LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Intro: TaffyK20si (over due)

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-13, 09:15 AM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intro: TaffyK20si (over due)

Hey everybody!
My name is Matt. Feel free to call me Matt if you'd like. My username comes from a previous car that I owned. A Taffeta White Honda Civic Si, that I traded for my LS.
I've been a lurker on here for quite some time, picking up bits of useful info and applying them to my 1997 Star Sapphire Pearl LS400. I've owned the car for three years and I honestly couldn't ask for a better car. Very reliable and for the most part very cheap on maintenance. She's just about to hit the 250,000 make and still runs great.
I will try to provide a picture for the mods done to my car and some from the exposure the car has receive from photographers at events and such.

Wheels and suspension:
Work Varianza D3S 19x9+9(2mm spacer to clear big brakes) 19x10+13. 225/35/19(f) 245/35/19(r) and D2 coilovers. Really wanting to upgrade my suspension components due to car shuttering while braking. New pads and rotors from brake motive installed mid 2012.

When wheels and suspension were installed, plus fender work

Modified air box + K&N air filter (very throaty):

Interior: Pioneer 7" touch screen head unit, Grip Royal "royal grain" steering wheel, Touge Factory root beer float shift ****, crown royal reserve custom boot, sport pedals for GS from ebay. Need to re-upholster some of my leather "she's old"

Wired led into shifter to turn on when lights are on.

JP tsuna and fusa

Advanced auto chrome trim grille

Some pro photos taken of the car over the years:
Canibeat

John Zhang (canibeat/******)

I've reached my photo limit so continuing on next post...
Old 03-07-13, 09:30 AM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Misc. local and other cool pics:

I know there are plenty more pics but I won't waste any more of your guys time lol. Any questions please ask. I want to do plenty more to the car as money and time will allow.
I've already had huge amounts of help on this forum from Yamae on my door issues I'm having. Hopefully I can pay it forward and be of some use to other while gathering info on these cars!
Thanks for looking!
Old 03-07-13, 09:55 AM
Zachsta
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great looking car, welcome to the boards man.
Old 03-07-13, 10:09 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

The car is really nice welcome.
Old 03-07-13, 11:00 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice! welcome.
Old 03-07-13, 11:59 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Well done, thanks for sharing.
Old 03-07-13, 11:59 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

been wondering why we have not seen more of it. was it repainted a monotone? love the color and wheel combo.

wheels specs are close to what i'm going to be running. i was planning on running 215(f) and 225(r) but seeing that you are running wider tires makes me rethink. what fender mods did you do to make it all fit?
Old 03-07-13, 12:05 PM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Thanks a lot guys!
Yes, the car was painted monotone Star Sapphire Pearl by the previous owner.
The front fenders have a mild roll and pull. The passenger side needs to see the body shop soon though... tire grabbed it one day while backing out of a drive way
The rear fenders have been grinded with a side grinder. You can't get a sheet of paper between them and my tire yet somehow they don't rub. I had another member ask me about the mods to the rear fenders and I meant to get him a picture since my stock wheels are still on for winter. Thanks for the reminder. I'll post it on here too if interested.
Old 03-07-13, 12:09 PM
I'mStock
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TaffyK20si
Advanced auto chrome trim grille

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/photo1cu.jpg/]
Digging this... I wonder if I could dremel out the "L" and just run the strips across the gap? I'm tired of trying to source a badgless grill for my '95...

Old 03-07-13, 12:18 PM
TaffyK20si
Driver

It's a very good possibility. There is quite a bit of raised plastic right there where the "L" sits though. I would try to track down a spare, just in case you don't like it or mess up. I was very reluctant to even try doing the strips. For the longest time I was on the fence about it. After it was done I was like... DAMN I shoulda done that a long time ago lol
Old 03-07-13, 12:24 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by TaffyK20si
It's a very good possibility. There is quite a bit of raised plastic right there where the "L" sits though. I would try to track down a spare, just in case you don't like it or mess up. I was very reluctant to even try doing the strips. For the longest time I was on the fence about it. After it was done I was like... DAMN I shoulda done that a long time ago lol
Where did you get the strips from?
Old 03-07-13, 12:25 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, wheels are awesome!!! Quick question though.... what did you cut out the box for? To make space for the K&N filter??
Old 03-07-13, 12:39 PM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Originally Posted by sha4000
Where did you get the strips from?
Advanced auto parts. You could probably get them at any auto parts store though. IIRC they were the 1/2" size.

Originally Posted by djsurfer
Looks great, wheels are awesome!!! Quick question though.... what did you cut out the box for? To make space for the K&N filter??
No. k&n fits the air box fine normally. I had read a DIY a long time ago where a guy had cut a hole in his to grab air from behind the passenger head light instead of just from the "snorkel". I've also seen some were people have basically cut the WHOLE front side of the box off with the exception of the outer ring to lock it down. I thought that was a little over kill lol.
Anyway, I did this after I tried an aftermarket cone type filter and the motor didn't seem to like it. Seemed to bog it down or heat soak the filter too much. It had great sound though.
With this mod, I was able to keep heat out of the box and the k&n cone shape helped retain the throaty sound that the aftermarket "CAI" type filter provided.
Old 03-07-13, 02:06 PM
Ls400RR
Rookie

Damn car looks good.

I was planning on trying a similar idea for the grill.
Old 03-07-13, 02:45 PM
TaffyK20si
Driver

Originally Posted by Ls400RR
Damn car looks good.

I was planning on trying a similar idea for the grill.
Thanks!

This is the car that I got the idea from. I looked forever trying to find this grill with no luck. Turns out it's cheap little strips of chrome lol

Quick Reply: Intro: TaffyK20si (over due)