LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

accelerator seems to not work?

Old 01-15-13, 09:29 AM
68norris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going to wait untill i get the service manuel and check the O2 sensor and the MAFS and see what comes up. As for the ECM I know was bad due to no spark to any of the cylinders. I Pulled it and replaced the CAPS and it now will atlesast start but the accelerator problem is the last issue after the no start. We will see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions I will keep them all in mind due to the fact that I know I am not the perfect mechanic, and there is always something to learn from experianced mechanics that know more than I do. I am just a self taught guy that learned by doing and listening to smarter people. Thanks once again for all help.
Old 01-15-13, 10:13 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

we are all "self-taught guys who learned by doing and listening to smarter people", the ones who are any good at least - any mechanic that I ever worked with who "went to school" for it, didn't know squat!

can you rescan for trouble codes on the car and report what codes the ECU has at this point, then clear the codes and drive the car and see which codes recur

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 01-19-13 at 06:50 AM.
Old 01-18-13, 06:47 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad O2 sensors cause it to dump a lot of fuel .
Old 01-19-13, 12:28 AM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

How old is the timing belt? Mine had a similar issue when I bought it. Changed the ect, timing belt and checked the spark plug wires for correct firing order. These steps fixed my issue. Hope this helps.
Old 01-19-13, 12:53 AM
miles56
Driver School Candidate

Default Help how to post my thread

Been awhile how do I post my own thred ?
Old 01-19-13, 06:27 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Been awhile how do I post my own thred ?
just find it and post!
Old 01-19-13, 06:32 AM
sam12345
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My bet it's the ecu. You damaged it
Old 01-19-13, 06:41 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

My bet it's the ecu. You damaged it
doubtful - the car is running better since he worked on the ECU, at least it starts now
Old 01-21-13, 05:17 PM
68norris
Driver School Candidate

I have yet to get to the Toyota Information site to find a clue to the issue due to the Lack of funds, Retirement pay sucks! I served in the Army for 27 years and had money and no time and now have time and very little money. I will get to the bottom of this problem, I will just have to keep my nose to the grind stone! I have yet to be beat by a car problem despite my lack of formal auto education. The school of hard knoks has been my education. Thank You to all who have been so helpfull working towards a cure for my favorite car I have ever had the priveledge to own.
Old 01-23-13, 11:29 PM
dmcisme
Driver School Candidate

any luck so far? i have a 1990 LS400 and i just sprayed out MAF and TB, removed my TPS in the process and now mine is doing the same thing.

steps I took
disconnected negative battery cable
Removed MAF, cleaned with MAF cleaner
removed rest of intake and sprayed TB cleaner in TB and wipped as best i could, didn't remove TB
removed tps out of curousity (wrong answer) reinstalled according to lexls.com
put everyhitng back the way i found it, EVERYTHING, not a vacum hose is off, BATT included

started her up, idle was around 650, exhaust smells like fuel (partly why i did this to begin with) and when i hit the gas.. vrooDEAD. if i go slow it just slowly chokes it to death.
Old 01-24-13, 12:42 AM
dmcisme
Driver School Candidate

upon further investigation, i fried my AFM (NOT A MAF )
Old 01-25-13, 04:35 PM
dmcisme
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dmcisme
upon further investigation, i fried my AFM (NOT A MAF )
today i took the AFM out and reinstalled it, now the thing is back to working as usual as far as i can tell.... hmmm guess the afm aint fried, thinking i got a bad O2 sensor but as far as dying while pressing accelerator, nope, not any more. too bad i already ordered a replacement, 60 bucks free shipping ebay, not too bad
Old 01-27-13, 06:41 PM
68norris
Driver School Candidate

Well cowboy I appreciate the advice of the Toyota tech site but it does not want me to have an account there. I can go to the site and click on subscribe and when it takes me to the next page it will not respond! I thought it was my computers problem untill I tried other sites and its only Toyotas site that it happens on. So I guess I will just keep investigating the problem the old fashioned way. Guess and guess and guess some more ! Any more free advice since it does not like me and my $15 dollars ?
Old 01-27-13, 11:08 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

the Toyota tech site is working fine, I was on it this whole week, your computer has issues, make sure you have no pop-up blockers, javascript blockers, or viruses or other issues preventing you from getting on.

do you have a family member or friend that will let you borrow their computer for a few hours?
Old 01-28-13, 07:15 PM
68norris
Driver School Candidate

Default Toyota info site

Well Cowboy I will try my wifes computer but I am pretty sure its not a virus keeping me from entering the subscribe portion of the site so I will try hers later tonight. dmcisme I hace yet to go any further than what I have discussed with Cowboy. I hope You find out what is wrong with yours even if I dont figure out mine anytime soon. but perhaps I can take some of your information associated with your problem and while I am on the Toyota site look for some answers for you. I dont mind helping out others. We all need help evry now and than due to just being human and haveing our own faults and I have lots of them myself. So Thanks and I will try to gleen some more information. Good night all!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: accelerator seems to not work?