LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Strong Catalytic Converter Smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-13, 10:08 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strong Catalytic Converter Smell

95 ls400

I could always smell the cats but only if I had the windows down and accelerated hard.

Now I can smell them with the windows up with mild acceleration or when climbing a hill.
Gas mileage has also decreased slightly.

Is this just because its cold out and the engine is getting more gas or is there another issue?
I havent noticed them glow either.
Old 01-03-13, 10:35 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean like sulfer?
Old 01-03-13, 11:25 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Check for any codes. SImple starting possibilities in my mind: O2 sensors, bad plug/s and ignition wires. When was the last tune-up? Plugs, wires, caps and rotors? When was the last time the air filter was checked/replaced?
Old 01-03-13, 01:30 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cobalt91
Do you mean like sulfer?
Yes like sulfer.
That lovely fart smell our cats make.
Old 01-03-13, 01:33 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
Check for any codes. SImple starting possibilities in my mind: O2 sensors, bad plug/s and ignition wires. When was the last tune-up? Plugs, wires, caps and rotors? When was the last time the air filter was checked/replaced?

Havent checked codes yet. I always have a cel due to an exhuast leak at the cat flange, but ill check them.

I did plugs and wires 7500 miles ago.
caps and rotors are probably due.
air filter I checked about 1000 miles ago and it was perfect.
Old 01-03-13, 03:23 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SpencerT
Havent checked codes yet. I always have a cel due to an exhuast leak at the cat flange, but ill check them.
We have a winner!

That code is putting your ECU in a preset or "limp" mode that does affect performance and mileage. Need to get that fixed.
Old 01-03-13, 03:58 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
We have a winner!

That code is putting your ECU in a preset or "limp" mode that does affect performance and mileage. Need to get that fixed.
Ive had that code for over 2 years. It was like that when I bought the car.
I really doubt that it is my problem.
Old 01-03-13, 04:09 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I agree with the "limp" mode diagnosis, especially if you are seeing performance degradation

and many things can cause it, all of the things RA40 mentioned, as well as many others such as the ECTS and the MAF

or even

wait....

wait for it.....

the ECU caps!
Old 01-03-13, 04:14 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

I dont think its in limp mode. She still has plent of power, I can just smell the cats when I accelerate.
ects reads within normal range.
havent checked maf but I assume its good too.

Ill read the codes tomorrow and go from there
Old 01-03-13, 05:22 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The EFI system is compensating for the erroneous exhaust reading. You are lucky to have not burned up the cats during this time. If this were a CA car, high odds that your EGR would be plugged and would it have failed emissions testing.
Old 01-03-13, 06:55 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Ive had that code for over 2 years. It was like that when I bought the car.
I really doubt that it is my problem.
For over 2 years!

I'm sure your code is 420 or 430. You have been blowing inaccurate fuel to air ratio through your exhaust for 2 years now... All 4 02 sensors need to be working good for the ECU to do its job. I bet your cats have really taken a beating. When the ecu detects this problem in runs in a closed loop instead of real time monitoring. Probably running really rich.
Old 01-03-13, 07:40 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could ya post the codes? With out them we're guessing. Usually the smell means that the mixure is rich. It could be anything from a vacume leak to bad caps in the ecu. More info please.
Old 01-03-13, 07:57 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RA40
The EFI system is compensating for the erroneous exhaust reading. You are lucky to have not burned up the cats during this time. If this were a CA car, high odds that your EGR would be plugged and would it have failed emissions testing.
it is a ca car
Ill check for new codes tomorrow but as far as I know it only sends a 420 or 430. whichever is the passenger side cat below efficiency code.

Dont hate on me because I have tried to fix the leak. I replaced the gasket but the flanges were so rusted that it still leaked afterward.

Last edited by SpencerT; 01-03-13 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 08:03 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I'm sure your code is 420 or 430. You have been blowing inaccurate fuel to air ratio through your exhaust for 2 years now... All 4 02 sensors need to be working good for the ECU to do its job. I bet your cats have really taken a beating. When the ecu detects this problem in runs in a closed loop instead of real time monitoring. Probably running really rich.
actually, this is only half-true

a quick O2 sensor primer:

we need to differentiate between the two pre-cat O2 sensors and the two post-cat O2 sensors - the ones that the ECU looks to in order to make on-the-fly calculations and adjustments, which affect how the car runs are the pre-cat O2 sensors, on the other hand, the post-cat O2 sensors are strictly there to be the emissions "tattletales", so to speak - it is the post-cat O2 sensor that is the reason you no longer have to sit in that long line in some cities like Phoenix, where during the early to mid 90's, we had to wait for them to physically hook up a big tube to the exhaust pipe and measure the exhaust vapors for particular contaminants - with the advent of the post-cat O2 sensor, the ECU just stores a "you have been naughty" code! - lol

If you don't care about the environment (like you should), and your area doesn't have mandatory emission testing, you don't need the post-cat O2 sensors at all - you could hook up a set that were dead years ago and your car would run as good as new, but you would generate an ECU code, and on some cars an annoying CE light! (but even that is easily jimmied to show the ECU what it wants to see to not throw a tattletale code)

I kept my post-cat O2 sensors, because not only am I an environmental type, but I also like an early warning that something is amiss! (but I certainly didn't have to keep them in good shape, I live in Alabama, they never heard of an emissions test here.........ugh!)

PS - your 430 code - (bank 2 sensor 2) is the post-cat code for that side, which would jive with the sulfur smell and may be a bad cat or another issue causing bad emissions products that are below thresholds.

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-03-13 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-03-13, 08:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

it is a ca car
Ill check for new codes tomorrow but as far as I know it only sends a 420 or 430. whichever is the passenger side cat below efficiency code.

Dont hate on me because I have tried to fix the leak. I replaced the gasket but the flanges were so rusted that it still leaked afterward.
It is fixable. Just don't want you to have to spend excessive money and cats are $. The EGR is a PITA because age makes the connecting pipes brittle. As LScowboyLS mentioned the pre-cat sensors are important for the EFI in determining the fuel ratios. Once you get this fixed, your car will drive so much better.

Quick Reply: Strong Catalytic Converter Smell