LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Hello from Florida!

Old 12-20-12, 07:13 PM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Florida!

Hey guys I guess this is my intro thread since I didn't see a mass thread.

While I don't have an LS as of right now, my car is almost completely back to stock so I'm getting way more serious into getting myself into one.

There is a 98 nearby that has really been catching my interest, and I wanted to check if it is as good as a deal as it seems for one, and two what I should look out for when I go out to look at it seriously!

The first is an Alpine Silver Metallic 98 with only 60,xxx on the clock! They're asking $8,899 and it has a clean Carfax but a pretty blank service history.

Looking to get into the VIP scene by the way, right now I'm driving a 2007 Mazda3, hopefully not for much longer, but this is how it looked in it's prime:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/austinyero/6833626354/
Old 12-20-12, 09:02 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

welcome.

Maintenance is key to having a long living LS. Expect to be doing engine maintenance, fluids, bushings. Just because its low mileage doesn't mean it isn't time to change some things.
Old 12-21-12, 10:57 AM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your input! What kind of engine maintenance? And bushings, are there some nice polyurethane options for replacement? Definitely not expecting it to be as carefree as my Mazda3, as its about 9 years older but some specifics always help, hence why I joined now
Old 12-21-12, 11:54 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus.

If the car has a blank service history, that is one to check into. If you are considering that car, it will need a timing belt and all fluids changed. Pull the dipstick on the tranny and check the power steering. At 60K it probably has the original fluids. At least the interior should be clean.

Maintenance costs if you DIY won't be bad but if you take it to an independent Lexus service guy, you'll be in the $1-1.2K range right off. Timing belt, idlers, water pump, seals, coolant, thermostat, etc.
Old 12-21-12, 04:12 PM
bobafreak
Rookie

Hi welcome to CL
Dont buy a lexus.
lol.
<3
Old 12-21-12, 07:22 PM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Appreciate the insight RA40, I always try to DIY so I'll be sure to check all that out, )

And why not bobafreak?
Old 12-22-12, 05:44 AM
phlorida
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to Lexus.com and join "My Lexus" under owners resources. You can plug in the VIN # of the car and see the history of anything that the dealer has done to it.
Old 12-22-12, 06:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome to the Club.
Old 12-22-12, 08:51 AM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Wow thank you a lot phlorida!! It's has two owners, the first one did all the maintenance at the dealer, and the second one didn't do any -__- although he had a non-oem theft deturrent system installed, cool.. lol

One thing I find strange though, the dealer reported they did the 30k maintenance, at 9k lol It was in 2002 so would they just do it anyway after a certain amount of time?
Old 12-22-12, 11:25 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends, if the car does accumulate a lot of miles over a gain span of time, a lot of parts still can be replaced is the owner wants to or gets talked into it. There is a time service interval on everything but its not often people drive less than the time intervals.

The last owner not doing any maintenance is not always a bad thing depending on how many miles he/she logged.
If you can handle basic maintenance your self and Re willing to drop a couple grand in parts alone over then next year or two, then it would be that big of a deal.

You're going to want to do the timing belt and water pump,
You're going to want to do a full tune up and major service(plugs, wires, filters, all fluids, o2 sensors, coolant temp sensor, etc)
You're going to want to do a major refresh on the suspension bushings and related parts along with your air system if you want to go VIP.
You're going to want to do the brakes simply so it looks nice and at 60k, there is a good chance you have either the OEM's still in there or some thing else that produces a lot of dust!

With All of that said, once you're done you are going to have a car that, with some good maintenance habits on your part, will last you another 200k miles!

Just be sure to get a complete Pre purchase inspection done on the car by and independent shop! If they find any issues, you can use the cost of those to haggle down the price!
Old 12-22-12, 01:40 PM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Sweet, I really appreciate the pointers guys! I didn't do any research like this with my first car and I knew it'd be a good idea for this one since I doubt I'd get lucky twice. :P

Unfortunately the second owner had the car for most of its life, since around 15k.
Old 01-01-13, 05:42 PM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys just an update on my search!

The one with 60k got sold, and I checked out one with 57k and it was in pretty bad condition. However after that I went and saw a 98 LS400, with, wait for it, 34,000 miles!!!!! I thought it was too good to be true but really only got better.. It's Diamond White Pearl and in such amazing condition, it was clearly garage kept (Door Moldings super black when even the ones on my 2007 are faded!) It's clean all around the only visible flaws are on the rear bumper, the lining is peeling off from the side (is that common?) and a scuff on the rear bumper as well. The interior is literally flawless, has OEM navi and even a ****ing car phone!

The carfax on the car shows its a one owner, accident free, and the dealer selling it was the original dealer they bought it from and maintained it at, it was maintained really well, at least once every three years, which tells me it didn't just sit for a while.

Anything else I should really check out on it? Going back again either Friday or Saturday so more pointers would be nice.
Old 01-08-13, 10:45 PM
Handy98
Driver School Candidate

Car phone in the center console, looks 1998 vintage? If it's digital, that thing is the bomb, love mine. It has great reception and the hands free mic is really good, even from the back seat.

Look for fluid leaks. Notorious power steering leaker that can do some other damage too. I assume you're going to start the car even if you don't drive it. After you turn it off, sniff for the first minute or two. Do you smell something not quite electrical, not quite oil? Mine did that for year without more than a spot on the garage floor. Was leaking ps fluid and burning it off.

Repairs I've made in the 15 years, all very common. Made the dealer replace the struts. I changed the TPS, the starter. Replaced the ps hose. Just recently I realized it was leaking oil and not just ps fluid, front seal blown. So belt, water pump, alternator that had been reading bad for a while were replaced when the seal was done. Car needs serious power to start so weak batteries won't cut it. Car also has big brakes. Go OEM for those always. Used aftermarket rotors once. Shook like a . . . after the first hard stop. If you change the wheels and they are wondering if the wheels will clear the calipers, did the 98 have the big brakes in the rear already, the answer is yes, it does, 98 was the first year. Has huge rear brakes like a MBZ.

ECU has an issue, there is a thread on here for a repair everyone needs to make in 90's Toyotas. (first page usually, all problems solved in the title)

Check that the gauges function properly. My needles drop to zero randomly. Luckily, they still spring back if I tap (like a mac truck) the dash in the right place. Threads on here for the common gauge problem and the fix isn't fun.

My car is probably just turning 100k right now, my uncle has it for a few months. Love that car but I'm replacing her tomorrow. Going to be good and bad.
Old 01-09-13, 09:22 AM
bobafreak
Rookie

Austin yeah double check everything. But it sounds golden. Im gonna say pull the trigger on this. Usually cars babied and garaged parked, low mileage etc means they drove it out once in a blue moon and really took care of it. Whats the age of the owner? If they dont look like hipsters and carry themselves well im going to say they probably maintained this car like a trophy wife. Best of luck.
Old 01-16-13, 05:09 AM
Austinn
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys, the car was at a dealership, and due to my car being worth less then the fair kbb, I couldn't pull the trigger right away..

Now the car is no longer listed and I'm hoping they haven't actually auctioned or sold it, as I'm trying to sell my car privately to get the most money out of it. Well see, might just give them a call and if its there might buy it outright and just not drive it until my car is sold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello from Florida!