LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Water temp gauge gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-12, 12:59 AM
xLowNSlowx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water temp gauge gone bad?

Hey guys, so i've got a 96 ls400 here and i'm wondering whether the water temp gauge on my cluster has gone bad.

When i start the car, temp needle would climb to the halfway point within 30 seconds. (highly doubt it's at operating temps)

If i have my AC on, after several miles of driving it would slowly...i mean very slowly continue climbing until it hits the 4/5 mark (white line before the red).

With AC off (only fan on), i've sat in stop and go traffic for 20 minutes and that needle did not rise.

Anyone ever have this problem before?

Background story:
temp needle always rose to tip-top when i first got the car, but my mechanic ran the car and tested water temps with the laser gun and said it was all fine, but the needle was just wack. Then one day, when i was driving with needle at the tip-top as always, smoke poured out from under hood and into cabin etc. after i towed to shop, turns out the heater valve was clogged and a water hose popped off from it spewing coolant everywhere. After repairing that valve, needle began to sit at the half-way point while running normally, unless i have my AC on...from here on refer to first half of post.

If anyone took their time to read through all that, i sincerely thank you and any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Old 11-13-12, 02:01 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What year? Mileage?
Have you replaced, or were any of the following replaced, recently:
Water pump?
Rad ?
Thermostat ?
Temp sensor for ECU ?
Temp sender for gauge ?
Old 11-13-12, 05:33 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Most likely is the gauge. Seems to be a lot of this on the forum these days.

Mine went to half way point one day and never went back unless i pounded on the dash even then it only went half way down.

I changed the the thermostat first than changed the temp sender. When none of that worked i measured the resistance of sender at different times to see if the ohms matched what the engine temp should be. All seemed well so than i had to measure the resistance at the gauge that proved to be bad. Bought new gauge and for the past couple weeks now all is good.
Old 11-13-12, 04:03 PM
xLowNSlowx
Driver School Candidate

thx for the fast responses!

I believe the thermostat has been replaced as well as the temp sensor. Not sure about the temp sending unit to gauge.

Would an easier solution be to just get an aftermarket gauge installed to monitor temps?
Old 11-13-12, 04:29 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

If by easier you mean a method which requires zero diagnostic work then, yes, probably...
Not sure where you are going to mount your temp gauge or what gauge you could buy that would look good in the interior of your LS though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the accuracy of an aftermarket gauge over the standard idiot-dial supplied in most cars that gives you the the stunningly accurate info that your temp is between "here and here." But the LS doesn't seem like a good fit for an aftermarket gauge IMHO....
Old 11-13-12, 04:38 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Common issue with the gauge cluster. We have all parts in stock to fix all LS clusters and climate units.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 11-13-12, 04:59 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

For the record, you should check the sending unit to the gauge. The temp sensor is for the ECU and does not cross over with the dash gauge at all.
Old 11-13-12, 05:03 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

The gauge cluster temp signal should be the single wire on the t-stat housing. Disconnect it and the gauge should read "C" at all times.

If it reads anything higher than C, the gauge in the cluster needs to be replaced.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 11-13-12, 05:39 PM
xLowNSlowx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shmee
If by easier you mean a method which requires zero diagnostic work then, yes, probably...
Not sure where you are going to mount your temp gauge or what gauge you could buy that would look good in the interior of your LS though.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the accuracy of an aftermarket gauge over the standard idiot-dial supplied in most cars that gives you the the stunningly accurate info that your temp is between "here and here." But the LS doesn't seem like a good fit for an aftermarket gauge IMHO....
Yeah, that's the downside, the gauge would look way out of place in an LS interior. totally agree with you.
Old 11-13-12, 05:53 PM
xLowNSlowx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
The gauge cluster temp signal should be the single wire on the t-stat housing. Disconnect it and the gauge should read "C" at all times.

If it reads anything higher than C, the gauge in the cluster needs to be replaced.
Got it, i'll give that a try to see if my cluster has gone bad.

Originally Posted by Shmee
For the record, you should check the sending unit to the gauge. The temp sensor is for the ECU and does not cross over with the dash gauge at all.
I'll change that temp sending sensor as well, its $15 at autozone, worth a shot.
Old 11-14-12, 10:08 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

I would recommend replacing the gauge sending unit with the factory Toyota sending unit, it is cheap (around $20 online) and it was the problem on my 96, the actual gauge tends to not go bad on this year model.

also the wiring & connector right there at the sending unit can go bad, my Toyota fancy connector went bad and now it is just a regular spade lug!

do not confuse the gauge sending unit (one wire) with the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (ECTS) that has two wire prongs and sits right beside the gauge sending unit (one wire prong) - the ECTS supplies the ECU with temp information, but has no relationship with the dash gauge.

you can test your cluster gauge from the sending unit, by disconnecting it and also checking it's factory resistance range by grounding it through a 3.4W test lamp as per page BE-89 in the service manual

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 11-14-12 at 10:34 AM.