LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

My 'new' 1998 LS400

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-12, 01:31 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 'new' 1998 LS400

Hello,

Earlier this week I purchased this metallic silver (not sure of exact color name) 1998 LS400 with 184k cared for miles. I never thought I'd purchase an LS400. I was always the one bashing these cars. Well this Particular LS400 has changed my mind.

This LS was owned by an older Japanese gentleman in a very upscale neighborhood in Cary, NC. It's a two owner car. Clean and clear title. Always garage kept. The previous owner before him was his sister, she gave the car to him as a gift in 2005. I received the Lexus Key code flat key (the credit card looking thing), the lojack registration card, and all service history from the car since 2005. On the test drive I pushed the gas a little bit and he screamed "whoa that's fast"! I take it he never abused the car or raced it.

I can tell the car has never been waxed though.. He never really cleaned the interior or put leather conditioner on either (but it still looks great) The saving grace is that it has always been garage kept and pretty much never subjected to the elements. No dings or scratches anywhere, but it does have a bit of a blemish on the driver's side bumper. He told me someone scraped against the car when he was on a business trip to Boston, but it's barely noticeable so it's fine. The paint on this car is still amazing without wax! First thing I will do is polish her up and put a coat of aircraft wax. This did wonders on my W140. Some tire dressing will also do the trick. I did clean the engine compartment yesterday. It had what seemed like years of dust and dirt built up. I removed the engine covers and with a few cans of degreaser got it looking like new again. I also cleaned up the engine covers and put in a new air filter. The old air filter looked like it had been there for years though.. So I went to clean the throttle body (major PITA to remove that hose and put it back on btw) To my surprise it was as clean as can be. The old air filter was super dirty but it did such a good job filtering all the dirt out.

We used to have a 92' and a 95' LS400 in the family. Both were black, the 92' had 99' style GS300 5 spoke sport rims and looked very nice. Both car were very reliable. At the time I despised them both because they were so boring to drive. I've looked back over the years and missed them for their perfect blend of luxury and reliability.

I'm new to the Lexus forums but have been a Benzworld member since 2005. I've owned a couple W126 and W140 Mercedes and once a W203 c class coupe. I've also owned a C6 Corvette, Porsche boxster, and many other cars inbetween from econo cars to police interceptors. About S class: My first W140 silver S420 was a money pit and an absolute nightmare.. My previous black S420 was a gorgeous car, Everything worked. It was a fine example of a W140. I sold it for various reasons, but mainly because I was getting bored of it and wanted to drive something else.

Comparing an LS400 to a W140 is not a fair comparison since they are wildly different.

However, I will do it to give my opinion on my experience so far. I will try to keep it brief. I will update this when I have driven the car more.

Driving experience: The LS400 feels more like an ultra refined Mercedes, almost too refined. Not wallowing or floating but more easily unsettled by undulating pavement. Steering feedback is much nicer than the 97' and earlier LS400s. It's also a VERY nimble car at 3800lbs. This car will likely beat the W140 S600 in the performance category however this car does too good of a job isolating the driver from the road! This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it. While the LS is a very safe automobile, it doesn't feel invincible from the driver's seat against the outside world like the W140. The engine and transmission are silky smooth and quiet in the LS. Cabin noise is also lower.

Interior experience: I love the information display screen and the instrument cluster. It makes the W140s instrument cluster look like it came out of the stone age. lol. Just yesterday this display was letting me know that one of my brake light bulbs was blown out and today it reminded me that my door was cracked open as I was leaving the driveway. It also has the typical fuel range, average mpg, instant mpg and you can cycle it with the steering wheel buttons... The LS interior certainly does look more modern. With the black interior it actually looks pretty darn luxurious. All the controls are easy to reach, and the six disc CD changer is easily accessible in the first glove compartment. The second glove compartment is enormous by the way. I don't like that the heated seats only have one setting... I also don't like that there is no thigh support on the LS for this year. Very disappointing.

Exterior appearance. I like the LS400 for it's very modern yet subtle exterior appearance. They did a great job with the front fascia for the facelift. The old LS400 headlights were not my cup of tea! I really wish the LS had the charcoal filtration vents on the hood like the S class though! I personally prefer the LS400 design better because it looks more modern. Otherwise both cars look fantastic.

Everything on this car works except for the key fob. Previous owner somehow screwed up both key fobs... The hood shocks are also getting a little weak. I did a quick search here and it seems to be a cheap fix though. The key fob is a different story though.

I've also noticed somewhat of a roaring sound as the car goes faster. Almost like a truck with mud tires but much less pronounced because of the quiet cabin. I thought it was wheel bearings but the goodyear store here told me that the tires were not rotated in awhile and so the tread isn't smooth like it used to be.. That is the reason for the roar. The tread feels rough when you run your hand across it. The tires probably have another 20k miles left so I may drive them a little bit more before buying new ones. May have to treat this LS to some Michelin mxv4s.

I took a pic of the car. I detailed the engine but i still haven't cleaned the exterior of the car or the interior. I also need to clean the rims and tires...
Attached Thumbnails My 'new' 1998 LS400-img01172-20121207-1207.jpg   My 'new' 1998 LS400-img01171-20121206-1647.jpg   My 'new' 1998 LS400-img01173-20121207-1208.jpg   My 'new' 1998 LS400-img01175-20121207-1209.jpg   My 'new' 1998 LS400-img01178-20121207-1212.jpg  

Last edited by SaleenS7; 12-07-12 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 02:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

congrats on the purchase and Welcome to ClubLexus. The stickies at the top of the forum will be of great use to you.

A couple points:
-get the coolant changed asap, Toyota Long Life or Extra Long Life coolant is what's needed and as formulated differently from generic green coolant/dexcool.
-at 184k miles, the car should have had a timing belt/water pump job done every 90k miles. If it wasn't done you'll want to do that NOW as if the belt snaps or the idlers seize, you're in the hole for a new motor. (use this time to change to the proper coolant too).
-if you have at least one working master key you can buy extras and get the programmed relatively easily.
-your color code is listed as a 3digit code on the driver's door jamb tag.http://www.toyotareference.com/lexusls/1995-2000
Old 12-07-12, 04:02 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice pick up. My buddy's LS is the same colors and interior. this is such a awsome combination to get these cars in IMO
Old 12-07-12, 06:22 PM
door331
Rookie

Very nice pickup! I enjoyed reading your comparison with these Mercedes - very informative. I have never driven a Merc but have always been curious how their models compare.

Also, I totally agree with how agile this generation LS is - I don't know how many others notice this but the turning radius on this car is AMAZING - 34.8 ft according to Edmunds! I find this characteristic one of my favorites as I work in Chicago where parking/traffic are not friendly to larger vehicles.

Last edited by door331; 12-07-12 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 06:59 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Love it.

Definitely jump on your timing belt information like PD said. Especially if you want to put her through her paces.

Do those fluids. PS + rear end.

Want 350k out of that transmission? Start the drain the 2 qts in the pan every 6 months or so and refill. What great way to really help longevity and avoid the danger of flushing. Plus you are keeping the fluid at an optimal condition throughout the life of the transmission.
Old 12-07-12, 08:57 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Hey thanks for the welcome and GREAT advice everyone.

Puredrifter, The timing belt was last done at 99k miles... So it's definitely due for another service soon. The coolant was replaced last year. However to be on the safe side I'll flush it and use the toyota extra life long coolant as you recommended.

Door331, I'm also surprised at the turning radius of this boat. if you've never driven a W140 S class I urge you to at least test drive one from a small dealership. Find one that looks near pristine to get a good feel of it. If you have any questions about the W140 S class let me know.

Lavrishevo, that idea sounds very good. I'll do a search on how to do this 2 quart drain. If it's as easy as on oil change then I'll be doing it religiously.

levie, thanks. I was sold on the color combo immediately. I was a bit upset when I found out that it didn't have xenon lights, nakamichi sound system and the wooden steering wheel, but those are not deal breakers to me. I just wanted a 98+ with heated seats and a black leather interior.

I'll attach some pictures of my previous W140. It was not a V12, it was a 97' S420. I installed wheels from a newer E550 Mercedes. Installed window curtains, 35% tint, installed chrome gauge surround on the cluster (without them the cluster looked ugly...) steering wheel cover to match the rest of the wood.. etc..

I sold the car this past July. She had close to 200k miles when I sold her for $5k. Unfortunately I found the car on craigslist recently... It was involved in a minor frontal accident. Also the transmission supposedly failed as well for whatever reason... And get this, the idiot had tape around the side mirrors. I clearly showed him how to use the folding mirror option when he bought it, but he must have manually tried folding it back one day and snapped it. The side mirrors cost $500 a piece... Anyway, What a shame. It's hard finding a good W140 nowadays as most owners don't take care of them. If ya'll have any questions about the W140 let me know, I'm somewhat of an expert on them. =]
Attached Thumbnails My 'new' 1998 LS400-img00751-20120530-1946.jpg   My 'new' 1998 LS400-img00750-20120530-1533.jpg   My 'new' 1998 LS400-img00742-20120530-1510.jpg   My 'new' 1998 LS400-img00740-20120530-1506.jpg   My 'new' 1998 LS400-img00708-20120427-1717.jpg  

Last edited by SaleenS7; 12-07-12 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-07-12, 10:06 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Very nice LS, and very nice w140. I've always been a huge w140 fan, i was actually looking for one for my next car, but decided against it just do to its size. I'm constantly parallel parking and this would be a pain to have in the city. It was and still is a real solid car and theres just a present about them, more so then some enwer models.
Old 12-13-12, 11:19 AM
SSAstro
Driver School Candidate

very clean you got lucky
Old 12-14-12, 12:52 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

If it's as easy as on oil change then I'll be doing it religiously.
YES, it is as easy as changing the oil, with one exception, Toyota recommends replacing BOTH the drain bolt & metal gasket on each change, they actually consider the bolt as a sacrifice to get good sealing, so I know it sounds weird and unnecessary, but the bolt & metal gasket washer are only about $5 total at Sewell, and it is worth it to not worry about a leak - I skipped the bolt replacement and got a leak, won't do that again!

drain the 2 qts in the pan every 6 months or so and refill
every time I change it, it seems to drain 3 qts. rather than 2!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-14-12 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-14-12, 05:07 AM
SaleenS7
Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
YES, it is as easy as changing the oil, with one exception, Toyota recommends replacing BOTH the drain bolt & metal gasket on each change, they actually consider the bolt as a sacrifice to get good sealing, so I know it sounds weird and unnecessary, but the bolt & metal gasket washer are only about $5 total at Sewell, and it is worth it to not worry about a leak - I skipped the bolt replacement and got a leak, won't do that again!

every time I change it, it seems to drain 3 qts. rather than 2!
Very invaluable info, thank you LScowboy.

Just to make sure I purchase the right bolt and gasket are they PNC: 35111K and 35111Y?

It looks like PNC 35111B can also be used as the bolt but I'm not sure.
Old 12-14-12, 05:15 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Looks like you got a good deal. I'm strongly considering the 98-00 LS, always liked the body. I'm bored with my 04 TL ha ha plus I'm getting a car from my job to drive to work so I can get a V8 and not worry about mpg.
Old 12-14-12, 06:29 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by plex
Looks like you got a good deal. I'm strongly considering the 98-00 LS, always liked the body. I'm bored with my 04 TL ha ha plus I'm getting a car from my job to drive to work so I can get a V8 and not worry about mpg.
I get 18-20mpg if avoid all the stop and go streets in town. 16mpg if theres alot of stop and go. 28-30mpg highway if I accelerate slow and hold a consistent speed.

is the W140 bigger than the LS?
Old 12-14-12, 10:45 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

when he went from Mercedes to Lexus, he also went from one of the world's least reliable cars, to the world's most reliable!

we have data from Consumer Reports (non-profit agency around since the 1930's) on the reliability of over 2 million actual cars each year!

you have no idea what a trade-up you just made!

the only thing about that Mercedes that has any appeal to me is the bad-*** wheels, and I am German!! (and I have always felt that the 98-00 Lexus is one of the best looking cars on the road, with the butt-ugliest factory wheels on the road - lol)

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-14-12 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-14-12, 10:56 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Just to make sure I purchase the right bolt and gasket are they PNC: 35111K and 35111Y?

It looks like PNC 35111B can also be used as the bolt but I'm not sure.
those are diagram numbers, not Toyota part numbers, and no, you are looking at the wrong bolt!

the correct diagram numbers are 35106A and 35106B - the Toyota part numbers are 90341-10011 (bolt) and 35178-30010 (metal gasket washer)

PS - enter your Club Lexus username and register at Sewell for a 25% discount on parts!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 12-14-12 at 11:00 AM.
Old 12-14-12, 07:54 PM
SaleenS7
Driver

Originally Posted by dengman
I get 18-20mpg if avoid all the stop and go streets in town. 16mpg if theres alot of stop and go. 28-30mpg highway if I accelerate slow and hold a consistent speed.

is the W140 bigger than the LS?
With the W140 I was able to get 18mpg average and around 24-26mpg with cruise control on the highway at 70mph. The W140 does weigh in at approximiately about 1000 lbs more though. Amazingly it carried the weight very well, it felt like a sports car stuck in a large sedan's body. Hard to describe... The LS feels heavy like a old man mobile until you mash the gas pedal. Passing power still amazes me on this beast.

The W140 was definitely taller and wider both inside and outside. The rear passengers had a ridiculous amount of legroom. The moonroof was also considerably larger.

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
when he went from Mercedes to Lexus, he also went from one of the world's least reliable cars, to the world's most reliable!

we have data from Consumer Reports (non-profit agency around since the 1930's) on the reliability of over 2 million actual cars each year!

you have no idea what a trade-up you just made!

the only thing about that Mercedes that has any appeal to me is the bad-*** wheels, and I am German!! (and I have always felt that the 98-00 Lexus is one of the best looking cars on the road, with the butt-ugliest factory wheels on the road - lol)
LScowboy thanks again for all that great information you've given me.

The wheels you see on the W140 are staggered 18 inch rims from a 2008 E550 sport. The car was already fun to drive (despite weighing so much) but it instantly made the it that much more fun to drive. Plus it made it look a lot more updated.

I need to write an updated review now that I've experienced this car in all sorts of conditions and have a better feel for it inside and out.

For now I'll say this: the LS400 feels like you're having sex... but it's like having sex while wearing a few condoms. It's a very muted experience... Perhaps a different suspension set up may be needed, but that may compromise the amazing ride quality You can't go wrong with the Lexus reliability though. Owning a W140 was scary knowing that any little problem could set you back hundreds for even the smallest of problems.. I've owned two W140s. My first one was a silver money pit but the black one was super reliable in the 8 months I owned it. Every month I was wondering if the car would give me hell or not... Not a very fun experience especially since one modest repair would probably cost a quarter of the value of the vehicle... If money was no issue I likely would have stayed with the Mercedes brand (for luxury). Forgive me Lexus gods, lol.

Last edited by SaleenS7; 12-14-12 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: My 'new' 1998 LS400