
Old 03-19-13, 07:03 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Worn bushing some where. Possible drive shaft rub chassis is my guess.
Old 03-19-13, 07:39 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

One word of advise when you get your first car, dont be an idiot. One tire fire aint dung. Drive slow homie.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 03-19-13 at 07:57 PM. Reason: language...
Old 03-19-13, 08:20 PM
DertyDOH
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if nothing is broke then I wouldn't worry, you'll know over the next few days. But like others said, its not even close to being a sports car so it's definitely not designed for that
Old 03-20-13, 11:10 AM
timmy0tool

Originally Posted by DertyDOH
if nothing is broke then I wouldn't worry, you'll know over the next few days. But like others said, its not even close to being a sports car so it's definitely not designed for that
it's not?! it can do some wicked burnouts (oops don't give any ideas)!
Old 03-20-13, 01:14 PM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
it's not?! it can do some wicked burnouts (oops don't give any ideas)!
HAHAHA ^ this!
Save it for the rain/snow doriftoing!!! :P :shutsbigmouth: :/
Old 03-20-13, 02:17 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

Thinking of, back in high school, one of my buddy's got his first car. We came over to check out his ride and he did the show-off routine by doing burnouts, high revs...he lost control and put it into a tree. Within 3 hours of ownership, he was now looking for his second car. Drive safe.

Quick Reply: How badly did I mess up my car?