LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1992 ls400 with nakamichi -Sound Issues-

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-12, 12:05 PM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1992 ls400 with nakamichi -Sound Issues-

Turned on the radio today, speaker volume output is extremely low on all speakers. I might usually turn the **** to 25% at the most, now at 100% the audio is barely audible. I have done a little research and I read that the standard pioneer system only uses an amp to power the sub and the nakamichi setup uses an amp for the speakers as well. I then heard that 90-92 nakamichi only used deck power for the speakers. All readouts/buttons/sources work on the radio with 0 issues.

-Checked the fuse under the hood and the under dash unit as well.
-Car does not have a cell phone, and never did as far as I know.
-Ecu Reset with no change to audio output
-Pulled rear seat to look for orange plug shown here and my car does not have one: http://www.carstereohelp.com/repairD...sRepairVol.htm

My questions are:

-Is the 92 Nakamichi speakers powered by the amp or head unit? (I am seeing mixed responses)
-Does the back of the radio still have the blue plug for the cell phone on cars that did not come equipped with them? (I hear of this causing sound issues and is resolved when unplugged)

Thanks in advance
Old 10-19-12, 12:24 PM
djsurfer
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuse will not be the issue, if fuse was out radio will not even turn on. Solution: buy an aftermarket radio. I think the problem is the actual radio and nothing else. If not you could always junkyard one out of a dumped one.
Old 10-19-12, 12:26 PM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

Well I know the fuse for the radio was good but with no being sure if the speakers are amp powered or deck powered I figured the second fuse could at least be worth checking. I need to figure out if the speakers are powered by an amp or deck at this point. Maybe if I get some time after work I can pull the rear panel out and see whats up. There just seems to be a lot of issues regarding the sound systems in these cars with a wide variety of solutions.
Old 10-19-12, 02:16 PM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

Just pulled up the carpet and there is definitely some water on the pass side on the ledge/in the spare tire well. Sounds like the drain tube is clogged or not where it is supposed to be. I will pull out the changer this weekend and see what I can find and update the thread.

And BTW it was raining really hard yesterday so seems like it is most likely moisture related so I hope this is the case.
Old 10-19-12, 09:24 PM
shoob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

same exact thing happened to me. i was washing the car, and the wifey was sitting inside, and all of a sudden the system started cracking, and "pulsing". i opened my amp to several rusted and corroded components.

as a matter of fact, i spent the day today, wiring my speakers strait from the aftermarket head unit, and running a sony xplode 220w amp for the oem sub woofer.
Old 10-20-12, 11:39 AM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

The water is somehow getting under neath the seal under the trunk where it meets the bumper. Then the water is seeping out of underneath the seal into the trunk along the wall (nearest the bumper). I would assume the adhesive has failed on the seal and allowing the water to get underneath? The seal itself looks great, no rips, cracking, etc.

Does anyone have any experience with reglueing the seal or what exactly the best line of action is at this point?
Old 10-20-12, 11:41 AM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by shoob
same exact thing happened to me. i was washing the car, and the wifey was sitting inside, and all of a sudden the system started cracking, and "pulsing". i opened my amp to several rusted and corroded components.

as a matter of fact, i spent the day today, wiring my speakers strait from the aftermarket head unit, and running a sony xplode 220w amp for the oem sub woofer.
Where was your amp located? I have no amp under the cd changer, I have a box above the cd changer (not suer what it is yet) and I have an amp located on the drivers side behind the side panel.
Old 10-21-12, 02:08 PM
shoob
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my amp was on top of the cd changer. nakamichi system as well. 93 model. i also have water sitting in the passenger spare well behind the passenger rear tire.
Old 10-25-12, 04:52 PM
YagerD
Driver School Candidate

Problem solved, solution? Not sure... ha. I pulled the head unit out of the car, blew it out with compressed air and put dialectic grease on each pin and hooked everything back up. Still didn't work, called it quits. Next day hopped in the car, turned on the radio and it works. It now has been 5 days and everything is working fine.

The leak in the trunk has to do with the adhesive under the trunk seal failing and water getting underneath the seal and allowing it to run into the trunk above the rear bumper. I will be trying to reseal the old gasket (not torn or smashed) and seeing if it helps. If not, I will go with a new seal.