LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Introduction - SquiddyB6S4 aka The Squid

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 04:32 AM
SquiddyB6S
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Introduction - SquiddyB6S4 aka The Squid

Hello all. This being my [second] post, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Jason. My experiences include time spent as an auto mechanic/diagnostician, Formula SAE, Grand-Am CTSCC, amateur racing as driver, and I am currently an engineer - my degree is in mechanical engineering. I am no stranger to welding, fabrication, and machining, and though I rarely get a chance any more to perform myself, I do work regularly with local fabrication and machine shops and I have some fab equipment myself. I like squid, obviously, because they're awesome. My other car is an Audi S4 4.2, but my Lexus is my daily driver. I've had a couple motorcycles also, but have finally kicked the habit and stuck with four wheels.

Okay, blah blah blah, yackety schmakety. You wanted to hear about my car. Her name is The Bullfrog, due to the bullfrog sound emitted many times after parking. She's a 1996 LS400 with rear air, no heated seats, and no traction control, with about 242,000 miles on the original engine and trans. She runs great and everything works, inside and out. Previous owner had one good accident, so in the right light you can see that some of the paint doesn't match on about half the car, but there is no frame damage or repair whatsoever, so I was okay with buying the car. She's not worth much, but she's a great car and I don't see getting rid of her any time soon.

Short list of mods:
-18" SC430 wheels, currently wearing 225/50/18 95T Conti ProContacts w/ EcoPlus, 10mm spacers up front to keep from interfering with brakes, no spacers in the rear yet

Significant repairs I have made so far, and nobody works on my car but myself:
-New P/S pump, cleaned out P/S reservoir and screen
-New timing belt, idlers, tensioner, water pump, front main seal
-New accessory drive belt and roller/bearing
-New a/c compressor and drier, vacuum system down, hold, and recharge
-used UCF10 IACV purchased, rebuilt, and installed
-replaced trans and both engine mounts
-Both rear door lock motors internally cleaned and restored to proper operation

I have been keeping used oil analysis on the trans to see when it's finally going to kick the bucket. Not yet, but it's coming down the pipe eventually. I am hoping that in a couple years I will use this car to tow a shifter kart or F500 on a small trailer, so I may rebuild the transmission at that time if it doesn't go by then.

I think that's it. I have been a forum member on several different forums with the various cars I have owned, and will try to lend a brain cell here and there when I see a thread I can help.

Last edited by SquiddyB6S; 01-12-13 at 04:34 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 01-12-13, 05:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,125 Likes on 1,296 Posts

Welcome to CL Jason!