LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Saying Goodbye to my Twin Turbo 1UZFE :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-02, 02:56 AM
healerhand
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Saying Goodbye to my Twin Turbo 1UZFE :(

Gang,

Its a sad day for me. After playing around the Twin Turbo setup for few months trying to get it perfect. I did a lot of R&D on the motor. Recently, i re-route my intake to the front of the car. The car idle beautfully and running very good. I was very happy.

Few days ago, i lost all boost. I was very puzzled why did i loose boost? I check all tubes, connectors, clamps, turbos. I also individually test every turbo to see if the turbo have problem. i go as far as changing the complete throttle body. All failed. Two days ago, my car idle at around 1600 rpm. I was puzzled too. What is going on here.

For the past few months, i spent hours at night (10 pm to 2 am) trying to get the system running. All the turbo parts are high quality.

Anyway, to make the story short. I was driving home tonight on the freeway. I was about few miles from home. I noticed massive smoke (similar to a 500 RWHP Mustang "burn out" in a drag stripe) coming from tail pipes. Since i am almost home and i cant stop, i keep on driving.

After i got home, smoke were everywhere. From the tail pipes over 20 feet high and smoke from the engine too.

Well, gang, i think its the head gasket. Its gone. Sadly to said, my wife was very mad at me. I invested over $6,000 plus time for this project and it will cost me about 2-3 thousands to get it fix. Once its fix, it will be NA again.

What is my lessen? Bad tunning? or aging motor? I think its both. Bad tunning because the system was running stock fuel supply with slight tune piggy back computer. Aging motor? Well, for any force induction, new engine is highly perferred.

Well, my turbo stuffs are for sale if anyone want to take over this project or i will save everthing and do a complete built motor on a SC400.

Its a sad sad for me and its a sad day for the lexus community.
Old 12-20-02, 03:01 AM
Static911

Wow Mr. Pham. I tracked your project quite closely. I must compliment you on your effort. Many people talked about it, but you did it. I wish you the best with your SC 400 project if you wish to do it.

Ethan
Old 12-20-02, 03:18 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HOLY cow. I am sad about your car, but glad on the other hand that it didn't blow up on you and injure you...when you said "smoke", ya scared me there for a sec. I am in fact sad for a selfish reason...I hope this doesn't mean you won't log onto CL anymore to share your knowledge, along with the other LS tech gurus...you are quite a source of info, valuable to many spanning across various models of Lexus.
Your wife's anger shouldnt last too long, hopefully. Well, do take care, and take it easy.

Last edited by meZoom!; 12-20-02 at 03:50 AM.
Old 12-20-02, 05:13 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, that SUCKS! It was cool to follow your project! Have a 1UZ-FE also (albeit in a SC400) so it was nice to see someone do a turbo setup on it! Very sad day indeed....
Old 12-20-02, 07:06 AM
turbosix
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why should it cost 2-3k to fix a blown hg?
Old 12-20-02, 08:15 AM
GA400
Lead Lap

Unhappy

Healerhand,

So sorry to hear about your ride. I do want to let you know that I have followed your postings on this project from the start and it has taught me a ton about exhaust, turbos, and performance in general.

thanks for sharing the whole story, the good and the bad. I am certain your lovely LS400 will rise again!

GA400
Old 12-20-02, 11:24 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Damn, that sux.
It was good and exciting reading while it lasted though.
Good luck on your future projects.
Old 12-20-02, 01:57 PM
Rice
Pole Position

Default Nice try!

Sorry to see your motor go...
It was a fun saga to follow.
But before you start on your SC engine, consider this old joke:
What is the difference between a stupid man, a smart man and a wise man?
-A stupid man never learns from his mistakes.
-A smart man always learns from his mistakes.
-A wise man learns from others’ mistakes

P.S.
Considering the amount of work you were willing to perform in the past, I am really surprised to hear that a blown head gasket can cause you to junk the project.
Good luck!
Old 12-20-02, 02:17 PM
turbosix
Pole Position

i just got here obviously but i think your project is very very cool. i hope you would consider removing the head to see exactly where it blew. if its just letting coolant into the combustion chamber, all you would have to do is replace the HG. if coolant is in the oil, well, youd need to flush all of the coolant out of the block and it gets a little more involved.. the other guy is right, dont give up!
Old 12-20-02, 02:42 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sorry to see you lose the project like this, it was a great project to follow.
Good luck on the future projects!!!!
Old 12-20-02, 02:54 PM
rhayward
Driver

Default sorry to hear

but that is how good performance design evolves trial and error don't stop work at your friends garage and not at home. so wifey doesn't get upset. I say good effort and you will always want that speed in your ride again.

happy holidays
Old 12-20-02, 03:02 PM
healerhand
Lead Lap

I will be calling Cosmic Gasket today and order a .088" HG. It will lower about 1 CR. Never know, the TT project might re-born again.
Old 12-20-02, 03:52 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by healerhand
I will be calling Cosmic Gasket today and order a .088" HG. It will lower about 1 CR. Never know, the TT project might re-born again.
That's the spirit!!!
Old 12-20-02, 04:38 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Oh man. Sorry to hear about this. I was following your project from the very start. Didn't you have an extra engine laying around in your garage? I am hoping that your project doesn't die.
Old 12-20-02, 04:57 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

David, well... sounds like you are frustrated BUT maybe not terminally so?

Anyway, as you know, forced induction is a favorite of mine but I need to have a reliable way of adjusting fuel and timing before committing further. Hardware is doable. It is the tuning aspect that most concerns me. I have a 60-1 compressor that is good for 400+ hp at 8psi... who knows.

My thoughts are along the lines of an interceptor type device. This would take the signal from the stock ECU and allow JUST fuel and timing changes. This would keep all other operations factory and would not confuse the ECU.

This is WAY WAY out from doable today but thought I would share anyway.

Quick Reply: Saying Goodbye to my Twin Turbo 1UZFE :(