LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

rear wheel alignment

Old 02-17-13, 08:14 AM
DannySz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear wheel alignment

I know this might be an old topic here, but I didnt find the information i need.

I see my rear wheels have a horrible toe issue and i was looking today under the car and cant figure out where are the bolts to fix that.

Does anyone have a picture showing them?

thanks
Old 02-17-13, 04:20 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

for what year...?

any alignment place should be able to fix your toe using the standard adjustments.
Old 02-17-13, 06:53 PM
DannySz
Rookie

Please anyone show me. In china the people is very stupid and they are telling me to buy a new rear carrier, for no reason. So if I show them we can figure it out.

thanks
Old 02-23-13, 06:04 AM
DannySz
Rookie

Bump!

please guys, seriously. These chinese guys are useless. They think its impossible and i really need to fix this up ASAP as i have a road trip soon. Im driving 45MPH and if I step over wet road the car start to "drift" sideways.

I think I will do it myself, or at least to help the guys in the shop.

Where are these bolts/nuts located to adjust rear toe. Pics or Videos will be very appreciated.
Old 02-23-13, 06:59 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

I have a Japanese manual for 94. It shows how to adjust but there are too many pages to show you here and things are all written in Japanese.
Old 02-23-13, 07:14 AM
DannySz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Yamae
I have a Japanese manual for 94. It shows how to adjust but there are too many pages to show you here and things are all written in Japanese.
maybe with the pictures will be enough for me. An e-manual or a website.. I cant find info anywhere.

plus, i dont understand chinese nor japanese hehe
Old 02-23-13, 07:20 AM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by DannySz
maybe with the pictures will be enough for me. An e-manual or a website.. I cant find info anywhere.

plus, i dont understand chinese nor japanese hehe
Download from below. I just uploaded it. The drawings will be probably helpful for you.
There are some Japanese people in your area and ask them if you need to read.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/vsb8jb
See pages 4-8 to 4-12

The link is only available for a few more days.
Hope this helps your LS400 life.

Last edited by Yamae; 02-23-13 at 07:25 AM.
Old 02-23-13, 07:27 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Honestly,, if you are at a shop that does any kind of suspension and alignment work, and they DON'T know how to adjust toe/camber,,,,have them put the car back on the ground, get your keys and go somewhere else. Not trying to be mean, but with any shop that does suspension work, this is pretty standard stuff. Hope this diagram will help you out abit.

Old 02-23-13, 08:29 AM
DannySz
Rookie

Originally Posted by trukn1
Honestly,, if you are at a shop that does any kind of suspension and alignment work, and they DON'T know how to adjust toe/camber,,,,have them put the car back on the ground, get your keys and go somewhere else. Not trying to be mean, but with any shop that does suspension work, this is pretty standard stuff. Hope this diagram will help you out abit.

Thanks for the diagram

and thats exactly what i do. I've been in several shops and they all think the only wheels to align are the front and they look at the rears and dont understand anything. Chinese people is too new to cars and service is a PITA and a POS.

They think the rears must have threaded links to be adjusted.
Old 02-23-13, 09:32 AM
SammySnit
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DannySz
Thanks for the diagram

and thats exactly what i do. I've been in several shops and they all think the only wheels to align are the front and they look at the rears and dont understand anything. Chinese people is too new to cars and service is a PITA and a POS.

They think the rears must have threaded links to be adjusted.
Have you checked the condition of the suspension bushings? If the car gets squirrely while driving, something must be loose or severely worn. If they're bad, just replacing the worn out bushings may solve most of the problem. The diagram above shows adjustment cams for camber and toe. Mark the cams before taking it apart and put it back in the same place.

You'll still want to get it aligned. All you need are techs with enough brain matter to know how to adjust it.
Old 02-23-13, 10:26 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

^^ agree with above statement. You most likely have worn out bushings(common problem with these cars). I only posted the above diagram b/c he asked to know where the adjustment bolts were and that was the only one I could find off the cuff. Based on what you stated on post #3, your carrier arm bushings are worn out. From a labor standpoint, it is much easier to just replace the entire arm with the new bushing already installed rather than to try ot just replace the bushings themselves. From the standpoint of your pocket, you CAN just replace the bushings, but you will have to have the pressed out. I should have read the entire post before I responded last time. Proper alignment, as stated above, WILL still be necessary with any kind of suspension work.
Old 02-23-13, 09:18 PM
DannySz
Rookie

thanks guys, I replaced bushings and suspension overall was revised.
Old 02-24-13, 11:50 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Congrats, the KNOWLEDGEABLE ppl on this site are so helpful and patient.