LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Doors and sidewalks.... for the lowered people

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-12, 01:56 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Doors and sidewalks.... for the lowered people

Has anyone considered getting a scissor hinge of some sort for their car doors, both my girlfriend and my mother have gotten my door stuck on a sidewalk even after i've told them to open it slowly and not swing it open. The scratch/chip isn't that noticeable since it's at the bottom of the door but it still bugs me.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that makes hinges for doors that'll slightly lift it up. I don't want lambo doors because unless you have a lambo it's a bit tacky in my opinion. Just something that allows the door to tilt up slightly to clear sidewalks
Old 10-27-12, 02:15 PM
TheBry
Pole Position

Just stop far enough from the sidewalk where there is clearance
Old 10-27-12, 02:31 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Most of the time I do, or if it's to high i'll let them out at a driveway entrance. But for sidewalks I know I can clear I just tell them to not open completely... which doesn't always happen. It would be interesting to fabricate something that tilts it slightly upwards when the door is completely open. At least I think so lol
Old 10-27-12, 02:33 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i park 2ft from the curb if its high so my passengers have plenty of space to open the door slowly
Old 10-27-12, 02:47 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A previous girlfriend did that to my previous car. Opened the door so quickly and hard that it got stuck. I was dropping her off in a no stopping zone and the door was so stuck, I had to get out lift up at the jam of the b-pillar while she tried to close the door. We still couldn't get it until another guy happened along and was able to help by lifting the a-pillar corner of the car at the same time I was lifting at the b-pillar and she manage to drag the door off the side walk. For the life of me I have no idea how she managed to get it THAT suck but it ripped off all the paint on the bottom edge of the door and bent the bottom of the door pretty badly. Oh and it was winter so by the time I had it looked at the cancer had already set in....

Oh, and the solution to this is Air!
Bag that thing and no more problems.
Scissor doors look stupid on anything but super cars. As soon as Civics and crap like Chevy Aveo's started installing scissor door kits, it became the least cool thing to do... Kinda like "altezza" taillights... Ricers ruined it!

Last edited by Shmee; 10-27-12 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-27-12, 04:52 PM
Joshcar
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shmee
A previous girlfriend did that to my previous car. Opened the door so quickly and hard that it got stuck. I was dropping her off in a no stopping zone and the door was so stuck, I had to get out lift up at the jam of the b-pillar while she tried to close the door. We still couldn't get it until another guy happened along and was able to help by lifting the a-pillar corner of the car at the same time I was lifting at the b-pillar and she manage to drag the door off the side walk. For the life of me I have no idea how she managed to get it THAT suck but it ripped off all the paint on the bottom edge of the door and bent the bottom of the door pretty badly. Oh and it was winter so by the time I had it looked at the cancer had already set in....

Oh, and the solution to this is Air!
Bag that thing and no more problems.
Scissor doors look stupid on anything but super cars. As soon as Civics and crap like Chevy Aveo's started installing scissor door kits, it became the least cool thing to do... Kinda like "altezza" taillights... Ricers ruined it!
That's what happened with my girlfriend. She got it stuck, not as bad as your case but still..

That's why I don't want a full scissor door lol, It's hard to explain but something that makes it so when you open your door it'll scissor upwards a tiny but. Almost as if the hinge of the door allows you to go a tiny bit vertical but mostly horizontal.
I do like the benefits that air has, I won't say anything in terms of ride quality since I've never rode in a bagged car but from what my friends say and from what i've researched, static has better handling. I do appreciate and recognize the benefits of air but I rather roll hard all the time, for me it represents more of a dedication to being slammed. But that's my opinion
Old 10-28-12, 11:20 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the door is literally stuck just drive forward and it'll release it self
Old 10-28-12, 11:43 AM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Yeah if it gets stuck turn left and move forward
Old 10-29-12, 12:17 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

time to get a new gf jk!

i don't think they make any kits for this,other than air ride itself. all you need to do is park farther out, let your passengers out before parking, or have them crawl through the driver's side (worst case).