LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Stuck Nuts on Megan Coilovers (Can't Adjust Height)

Old 02-18-13, 03:33 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, Im upset because they are not doing much to help out. And the only option theyre giving me is to put in more money into this set than they are worth. And that IM not even sure of WHAT IM DOING?!? I have a little less than 10 ASE certs, one being Suspension & Steering, Im pretty damn sure me and 3 other automotive shops know what we are doing. Damn right shame on them, they understand the situation but why such the lack of support and belief? And no Im glad I didnt take that offer, Id rather throw them away than sending them back to a company and investing more than their worth and instead of selling them to an ignorant person.
Old 02-18-13, 04:03 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Very unfortunate for sure. Save yourself the further aggravation and toss these in the circular file for the next trash pick-up. Call CircuitMS and get yourself some fresh units. You'll have a dealer with support and peace of mind.

I can see Megan's side and they probably realized this was a southward issue to deal with. Sometimes these places can be generous but often enough the PR is of minimal thought so it is just dumped on the end user. Luckily none of this resulted in a disastrous result so it is only a $ lesson.

Sometimes even the techs at these companies give a clueless answer. I've had my share of similar situations, part of playing the game. It is ok
Old 02-18-13, 04:26 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by djsurfer
No, Im upset because they are not doing much to help out. And the only option theyre giving me is to put in more money into this set than they are worth. And that IM not even sure of WHAT IM DOING?!? I have a little less than 10 ASE certs, one being Suspension & Steering, Im pretty damn sure me and 3 other automotive shops know what we are doing. Damn right shame on them, they understand the situation but why such the lack of support and belief? And no Im glad I didnt take that offer, Id rather throw them away than sending them back to a company and investing more than their worth and instead of selling them to an ignorant person.
so you:
a- bought used coilovers that turned out to be seized.
b- Have tried and failed to get the collar/mount unseized from the dirt/corrosion that's got them stuck.
c- have not said how old the coilovers are, but expect warranty service (Megan's warranty is 1year from new purchase date)
d- Got mad because Megan is warning you that used, seized coilovers aren't likely to be covered under warranty, and even if they were you would still be paying for shipping.

You have some very unrealistic expectations. A part of the regular care and maint. for any set of coilovers is keeping them cleaned and lubricated so they don't seize up, it's even written in the manual for the megans. Megan deals with many people who DON'T DO THIS and end up with seized coils that they need parts for. It doesn't surprise me that they would rather just ship you the parts for the coils since they're seized.

I've heard of and seen companies make bad decisions for customer support, but in this case Megan seems to be following standard protocol, and it's you who seems to have some overly high expectations.

Unless these coilovers are within warranty period, and you can definitively show specifically that it was a manufacturer defect of some type that caused the coil to seize and not a product of user negligence, you don't have much case for them.
Old 02-18-13, 08:00 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why not just cut the collars carefully? It's F'ed up anyways
Old 02-18-13, 08:25 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dranom
why not just cut the collars carefully? It's F'ed up anyways
That's an idea, but I don't see how anybody could cut the collars without touching the threaded shaft. No point in cutting the collars off, if after you can't adjust it because that threads on the shaft are all messed up. The threads are pretty fine and it wouldn't take much to mess them up.
Old 02-18-13, 08:36 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use a dremel to cut not a grinder. if he's careful enough it's doable
Old 03-19-13, 11:43 AM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

I have a HALF set of Megan EZs on my car because 2 of my coilovers have seemed to have seized and cant be lowered so I took them off, and due to the lack of help from Megan Racing I have tanabe springs in the front. Im currently looking into buying a new set of coilovers from a different company because I refuse to buy or keep using their products due to the fact that they arent willing to help while blaming everything on "Incorrect Installment" because they do not see a reason why they should be seized. Mind you this has been installedby a reputable shop in San Diego and have taken it to 2 more shops and they told me they arent damaged but the bottom collar of the strut is stuck or seized to the threads. Id search around and look for different alternatives and see ALL available options before purchasing anything from Megan Racing. Customer service is HORRIBLE since their R&D team is out of the country so replies from them are scarce if not, non-existent. Dealing with them over the phone is even worse... Goodluck with dealing with them if you have a damaged part. I dont mean to downgrade anybody but when all options are exhausted and nothing has been solved, then no other options are available as Megan Racing knows themselves. Goodluck!
Old 03-19-13, 12:09 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by djsurfer
I have a HALF set of Megan EZs on my car because 2 of my coilovers have seemed to have seized and cant be lowered so I took them off, and due to the lack of help from Megan Racing I have tanabe springs in the front. Im currently looking into buying a new set of coilovers from a different company because I refuse to buy or keep using their products due to the fact that they arent willing to help while blaming everything on "Incorrect Installment" because they do not see a reason why they should be seized. Mind you this has been installedby a reputable shop in San Diego and have taken it to 2 more shops and they told me they arent damaged but the bottom collar of the strut is stuck or seized to the threads. Id search around and look for different alternatives and see ALL available options before purchasing anything from Megan Racing. Customer service is HORRIBLE since their R&D team is out of the country so replies from them are scarce if not, non-existent. Dealing with them over the phone is even worse... Goodluck with dealing with them if you have a damaged part. I dont mean to downgrade anybody but when all options are exhausted and nothing has been solved, then no other options are available as Megan Racing knows themselves. Goodluck!
YOU bought a set of used, seized coilovers. It's not Megan's fault that the previous owner didn't maintain/clean them at all.

I've got 4+ years on mine and they havent skipped a beat. Customer service has been decent as well.

Of course if I was trying to get them to replace something that wasn't their responsibility then they may behave differently.
Old 03-19-13, 12:25 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
YOU bought a set of used, seized coilovers. It's not Megan's fault that the previous owner didn't maintain/clean them at all.

I've got 4+ years on mine and they havent skipped a beat. Customer service has been decent as well.

Of course if I was trying to get them to replace something that wasn't their responsibility then they may behave differently.
That is completely understood, now when Megan was contacted they offered no help watsoever. There is no visible damage which should be working and the coils look next to new which should have NO problems watsoever. You did not go through what I went through to try and get them to either service or replace them and I would be willing to pay for half a set, and that wasnt an option either. They are looking for meto buy a WHOLE new set which I am NOT doing. You didnt have the issues I have so you have NO idea what you are talking about. Dont argue about something you have NO idea how to handle or would do in my position. Not good customer service period!!! YOU dont know what you are talking about so stop repeating yourself in different threads. And what do you know about their customer service, As far as I know all you did was buy them if they havent "skipped a beat". I'm only speaking for myself and the experience I've had. I have nothing against you but you havent had my same issue or response. Maybe you have contacted them before and were helpful to you but not to me. I'm only putting in my 2 cents with my experience as previously stated.

Last edited by djsurfer; 03-19-13 at 01:39 PM.