LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Timing belt + additional services Estimate

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-12, 09:22 PM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Timing belt + additional services Estimate

What's up everyone. I recently picked up a 95 LS400 and the owner tells me I'll be needing to get the 100k service done. Is it 90, 100, or 120k where services need to be done? lol sorry for the noob question, its just that throughout owning cars, I've never owned them long enough to get these services done to them

Anyway, I know that the timing belt is a must so I got this estimate from a local shop around my area which happens to be one of the most trusted mechanics around. I was just wondering if this is a reasonable estimate for all of these services: "REPLACE TIMING BELT, IDLER, TENSIONER, WATER PUMP, RADIATOR HOSES, THERMOSTAT, GASKET, OUTLET GASKET, WATER PIPE GASKET, WATER INLET GASKET, CAMSHAFT SEALS, CRANKSHAFT SEAL, DRIVE BELT, DISTRIBUTOR ROTORS, DIST, CAPS, SPARK PLUGS, AND SPARK PLUG WIRES" with the estimate total coming out to $2,034.43. Is this pretty reasonable? The mechanic included the distributor caps, rotors, spark plug, and wires w/ no labor charges since they will be right there.

Also what other things should I get taken care of? Any help/feedback would be appreciated.
Old 10-05-12, 09:42 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

CAMSHAFT SEALS, CRANKSHAFT SEAL, and radiator hoses are not necessarily needed by 100K, probably closer to 175K on those 3

everything else you mentioned sounds reasonable

those seals would be good to do, however, if you have confidence in the place, since they will be right there when they do the timing belt

I would use all Toyota parts, tell the shop you want the old boxes, for your records (this insures that they really use the pricier Toyota parts)

The next things a '95 will likely need will be power steering leaks fixed, ECU capacitors replaced, lower EGR pipe, and a tranny mount, and an IAC valve is a good possibility!

I would have the throttle body/butterfly cleaned.

If you don't fix the PS leaks, you can add an alternator to that list! (I learned the hard way )

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 10-05-12 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-05-12, 09:57 PM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

My '97 is nearing 175K, so it's about time for the 90K maintenance interval again. If what you say is true and all of that needs replace, I don't know how I feel about dumping over 1/3 of the value of a 15 year old car into a single round of repairs. My PS leaks to a degree, so it seems I should fix that instead of just topping off the fluid every few months if I don't want alternator problems too.

I remember seeing on eBay the entire OEM timing belt/water pump assembly sold as a bundle for less than $300, so if you or a friend know what you're doing, you can eliminate a huge labor cost.
Old 10-05-12, 10:05 PM
Lexinky
Rookie

I was quoted around $1400.00 for :

REPLACE TIMING BELT, IDLER, TENSIONER, WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT, GASKET, OUTLET GASKET, WATER PIPE GASKET, WATER INLET GASKET, CAMSHAFT SEALS, CRANKSHAFT SEAL,

but not the ]RADIATOR HOSES, SPARK PLUGS, AND SPARK PLUG WIRES,

I did it myself for around $300-$400 with the TIMING BELT, IDLER, TENSIONER, WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT, GASKET, OUTLET GASKET, WATER PIPE GASKET, WATER INLET GASKET, DRIVE BELT, DISTRIBUTOR ROTORS, DIST, CAPS.

I did not do the cam and crank seals. they were dry and showed no signs of any leaks.

You are in Hawaii, and you say he is one of the most trusted mechanics around,.

It's a big job to do and if he does something wrong you'll want him to fix it right? so........ yeah it sounds about right

Last edited by Lexinky; 10-05-12 at 10:08 PM.
Old 10-05-12, 10:17 PM
Lexinky
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mugen_1
My '97 is nearing 175K, so it's about time for the 90K maintenance interval again. If what you say is true and all of that needs replace, I don't know how I feel about dumping over 1/3 of the value of a 15 year old car into a single round of repairs. My PS leaks to a degree, so it seems I should fix that instead of just topping off the fluid every few months if I don't want alternator problems too.

I remember seeing on eBay the entire OEM timing belt/water pump assembly sold as a bundle for less than $300, so if you or a friend know what you're doing, you can eliminate a huge labor cost.
I agree with you.

I just did mine at 95,000 or so miles,and I will not do it again.

By the time it is due again in 5 to 6 years it probably won't make sense to.

I'll drive it until it just want run anymore ( hopefully 300,000 ) and move on and get me an LS430 or 460
Old 10-05-12, 11:07 PM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
CAMSHAFT SEALS, CRANKSHAFT SEAL, and radiator hoses are not necessarily needed by 100K, probably closer to 175K on those 3

everything else you mentioned sounds reasonable

those seals would be good to do, however, if you have confidence in the place, since they will be right there when they do the timing belt

I would use all Toyota parts, tell the shop you want the old boxes, for your records (this insures that they really use the pricier Toyota parts)

The next things a '95 will likely need will be power steering leaks fixed, ECU capacitors replaced, lower EGR pipe, and a tranny mount, and an IAC valve is a good possibility!

I would have the throttle body/butterfly cleaned.

If you don't fix the PS leaks, you can add an alternator to that list! (I learned the hard way )
Yes i've heard about the infamous PS leak causing the alternator to go out I'm writing all this down as reference! lol

Originally Posted by Mugen_1

It was the mechanic who told me all of that would need to be replaced. What could I do to lower the cost a bit? Out of all the things I listed that needs to be replaced, which ones would you guys leave out that doesn't really need replacing right now?

Originally Posted by Lexinky
I was quoted around $1400.00 for :

REPLACE TIMING BELT, IDLER, TENSIONER, WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT, GASKET, OUTLET GASKET, WATER PIPE GASKET, WATER INLET GASKET, CAMSHAFT SEALS, CRANKSHAFT SEAL,

but not the ]RADIATOR HOSES, SPARK PLUGS, AND SPARK PLUG WIRES,

I did it myself for around $300-$400 with the TIMING BELT, IDLER, TENSIONER, WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT, GASKET, OUTLET GASKET, WATER PIPE GASKET, WATER INLET GASKET, DRIVE BELT, DISTRIBUTOR ROTORS, DIST, CAPS.

I did not do the cam and crank seals. they were dry and showed no signs of any leaks.

You are in Hawaii, and you say he is one of the most trusted mechanics around,.

It's a big job to do and if he does something wrong you'll want him to fix it right? so........ yeah it sounds about right
So you're saying you did the TIMING BELT, IDLER, TENSIONER, WATER PUMP, THERMOSTAT, GASKET, OUTLET GASKET, WATER PIPE GASKET, WATER INLET GASKET, DRIVE BELT, DISTRIBUTOR ROTORS, DIST, CAPS on your own for around $300-400? What if I told my mechanic to just do all of that minus the radiator hoses, spark plugs, and wires? Would that lower the costs? I have a good friend who is a mechanic that would possibly be able to take care of that but his time is very limited. It's hard to catch him.
Old 10-05-12, 11:10 PM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Or hows about this...what can I have the mechanic do that everyone would require a mechanic to do (hard, inaccessible,PITA jobs) and what jobs can I have my good friend do? He's a mechanically inclined mechanic that could possibly take care of the less PITA jobs
Old 10-06-12, 06:56 AM
Lexinky
Rookie

It's not an easy job and you have to know what you are doing and have the tools to do it. Not to mention in my case the time I spent researching the job, so that I knew what I was getting in to.

It will take at least a day and a half to do everything you listed.

About the only things you could postpone are the hoses, wires and spark plugs. I say this because they are still easily accessable,after the timing belt replacement.

If you choose to not do the seals because they are not leaking like I did, be advised that the whole thing has to come apart again if they do start to leak later on.

It's hard to give great advice over the internet, you have to decide what condition the car is in and if you can postpone some things and if it is worth it.

IMHO the mechanic that gave you the quote is giving you a fair price, so maybe go discuss it further with him.

My biggest concern beyond cost, would be to use quality parts.

Mitsiboshi timing belt, Aisin water pump, ect. as is fouund in the TKT-010 kit.( note: this does not have the tensioner or the seals )

http://www.partsgeek.com/ffg2wds-lex...-belt-kit.html

I wish you good luck, with the new to you LS, and please post back if you have more questions and let us know how it all turns out.

Last edited by Lexinky; 10-06-12 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-06-12, 11:41 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like a decent price for what he quoted you.

i'm a Licensed Tech and typically i do timing belts and water pumps on most cars at 100k KM, not miles. at 200k KM i do the timing belt, water bump cam and crank seats as usually around 250k KM, the seals start to leak and everything has to be done again.
it is smart preventative maintenance to do it, as are things like the upper and lower rad hoses, thermostat, housing inlet gasket.
the spark plugs and wires are really a while you are in there add in where on pretty much every car, you have to remove them to do the timing belt job properly.

if the tech is as good and trusted as you say, then work with him,
as a tech nothing pisses me of more than a customer who asks for something then goes online and starts trying to haggle me on pricing.

if you are really mechanically inclined, its not a hard job to do, you just have to be exceptionally thorough and pay attention to what you are doing.

that said, i personally wouldn't try breaking it up into smaller jobs and let different guys have a go at it. if something goes wrong after the fact, both of those guys is going to be point at the other and you're going to be standing there looking like an idiot and paying for it again.

just my .02
Old 10-06-12, 01:44 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Yes i've heard about the infamous PS leak causing the alternator to go out
I can ASSURE YOU this is true!!

As far as the repairs, the timing belt needs to be done by a pro, cause if you screw that up, you will blow up your engine, some of the other jobs are not as critical, as the car might not run right if you make a mistake, but no permanent damage.
Old 10-06-12, 02:02 PM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexinky
It's not an easy job and you have to know what you are doing and have the tools to do it. Not to mention in my case the time I spent researching the job, so that I knew what I was getting in to.

It will take at least a day and a half to do everything you listed.

About the only things you could postpone are the hoses, wires and spark plugs. I say this because they are still easily accessable,after the timing belt replacement.

If you choose to not do the seals because they are not leaking like I did, be advised that the whole thing has to come apart again if they do start to leak later on.

It's hard to give great advice over the internet, you have to decide what condition the car is in and if you can postpone some things and if it is worth it.

IMHO the mechanic that gave you the quote is giving you a fair price, so maybe go discuss it further with him.

My biggest concern beyond cost, would be to use quality parts.

Mitsiboshi timing belt, Aisin water pump, ect. as is fouund in the TKT-010 kit.( note: this does not have the tensioner or the seals )

http://www.partsgeek.com/ffg2wds-lex...-belt-kit.html

I wish you good luck, with the new to you LS, and please post back if you have more questions and let us know how it all turns out.
Thanks for your advice Lexinky, I appreciate it! I'll see if I can just get everything else done besides the spark plugs, wires, and hoses. I know quality parts are important too. Again thanks for your advice dude

Originally Posted by Shmee
Seems like a decent price for what he quoted you.

i'm a Licensed Tech and typically i do timing belts and water pumps on most cars at 100k KM, not miles. at 200k KM i do the timing belt, water bump cam and crank seats as usually around 250k KM, the seals start to leak and everything has to be done again.
it is smart preventative maintenance to do it, as are things like the upper and lower rad hoses, thermostat, housing inlet gasket.
the spark plugs and wires are really a while you are in there add in where on pretty much every car, you have to remove them to do the timing belt job properly.

if the tech is as good and trusted as you say, then work with him,
as a tech nothing pisses me of more than a customer who asks for something then goes online and starts trying to haggle me on pricing.

if you are really mechanically inclined, its not a hard job to do, you just have to be exceptionally thorough and pay attention to what you are doing.

that said, i personally wouldn't try breaking it up into smaller jobs and let different guys have a go at it. if something goes wrong after the fact, both of those guys is going to be point at the other and you're going to be standing there looking like an idiot and paying for it again.

just my .02
I get what you're saying. I was just curious to find out if that was a pretty reasonable price because i've seen others post prices maybe couple hundreds lower than what I was quoted. But I get though and this mechanic worked on my Q before and did a great job at it, even cleaned up all the grease in my bay.

I can ASSURE YOU this is true!!

As far as the repairs, the timing belt needs to be done by a pro, cause if you screw that up, you will blow up your engine, some of the other jobs are not as critical, as the car might not run right if you make a mistake, but no permanent damage.
I better get my PS checked then! But ok, at least I got the reassurance that this job needs to be done by a professional. I feel better now haha.
Old 10-06-12, 02:19 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

if you wait too long on the PS leak, and blow up your alternator, make sure you get a lifetime warranty one from advance auto parts - theirs are good - and the alternator is a job you can safely do yourself!

Last edited by LScowboyLS; 10-06-12 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-06-12, 02:26 PM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

if you wait too long on the PS leak, and blow up your alternator, making sure you get a lifetime warranty one from advance auto parts - their's are good - and PS - that is a job you can safely do yourself!
Ok and how is the shipping on that site? Is it fast, good prices?
Old 10-06-12, 04:25 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Cowboy,
Stop using the words "... it's going to blow up your.....!"

They are not going to blow up. You will break or kill the parts/engine but he will not blow up.
Old 10-06-12, 05:41 PM
SPhoto
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shmee
Cowboy,
Stop using the words "... it's going to blow up your.....!"

They are not going to blow up. You will break or kill the parts/engine but he will not blow up.
lol, I took that blow up part literally