LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

'96 LS400 - What are those electronics in the right wheel well under the carpet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 03:26 PM
Sixxgrand
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '96 LS400 - What are those electronics in the right wheel well under the carpet?

Hello all!

Please could some one tell me what the electronics (found in the right side of the lower trunk, right behind wheel well, under the carpet and cover) are for?

I am worried because I see that there is a small puddle (now frozen since I live in norther Alberta) gathered just below those electronics in the lower part of that compartment.

I hope someone can shed some light on what those electronics do and better yet - suggest how I may stop water ingress to that compartment (from melting snow on the car - not driving in the rain)

Sincere thanks to everyone who helps out!

--Jeff
Old 02-28-13, 04:40 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

It sounds like you have one of the optional dealer installed Lexus phone options. Do you have a phone controller on the left side of your steering wheel and any sign that there was ever a phone handset in the upper console tray?

Got a photo? If it's a phone ECU in your trunk, unplug the two large connectors from it and plug them together. Unplug any other connectors and get them up and out of the way from the moisture or you may end up suppressing the sound from your audio system. On cars without the phone system the cables are attached to a plastic bracket attached to the bottom of the tool kit receptacle.
Old 02-28-13, 08:51 PM
Sixxgrand
Driver School Candidate

Yes, it does have the Lexus installed Motorola flip phone installation. I have removed the phone and left the small plug in inside the upper glove box in the console. The Nak audio system works flawlessly.

Would you still suggest I plug the two connectors together in lieu of the audio performing perfectly?

Many, many thanks!

--J

Originally Posted by Kansas
It sounds like you have one of the optional dealer installed Lexus phone options. Do you have a phone controller on the left side of your steering wheel and any sign that there was ever a phone handset in the upper console tray?

Got a photo? If it's a phone ECU in your trunk, unplug the two large connectors from it and plug them together. Unplug any other connectors and get them up and out of the way from the moisture or you may end up suppressing the sound from your audio system. On cars without the phone system the cables are attached to a plastic bracket attached to the bottom of the tool kit receptacle.
Old 03-01-13, 04:02 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Yes, unplug the two large connectors from the phone CPU and plug them together. A friend's Nak in his 99 LS400 quit working a few years back. I suggested that he remove the phone system but he kept it in just for the novelty. His Nak quit working for maybe a year and he finally bought a replacement Nak head unit and amp from a member of this forum. The replacement Nak/amp didn't produce any sound. I finally disconnected the large cables from his phone ECU and his Nak came to life - should have seen the expression on his face!

There is no reason to keep the phone ECU connected or even in the car - it's analog and useless.
Old 03-01-13, 06:51 AM
Sixxgrand
Driver School Candidate

Great info! Many thanks! I will certainly get this done once the weather warms in the coming months!

--J

Originally Posted by Kansas
Yes, unplug the two large connectors from the phone CPU and plug them together. A friend's Nak in his 99 LS400 quit working a few years back. I suggested that he remove the phone system but he kept it in just for the novelty. His Nak quit working for maybe a year and he finally bought a replacement Nak head unit and amp from a member of this forum. The replacement Nak/amp didn't produce any sound. I finally disconnected the large cables from his phone ECU and his Nak came to life - should have seen the expression on his face!

There is no reason to keep the phone ECU connected or even in the car - it's analog and useless.
Old 03-01-13, 11:39 AM
Sixxgrand
Driver School Candidate

Here is a picture of the electronics in the lower right trunk compartment of my '96 Lexus.

I see no Motorola markings what so ever.

Since my Nak system is working flawlessly - should I monkey about with these electronics?

Also since could you be more specific in as to which plugs I should join according to what you see in this picture?

Many thanks again!
Old 03-01-13, 05:07 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

I'll try to provide a little more information than I gave you in the response to your PM. Disconnect all the connectors. Unbolt the phone ECU and anything else connected to it and remove it from the car. Plug the two large connectors on the cars wiring harness together. If you want to do an especially neat job see if the white plastic bracket is still attached to the tool box receptacle and plug the two large connectors "through" the bracket (if I remember correctly). Don't cut any wires!

I found a photo of the plastic bracket attached to the bottom of the tool kit housing that holds the two large connectors when they are plugged on the 95-00 LS400 as it comes from the factory. Not a very good photo but the most important thing is to get the remaining connectors (after you remove the phone ECU) up and away from any water that might collect in the trunk well.
Attached Thumbnails '96 LS400 - What are those electronics in the right wheel well under the carpet?-trunk-connector-3.jpg  
Old 03-02-13, 07:33 AM
Sixxgrand
Driver School Candidate

Jim,

I sent you another PM. Please I am not sure which two connectors to join together. Could you circle and or arrow the photo which I supplied indicating which two plugs need to mate?

Kind thanks once again,

--Jeff
Old 03-02-13, 10:45 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sixxgrand
Could you circle and or arrow the photo which I supplied indicating which two plugs need to mate?
I sent you another PM describing them but here is a close up of the two large connectors that have to mated after being unplugged from their counterpart large connectors on the phone ECU harness.

One of the wires/pins on the factory prewire large connectors is an audio mute. If the phone ECU gets damaged (e.g. by water) the mute wire can become grounded and force the audio system into mute mode.

The attached photo from almost ten years ago shows me testing for and finding the audio system mute wire in the two large joined connectors while I was installing a Nokia handsfree phone kit in my 00 LS. I didn't use this particular mute point and instead used an audio system mute pin in a driver side connector under the front armrest. The 95-97 LS also has an audio system mute pin under the armrest but the connector is a little different than the 98-00.
Attached Thumbnails '96 LS400 - What are those electronics in the right wheel well under the carpet?-test-for-mute-wire-1-.jpg   '96 LS400 - What are those electronics in the right wheel well under the carpet?-1996-ls400-phone-ecu-large-connectors.jpg  
Old 03-04-13, 08:23 AM
Sixxgrand
Driver School Candidate

Excellent!