LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

A/C repair costs

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 06:23 AM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Wasn't too long ago...ok it was really...when I was in your place. Hang tight and soon you'll have the place and tools to take care of your own. The cars are great and do very well. Swap with any other 20 year old car and you'd go back to the Lexus in a heartbeat... We just come to expect a lot from these cars and can easily get disappointed when something breaks...it will, just like other cars, but were not talking about replacing a motor or transmission here... the car still works, you just lost some creature comforts...
Try taking the $2500 you think the car is worth and buy something else...
Old 08-27-13, 01:02 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
Wasn't too long ago...ok it was really...when I was in your place. Hang tight and soon you'll have the place and tools to take care of your own. The cars are great and do very well. Swap with any other 20 year old car and you'd go back to the Lexus in a heartbeat... We just come to expect a lot from these cars and can easily get disappointed when something breaks...it will, just like other cars, but were not talking about replacing a motor or transmission here... the car still works, you just lost some creature comforts...
Honestly, if you live near/around/on a college campus and if you're near a major city center why even have a car - a bike can handle most of your transport and many colleges have reduced price or free use of public transit. And some campuses have car-sharing programs in place.

While I still have my tools at my parents and use of their garage, I don't drive as much as I did - I live close to work and my car is parked these days.

As for the AC repair if you're up to DIY, it's a interesting learning experience - but most won't have access to the recovery/charge equipment. A gauge set is really all you need. The evap unit pulls out with no dash removal needed. But many O-rings are a PITA to access. Any competent hydraulics shop that makes hoses should be able to make new hoses.
Old 08-27-13, 01:10 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Legender
Yup. I figure one more year isn't too bad of a time to put up with the no A/C and other various issue that have been coming on lately. The job market is looking good for graduating Accounting majors, and I will be finishing in December.

Originally Posted by nthach
Honestly, if you live near/around/on a college campus and if you're near a major city center why even have a car - a bike can handle most of your transport and many colleges have reduced price or free use of public transit. And some campuses have car-sharing programs in place.

While I still have my tools at my parents and use of their garage, I don't drive as much as I did - I live close to work and my car is parked these days.
I live 3 blocks from campus, and currently work on campus. I walk as often as I can, but if I'm in a pinch or it's raining, I hop in the car. One upside to no A/C is that I am much less eager to hop in the car and go for a drive, so there's some fuel savings right there. I do my grocery shopping at 1 am to avoid the heat.
Old 06-20-15, 03:50 AM
sheldomsmi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most Air Conditioning units do a leak test during the process but if the leak is very small it may not detect it. A simple way is to connect a tyre inflator and put just a few pounds of pressure into the system - assuming its already empty - and then spray the various parts with a soap solution. This is only a rough DIY job and it will have to be dried after the repair to remove the water vapour from the inflator.

Last edited by EXE.UCF10; 08-04-15 at 02:38 PM. Reason: removed hyperlink to AC repair company