LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

98LS400 CD changer Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-13, 01:55 PM
randy2016
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98LS400 CD changer Question

Hi, I tried to play a recorded cd (CD-R 700MB) in my changer and it didn't want to play. It did identify that there were 6 songs on the disk, but it would not play them. Does anyone know if these changers will play cds that have been recorded (maybe they won't; it is 1998 technology). Maybe they don't like certain disks; this was a staples CD-R 700MB. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks
Old 01-10-13, 02:04 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

they do play, you just have to make sure they are facing the right way. i bet you have your CDs upside down .
Old 01-10-13, 05:05 PM
lexaus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah! If they were upside down it wouldn't know there were 6 tracks on the CD.
My 1995 LS400 with pioneer CD stacker plays recorded CDs. I burnt a couple of coasters before I figured out you have to create an audio CD rather than copy the audio files to CD. The way you do that depends on your CD burning software. I did mine with imgburn for copying original CDs and Audacity plus Windows 7 Media Player for ripping from vinyl.and burning to CD
Make sure you are using the original .wav files from the original CD not MP3s.
I've got an FM Modulator wired up to my stereo so I can play mp3s from my phone, but if I have the original CD I always use it or burn a copy because the CD quality is so much better than MP3.
Ironically one of the first CDs I burnt was Neil Young's Psychedelic Pill. If you've read his book or listened to the album you'll hear him lamenting the loss of audio quality with MP3s.
"Don't want my MP3 ..." He's actually involved with a project called pure tone to bring the quality back to music.
If you need any more info about burning CDs give me a yell
The following users liked this post:
joetee (11-10-22)
Old 01-10-13, 11:28 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

The readout signal of a CD-R is not as strong as a CD. This causes bit errors and it is often the case that an old Pioneer CD changer cannot play CD-R well enough. New unit can mostly OK to play CD-Rs but as dusts build up at the lens, less laser beam energy can pass through and the readout signal becomes weaker. One idea is to clean the lens. Another idea is to use a CD-R made for audio applications. When these are not fully effective the next way is to increase the gain of the per-amplifier in the head unit. But this requires special equipments and some technical experience.
joetee (11-10-22)
Old 01-11-13, 09:50 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

my changer's played pretty much nothing but burned discs since I bought the car, as long as you're sure the disc was finalized after burning it'll be fine.
Old 03-19-22, 05:33 PM
refrigman
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile Upside down CDs- who woulda thunk?

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
they do play, you just have to make sure they are facing the right way. i bet you have your CDs upside down .
Just found this thread 1 1/2 years after buying my 95 LS and finding that the CD player seemed to work but did not play any CDs.Today I was thinking about replacing my head unit due to non repairable LCD non-display and more recent death of the cassette player with which I had found a way to use all my ancient cassette I had never gotten rid of. BUT when I read about the CDs going in UPSIDE DOWN I knew I had probably found my problem there. Never would have occurred to me but I tried it, lo and behold---Success and sweet music. Thanks once again to the Club Lexus forums for old advice on new and old problems on old but great cars! So I will remove the cassettes stored in the console and replace with some of the equally many CDs I still have and rarely play at home.. (I just reinstalled a turntable so I can play my ancient vinyl!) So, thank you all once again.
joetee (11-10-22)
Old 03-20-22, 02:18 PM
refrigman
Driver School Candidate

Smile Looking for Pioneer CD Magazines for '95-2002 LS or compatible

Now that I know to turn the CDs over I could use another few CD magazines and hope some of you whose players are dead or no longer used might have some complete with the plastic CD holder inserts that you would sell inexpensively. If so, please PM me or let me know so I can PM you .I know that the same Pioneer players were used in other models of similar years also. I'm thinking practically no one is still playing CDs so I am hoping there are some of these just gathering dust. Thanks, Dave.
Old 03-20-22, 03:57 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by refrigman
Now that I know to turn the CDs over I could use another few CD magazines and hope some of you whose players are dead or no longer used might have some complete with the plastic CD holder inserts that you would sell inexpensively. If so, please PM me or let me know so I can PM you .I know that the same Pioneer players were used in other models of similar years also. I'm thinking practically no one is still playing CDs so I am hoping there are some of these just gathering dust. Thanks, Dave.
You can use Pioneer magazines. Six-disc magazines came in swing-out or removable tray types. The removable tray type (JD-T612) are harder to find. There is one odd magazine that loads CD's label side up.

IIRC, Magnavox used Pioneer swing-out, label down magazines.

Last edited by paulo57509; 03-20-22 at 04:09 PM.
joetee (11-10-22)
Old 03-21-22, 09:40 AM
aptoslexus
Advanced

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

They're fairly cheap at Lexus dealers. I picked one up along with some random Lexus parts for about $20 last year.
https://parts.prestigelexus.com/prod...rm=86273-50050

Last edited by aptoslexus; 03-21-22 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-28-22, 04:58 PM
refrigman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I found a CL ad from Philadelphia area where I am getting 4 magazines, 2 new and 2 used, for $41 delivered. BUT I found my system plays well and changes discs but I only get a track from each disc before it changes discs. I think it plays the first track and then moves on but it might be doing a random track from each. Can anyone tell me what might be going on, and how to change to just play each disc in its entirety before moving to the next? Sounds like I am getting some kind of random program choice. I haven't found an online available manual for my 1995 Pioneer system. (not Nakamichi).
The left 2 buttons marked 1 and 2 seem to change discs forward and back. The next 2 (3 and 4) seem to go fast reverse and forward within a track) and I am unsure of the last 2 (5 and 6). My stereo display is mostly gone so I don't get a lot of visible information when doing anything and am partially guessing at what is happening. All of which I can live with if I can just listen to one full CD after another. For audio books in particular that is vital. Thanks..
Old 03-28-22, 05:23 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

haha glad i could help, all these years ago to now! i still listen to CDs myself.
Old 04-05-22, 11:52 AM
refrigman
Driver School Candidate

Default More cd help, please?

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
haha glad i could help, all these years ago to now! i still listen to CDs myself.
Please see my most recent previous post in this thread. My CDs play just 1 track before skipping to the next disc. I THINK it might just be user ignorance.1995LS400 Standard not Nakamichi system. I don't know what the buttons numbered 1-6 do exactly.When I insert a magazine of 6 discs and then select CD, what should then happen? I assume the first CD should shift into play position and then play the entire CD. Could I have somehow chosen a randomize track play option that causes only 1 track from a disc to play and then skip to a track from another disc? If so, how do I go back to normal play? I don't know how to just play discs 1-6 (all tracks of each) sequentially. I see that button 1 seems to skip to previous disc and 2 to skip to next disc. But I still only then get 1 track of that disc before changing to a track from the next disc. Button 3 and 4 seem to just fast rewind and fast forward within the track. And 5 and 6 do nothing upon first pushing but a 2nd push then changes to a different track (I think). If anyone has an original owner manual that might solve this as well, or a copy, or ???Does anyone else still play CDs in their LS with this type of system like mine? Especially for audio books my current situation really won't work. Thanks for any help. Dave.
Old 04-05-22, 12:59 PM
paulo57509
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 178 Posts

Thanks. I found a CL ad from Philadelphia area where I am getting 4 magazines, 2 new and 2 used, for $41 delivered. BUT I found my system plays well and changes discs but I only get a track from each disc before it changes discs. I think it plays the first track and then moves on but it might be doing a random track from each. Can anyone tell me what might be going on, and how to change to just play each disc in its entirety before moving to the next? Sounds like I am getting some kind of random program choice. I haven't found an online available manual for my 1995 Pioneer system. (not Nakamichi).
The left 2 buttons marked 1 and 2 seem to change discs forward and back. The next 2 (3 and 4) seem to go fast reverse and forward within a track) and I am unsure of the last 2 (5 and 6). My stereo display is mostly gone so I don't get a lot of visible information when doing anything and am partially guessing at what is happening. All of which I can live with if I can just listen to one full CD after another. For audio books in particular that is vital. Thanks..
Please see my most recent previous post in this thread. My CDs play just 1 track before skipping to the next disc. I THINK it might just be user ignorance.1995LS400 Standard not Nakamichi system. I don't know what the buttons numbered 1-6 do exactly.When I insert a magazine of 6 discs and then select CD, what should then happen? I assume the first CD should shift into play position and then play the entire CD. Could I have somehow chosen a randomize track play option that causes only 1 track from a disc to play and then skip to a track from another disc? If so, how do I go back to normal play? I don't know how to just play discs 1-6 (all tracks of each) sequentially. I see that button 1 seems to skip to previous disc and 2 to skip to next disc. But I still only then get 1 track of that disc before changing to a track from the next disc. Button 3 and 4 seem to just fast rewind and fast forward within the track. And 5 and 6 do nothing upon first pushing but a 2nd push then changes to a different track (I think). If anyone has an original owner manual that might solve this as well, or a copy, or ???Does anyone else still play CDs in their LS with this type of system like mine? Especially for audio books my current situation really won't work. Thanks for any help. Dave.
It seems like you really aren't sure of what the radio station preset buttons do when you're playing CD's. You are aware that when the system is playing CD's, the functions of the radio preset buttons appear right above them in the LCD display? I don't know if this is much help unless the 1995 changer functions like the 1998 changer:

Preset button 1-2 controls which disc is played; 1 = up, 2 = down
Preset button 3-4 controls (when held down); 3 = reverse, 4 = fast forward
Preset button 5-6; 5 = repeat current track, 6 = random track selection

However, from your description, it sounds like your changer isn't functioning as it should be.
Old 04-05-22, 01:49 PM
refrigman
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks for info.

Originally Posted by paulo57509
It seems like you really aren't sure of what the radio station preset buttons do when you're playing CD's. You are aware that when the system is playing CD's, the functions of the radio preset buttons appear right above them in the LCD display? I don't know if this is much help unless the 1995 changer functions like the 1998 changer:

Preset button 1-2 controls which disc is played; 1 = up, 2 = down
Preset button 3-4 controls (when held down); 3 = reverse, 4 = fast forward
Preset button 5-6; 5 = repeat current track, 6 = random track selection

However, from your description, it sounds like your changer isn't functioning as it should be.
Maybe my pressing button 6 twice has put it into random mode. My display, as with so many of them, has mostly died so that is pretty useless except for displaying disc number being played. I will fiddle with it some more based on your information. It might be a function of pressing button 6 twice. Hopefully I’ll figure it out now that you confirmed the use of each button. Wish me luck! Dave
Old 04-14-22, 10:53 AM
CartierReg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tape Recorder

Could anyone help me out on why my tape recorder won’t come out, i just bought a aux type tape recorder , where you obviously insert the tape and the aux cord comes out and well you know the rest, i’ve been having a problem trying to get it to eject and play music itll scan and read it for about 2 seconds then switches to the CD or FM channel, any suggestions?

Quick Reply: 98LS400 CD changer Question