LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1994 Celsior Radio Wiring....help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 05:58 PM
CAEDES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Celsior Radio Wiring....help please!

Hi all

First post here, although I've been loitering in the background for a while.

I've done a lot of searching, but just can't find any answers to this.

I have a 1994 Celsior and I believe it has premium sound, from what I've managed to research. There is a Pioneer amp in the boot/trunk and it appears to control all speakers.

I believe my amp is dying and I know the CD changer is dead. I've decided to swap to an aftermarket headunit, but I just can't find any wiring diagrams for this setup anywhere.

Can anyone help with the wiring schematics?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-17-12, 06:24 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

check the FAQ
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...questions.html

and the audio thread sticky
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...up-thread.html
Old 10-17-12, 06:56 PM
CAEDES
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tips with those threads. I'd already had a look through them. They just don't seem to cover the system I have....although they do make the odd mention of it.
Old 10-17-12, 10:29 PM
Yamae

Received 850 Likes on 643 Posts

Is your Celsior a 94 JDM UCF20/21?
If so, the audio system is different with a USM. I have some information but it is for a 90-00 UCF20/21.
Old 10-18-12, 05:36 AM
CAEDES
Driver School Candidate

Hi Yamae

As far as i know, it's a UCF11. It's definitely a JDM Celsior and definitely not a UCF20.
Old 10-18-12, 09:35 AM
Joshcar
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's just a regular Pioneer system and not the Nak, i'm pretty sure the " SCOSCHE TA02B Wiring Harness for 1987 and up Toyota" should work, if you're planning to hard wire it I bid you good luck.

I recall seeing a diagram a while back when I installed my aftermarket head unit, if I come across it I'll be sure to let you know !
Old 10-18-12, 09:52 AM
CAEDES
Driver School Candidate

I'm hoping to hard wire it. The harness adaptors seem to be quite difficult to get in the UK. Also, it is a Pioneer system, but I think it's the premium sound version. It's certainly not the normal Pioneer system with an amp for just the sub. This one has an amp that powers all the speakers.

So far, I've managed to trace all the speaker wires from the amp to the speakers. I'm now stuck on trying to figure out how the sub woofer is wired in. I've been going around it with a multimeter and the numbers just don't seem to be adding up at the moment. The sub speaker doesn't appear to be isolated from the chassis (I'm reading a continuity to Earth, which is throwing me).

After that, I'm going to start trying to work at the head unit end and figure that out.

If I succeed, I'll try to post up some pics and wiring colour codes.

If anyone has any info or wiring diagrams that might suit my model, please let me know!

Thanks for the help so far!
Old 10-18-12, 03:05 PM
YAK00Z
Driver School Candidate

if your planning on hard wiring, simplest way is to run a constant power wire from your battery to the red lead on your new unit, wire the yellow accessory wire to any accessory activated piece on your car like your cigarette lighter, and wire the black ground cable anywhere on the bare metal chassis, then look at the back of each speaker and find the colours and wire them into the correct speaker wires on your new loom, and your blue/white lead on the back of your loom is your control for your amplifier. If not go buy yourself a cheap multimeter, ground out the black to the chassis, connect positive on multi to your wires to find which has current on car off, and which opens up current when you turn the key to accessories, then the rest is simple.

Hope this helps. lol
Old 10-18-12, 04:21 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by CAEDES
Hi Yamae
As far as i know, it's a UCF11. It's definitely a JDM Celsior and definitely not a UCF20.
Hi, CAEDES.
I found some below. This is about UCF10/11. Things are all written in Japanese though. Connectors pin assignments can not be recognized but some of them might be the same or similar to UCF21 which I have. I will by trying to find some more for you soon.
http://celsiorup.com/data/303speaker.htm

The location of the woofer amplifier in the trunk.
http://ls400.web.fc2.com/nakamichi_wf.html

Last edited by Yamae; 10-18-12 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-18-12, 04:58 PM
Yamae

This is for a UCF20/21. I'm sorry I don't know how much this is effective for you.
http://www.soundscience.co.jp/sounds...ing/ucf20a.pdf
Old 10-20-12, 02:46 AM
CAEDES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yamae
The location of the woofer amplifier in the trunk.
http://ls400.web.fc2.com/nakamichi_wf.html
Yamae, that was a great link. I think that's the system I have, but mine appears to be all Pioneer. I didn't even realise I had a separate sub amp. I thought I just had the one big one above the CD changer in the boot.

I've managed to trace all the wires from the amps to the speakers and they appear to match the other various wiring diagrams I've found. However, the rest of the system looks nothing like the other diagrams.

Do you have a schematic for the system in the link?

Thanks to everyone for all the help!
Old 10-20-12, 06:46 AM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same job in my 1994 Celsior.
The original head unit has only pre amp outputs which are fed to the amplifier mounted on top of the CD changer, the surround system and sub amplifier are also located in the same unit.
I had to hard wire a new head unit (JVC) and because it had an inbuilt amplifier it meant having to run the four speaker lines from this to the trunk where they were connected to the existing speaker wiring.
I also ran a screened lead from one of the head unit's phono pre amp feeds to a replacement sub amp but make sure the amplifier can handle a 2 ohm impedance for the stock sub woofer.
I fitted the sub amplifier in the space where the original CD changerAmplifier was located and took the power from the old loom feed.
I also removed the original sub speaker wiring and wired from the 2 soldered speaker connections to the sub amplifier output terminals.
It's a lot of work but if you have already identified the speaker wiring you are well on the way.
If you need the wiring colors let me know and I'll get some pictures to you.
Where are you located in the UK?

This should be the present setup in the trunk.

After fitting a replacement sub amplifier

The stock Celsior Premium sound system head unit.

Not as nice as the OEM unit but it does the job for me.

Last edited by steve2006; 10-20-12 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-20-12, 04:40 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by CAEDES
Do you have a schematic for the system in the link?
I am sorry I don't have any regarding UCF11/11. I have tried to find some for you on the Net but nothing more was found. In Japan, I don't see UCF10/11 anymore and I don't see sites that describe them neither. The government policy killed many good old cars elder than 13 years.
Old 10-21-12, 02:06 PM
CAEDES
Driver School Candidate

Yamae, thanks for trying. You found a lot more than I did!

Steve, I'm over in Hull. I also have a feeling I badgered you on another forum, asking about your LCD screen. I still haven't managed to find a suitable replacement for mine yet.

Did you only have one amp (on top of the cd changer)? I thought I only had one, but then (thanks to Yamae) I found another on the left hand side of the boot, hiding behind all the trim, which powered the sub.

I'd figured out that the head unit only had pre amp signals going to the amp(s), but I can't match up pre amp wires to amplified speaker wires.

I've traced all the wires from the amps to the speakers and have that bit sorted. I was hoping to bypass the amps and join the pre amp wires to the speaker wires. The thing is, I don't appear to have a full set of pre amp wires. Including the sub, there are 5 pairs of speaker wires. Behind the head unit, I have lots of wires, but there don't appear to be 5 pairs of pre amp wires.

Basically, I think I'm trying to do something very similar to you, but I'm really trying to avoid having to pull a full set of speaker cables from the head unit to the boot. I'm hoping to tap into the existing loom for that bit.

If you can give me any extra info of the wiring colours, that would be excellent!