LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

HOW-TO: 95-00 Coilover install

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-12, 03:55 AM
Dutchy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, yamae is an amazing guy and a big toyota/lexus expert.

I took the fuse out, and ofcourse the light is off. Clearly i had the wrong fuse under the hood.

Yamae, thanks again!!
Old 11-15-12, 06:56 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
is removing the FRONT upper ball joints really necessary to remove the struts? good write up regardless!
Originally Posted by Shmee
Timmy,
If you had a big pry-bar and the car fairly high in the air, you could probably pull the control arms down and shift the strut to one side and then pull it out... it would be a pretty tight squeeze though

i didn't try, it is not difficult to pop the UBJ out and it makes the job no more difficult..

It is possible to do the front without pulling the upper ball joints. I've done it. car on the ground with jack stands.
Old 11-15-12, 09:58 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I corrected the How-To to include the rear suspension as well as the info provided by Yamae for the Air-suspension.
Old 11-15-12, 06:48 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by dengman
It is possible to do the front without pulling the upper ball joints. I've done it. car on the ground with jack stands.
thank you for the clarification. i am a suspension noob on this chassis but will be a novice soon!
Old 11-16-12, 08:45 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Awesome step-by-step, shmee, but I would still love to see one from someone going thru the same process but WITH factory air. There has got to be more differences then just removing a fuse at the end of the job. What about the airbags (deflate before disassembly?), air lines, compressor, wiring, sensors and other components?

I'm just assuming those are the main components that weigh the most. remove those and pull the fuse you should be fine. What ever air lines left on the car you can pull or just leave
Old 11-16-12, 11:05 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

As far as the air goes, you likely just need to bleed the system down, disconnect the lines to the bags, and remove the same way as the standard struts. Removing the additional components should not prove to be very difficult.

If someone can add in any detailed info and directions on how to do it, I will gladly add it to the how to.
Old 11-18-12, 03:46 PM
Dutchy
Driver

I did the exact same things as shmee. Only need to disconnect 4 connectors and 4 airlines. I removed the upperball joints makes it a lot easier.

Just be sure that all the wheels are in the air. When you disconnect one airline the whole car comes down.

All the compressor parts are still in the car and i will leave it there.
Old 11-19-12, 08:59 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dutchy
I did the exact same things as shmee. Only need to disconnect 4 connectors and 4 airlines. I removed the upperball joints makes it a lot easier.

Just be sure that all the wheels are in the air. When you disconnect one airline the whole car comes down.

All the compressor parts are still in the car and i will leave it there.
Originally Posted by Shmee
As far as the air goes, you likely just need to bleed the system down, disconnect the lines to the bags, and remove the same way as the standard struts. Removing the additional components should not prove to be very difficult.

If someone can add in any detailed info and directions on how to do it, I will gladly add it to the how to.
Originally Posted by dengman

I'm just assuming those are the main components that weigh the most. remove those and pull the fuse you should be fine. What ever air lines left on the car you can pull or just leave

Cool, thanks guys. Question for Dengman: how much different are coilovers from the air sus shocks? Is there some type of adaptor required for the top? Thanks.
Old 11-19-12, 09:03 AM
Dutchy
Driver

Dont need adapters. I dont know how old you are, but i bought my coiloverset from a 40+ guy. And he hated the set! Its not a comfortable set, but really sporty.
Old 11-19-12, 09:09 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Dont need adapters. I dont know how old you are, but i bought my coiloverset from a 40+ guy. And he hated the set! Its not a comfortable set, but really sporty.
LOL. Well, I am 40-something y.o. and I have driven VIP sedans since I was in my 20's and I lowered all of them except for a huge caddy I had back in the 90's. Now that you have the setup in your car...how do you feel it compares to the air ride? Maybe it's worth me going with a brand which allows more dampening levels so that you get the lowered stance w/o sacrificing ALL the comfort?

I will be leaving all the "guts" of the air sus in place...just in case.
Old 11-19-12, 09:16 AM
Dutchy
Driver

From a comfy boat it changed into a HUGE go-kart. They are really hard, and i have the demping on medium. The springs are on the weakest set-up, and still very hard. The wheels also play a roll in this. I have 235/40 18 in front, 265/35 18 on the back. Not a lot of air left in the tires..

I Love it, before i could not take a corner without using the brakes. Now i can go as fast as the tires let me go, without the brakes gehehe.
Old 11-19-12, 09:46 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

From a comfy boat it changed into a HUGE go-kart. They are really hard, and i have the demping on medium. The springs are on the weakest set-up, and still very hard. The wheels also play a roll in this. I have 235/40 18 in front, 265/35 18 on the back. Not a lot of air left in the tires..

I Love it, before i could not take a corner without using the brakes. Now i can go as fast as the tires let me go, without the brakes gehehe.
Cool. Now don't laugh but I plan on keeping my 16" wheel setup! Why? Well, because no one does this and I am assuming (hate that word) that my ride won't be as stiff with a heavy car on coilovers AND skinny little tires. But, I could be wrong since this will be my first use of coilovers in any car...(used sport springs on everything else) 'cept for my '86 Soarer. I bought an air sus controller box for that - which worked great until the bag popped
Old 11-19-12, 10:10 AM
Dutchy
Driver

I also have that air-sus controller thing (aftermarket) in my car, i still have to take it out haha. Its connected to the air-sus ECU with a lot of small wires.

Only never found out how it worked, i had no manual LOL. Once i was playing with it, i got the back down, en the front up.. And the other way around. The next day i bought the coilover-set , because the air-sus will never get that 'sporty' feeling.

I also whould like to have the original 16 or 17 inch wheels, but only for in the winter, with winter-tires. I havent got money now to get an extra set unfortunately. Sometimes it gets 10 degrees below 0 or more. Not very funny with those fat tyres...
Old 11-20-12, 09:19 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

I also have that air-sus controller thing (aftermarket) in my car, i still have to take it out haha. Its connected to the air-sus ECU with a lot of small wires.

Only never found out how it worked, i had no manual LOL. Once i was playing with it, i got the back down, en the front up.. And the other way around. The next day i bought the coilover-set , because the air-sus will never get that 'sporty' feeling.

I also whould like to have the original 16 or 17 inch wheels, but only for in the winter, with winter-tires. I havent got money now to get an extra set unfortunately. Sometimes it gets 10 degrees below 0 or more. Not very funny with those fat tyres...
Yeah, the controller I had was more user-friendly I guess. It had little pictures showing the wheels (front to back and side to side). Just push the buttons and it did its thing. Was totally cool, but at that point this car was already 12 years old (this was in 1998) and the air bags did not like all that inflating/deflating and one eventually popped. I was living in Japan at the time so should be easy to get replacement, right? Wrong! Toyota dealer wanted $1,000 per bag (parts only). Keep in mind this was before ebay when you either went to a dealer or the junkyard for parts. Ended up junking the car and getting a Crown. Ha ha.
Old 12-20-12, 01:03 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Bumping this back up!

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: 95-00 Coilover install