LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Introducing myself and my LS

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 01:40 AM
DannySz
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Introducing myself and my LS

Hello Everyone.

Im new to this forum as i got my first lexus 6 days ago. Im a BMW lover, but the Lexus is def stealing my heart.

Im 26 from south america, living in China since 2006. This car will be my daily beater for me to take my kid to kinder garden and do my things.

I'd like you guys help me out with some issues i got so far, hope to get them fixed asap.

So this is the car the first day:

after an hour:

second day:

3rd day, detailing:

interior:

and yesterday i got a real japanese tag to cover the original place for the rear plate and move the long chinese tag to the bumper.

the result:

and a bonus:

now. the issues.

My fuel gauge wont work properly, it goes uo to 1/4 and then empty, randomly. never tells me how much fuel i actually have.
And the other is that i think it had a hit in the rear left wheel and is severally misaligned. (toe in to the right) So it makes the car very dangerous to drive in wet conditions even at 30MPH.

Can i make rear alignment? it also has a bad noise when i pass over a bump. What bushings do I have to keep in mind? what are the common issues with these cars?

Comments, critics, help are all welcome.

ps: excuse my english if its not perfect.
Old 02-05-13, 01:50 AM
ls400geek
Driver

I am guessing, based on what I've read here and the Internet, the problem with the fuel gauge is a common one for pre 1995 LS400's : probably a bad electrolytic capacitor in the instrument panel circuitry? You'll probably want to recap the instrument panel and ECU if you're handy with soldering.

Some things that were recently done to my recently acquired 1998 LS400: new engine mounts, transmission mount, lower ball joints / tie rod ends, resealing of power steering, timing belt, water pump, front seals, 4 wheel alignment, thermostat replacement, valve cover gaskets (along with pcv valve & grommet). If that 94 was my car I'd recap every electrolytic capacitor I could find in it. Also, I'd replace engine air filter, cabin air filter, change oil & filter (using mobile 1 or another good full synthetic & denso/toyota oem filter), replace brake fluid (if it looks old), replace power steering fluid (dex iii for mine), drain & fill on transmission (Toyota OEM type T-IV fluid only--no dexron), differential fluid (I haven't yet done th is on mine but I need to).

As far as the rear alignment goes I'd take it to a dealership and have them check it all out (if it has been hit and all).

Last edited by ls400geek; 02-05-13 at 02:08 AM.
Old 02-05-13, 06:43 AM
DannySz
Rookie

Originally Posted by ls400geek
I am guessing, based on what I've read here and the Internet, the problem with the fuel gauge is a common one for pre 1995 LS400's : probably a bad electrolytic capacitor in the instrument panel circuitry? You'll probably want to recap the instrument panel and ECU if you're handy with soldering.

Some things that were recently done to my recently acquired 1998 LS400: new engine mounts, transmission mount, lower ball joints / tie rod ends, resealing of power steering, timing belt, water pump, front seals, 4 wheel alignment, thermostat replacement, valve cover gaskets (along with pcv valve & grommet). If that 94 was my car I'd recap every electrolytic capacitor I could find in it. Also, I'd replace engine air filter, cabin air filter, change oil & filter (using mobile 1 or another good full synthetic & denso/toyota oem filter), replace brake fluid (if it looks old), replace power steering fluid (dex iii for mine), drain & fill on transmission (Toyota OEM type T-IV fluid only--no dexron), differential fluid (I haven't yet done th is on mine but I need to).

As far as the rear alignment goes I'd take it to a dealership and have them check it all out (if it has been hit and all).
Thanks for your input. I will take all that in mind and will do ASAP.

Old 02-05-13, 12:41 PM
morillest4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice LS! Any future mods in mind?
Old 02-05-13, 12:53 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

thats a really nice LS
Old 02-05-13, 03:08 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. The rear suspension clunk could be due to either the rear subframe bolts being loose, a rotted out top shock mount, and/or a worn rear carrier arm bushing.

The 2 main culprits for the fuel gauge problem are either the gauge itself (unlikely if only that one gauge is having problems, though still possible) or the fuel level sender, inside the gas tank.
Old 02-05-13, 08:26 PM
DannySz
Rookie

Originally Posted by morillest4
Nice LS! Any future mods in mind?
thank you sir. for now Im gonna focus on details and mantainance.

Originally Posted by 1sWt2GS
thats a really nice LS
thanks man.

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
Congrats on the purchase. The rear suspension clunk could be due to either the rear subframe bolts being loose, a rotted out top shock mount, and/or a worn rear carrier arm bushing.

The 2 main culprits for the fuel gauge problem are either the gauge itself (unlikely if only that one gauge is having problems, though still possible) or the fuel level sender, inside the gas tank.
Good info!, I will replace all bushings and will check all rubbers and parts of the suspension. Now, for the fuel gauge level sender, do you have a pic or part number? I wanna make sure i get the right part. Sorry for being such a newbie.

Last edited by DannySz; 02-05-13 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-07-13, 11:39 AM
DesertLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I can't help with the issues but just wanted to say you have a clean-looking LS. Congrats on the purchase and getting on this forum, there is lots of useful information.
Old 02-08-13, 12:19 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice.
Try and find a 300 series license plate. 5 series are 2L and under displacement.
Old 02-08-13, 12:46 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Welcome to the boards!