LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

custom air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-12, 10:07 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default custom air intake?

So i got bored and decided to make a custom intake. Most of you guys know they don't make anything for 98-00 and if they do its a arm and leg for it . I know it look kinda ghetto / mickey mouse job but not finish yet. i still gotta make a heat shield and better looking bracket.

Old 10-27-12, 10:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

frankly the stock airbox flows VERY well, with a large opening and a cool air charge. Unless i was having a full metal replacement fabricated it seems pointless. The only increase you'll notice will be aural.
Old 10-27-12, 10:51 PM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having a custom metal pipe made very soon when my buddy come back in town hopefully next month so this will do until he come back.
Old 10-28-12, 12:27 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I was waiting for someone to mess with the air box on the 98-00. Im Interested in seeing the finished product... Even though the stock box probably does work well, I think the car could use some induction sound.

How much different does it sound ?
Old 10-28-12, 02:15 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

airbox modifications have been done before, lexkost had done a really simple one if all you want is a little extra sound that costs the princely sum of ~$1.99 (in door edge trim). JBrady also modded the stock box for $free.99 using a dremel.
Old 10-28-12, 02:22 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Ive seen those classic threads... I was looking more towards custom piping & a big *** cone filter. I already have the K&N since week one, it could better...

Last edited by VanCityLS4; 10-28-12 at 02:27 AM.
Old 10-28-12, 02:28 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

I've actually talked to JoeZ about the LS' intake, and basically there isn't much to be improved on. The tubing itself is of a large diameter, the accordion section is probably the weakest part of the intake, very bad for flow. The resonator is personal preference.
Old 10-28-12, 02:49 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Id agree the stock design is good... Looking at the intake/snorkel & noticed the small built-in resonance chamber. In some of my previous cars Ive removed/plugged these devices. Would the LS intake benefit from this ?
Old 10-28-12, 07:23 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since gains from modifying the piping are nominal, I was hoping you meant a trick ITB setup. Oh well.
Old 10-28-12, 10:30 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Has anyone ever messed with the intake manifold? Would be interesting to see what kind of gains could be made by extrude honing the intake manifold.

Process

A plastic, abrasive-laden polymer media is pushed through a part's channels, like an intake or exhaust manifold while being clamped to the processing machine. The media sands away unwanted material, stress risers, and burrs from the internal passage ways creating a smooth, polished surface. For most applications, the flow of the abrasive media is extruded in the same direction the normal flow of the engine’s fuel and exhaust gasses.

Results

The Abrasive Flow Machining process creates obstruction free passage ways that allow more air, fuel, and gasses to pass quickly through the engine components to maximize increased flow velocity. The result is an motor that produces a faster,cleaner, and more power output. The process routinely delivers increases that can exceed 30 percent on aluminum intake manifolds and 25 percent on cylinder heads and also a cleaner burning, more fuel-efficient motor.

http://www.inlinefour.com/extrudehone.html
Old 10-28-12, 10:36 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could do that at work, if the boss lets me. But I am not touching the intake manifold until either I can afford a supercharger setup, or the starter dies.
Old 10-28-12, 11:01 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Found this old thread with some information.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...fold-mods.html
Old 10-28-12, 03:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

the '98+ heads flow WAYYYY more than the earlier ones, the bottleneck for those isn't flow in, it's flow out. The exhaust manifolds (while not being as terrible as the SC/Crown) are probably your biggest $$/hp gain. After that you really would need to be looking at getting some new cams and tuning some of the fuel out of the car (as it runs pig rich, probably via a piggyback tuner).

try searching the GS400/sc400 forums, there's a general consensus for gains to be had for the '98+ cars.
Old 10-28-12, 03:35 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
the '98+ heads flow WAYYYY more than the earlier ones, the bottleneck for those isn't flow in, it's flow out. The exhaust manifolds (while not being as terrible as the SC/Crown) are probably your biggest $$/hp gain. After that you really would need to be looking at getting some new cams and tuning some of the fuel out of the car (as it runs pig rich, probably via a piggyback tuner).

try searching the GS400/sc400 forums, there's a general consensus for gains to be had for the '98+ cars.
Any particular reason why Lexus tunes them to run so rich? Does it help with longevity?
Old 10-28-12, 05:28 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Any particular reason why Lexus tunes them to run so rich? Does it help with longevity?
most manufacturers do this because running the car SLIGHTLY too rich helps deal with all fuel conditions and staves off the dread lean detonation.

the GS guys have had some success using piggybacks like A'pexi SAFC Neos to tune some of the fuel out. If you wanted much better gains (in theory) a full standalone would allow you to advance the timing to some degree, but afaik this hasn't been done on an NA vvti 1UZ.

Lextreme's forums will help you do some more research.

Quick Reply: custom air intake?