LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What did you do to your LS400 today?

Old 10-07-12, 11:45 AM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I am curious as to why also? Poor man's Tranny Flush?????
Old 10-07-12, 12:47 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hotdawwg
Yes, I am curious as to why also? Poor man's Tranny Flush?????
More like a smart mans tranny flush.

An actuall tranny flush is a great way to spend $150+ to destroy your transmission.
Old 10-07-12, 02:24 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, no, not really.
its just an exceptional waste of fluid and wont flush much extra out.

if you want to do a thorough tranny flush, you remove the radiator and have the tranny cooler properly sonically flushed, or run a divorced cooler rather than pulling your rad and sending it off for cleaning.
remove and flush the return cooler line with a chemical flush, reattach the line then you do a flush with a machine to cycle out all of the old fluid, remove and flush outlet cooler line and flush that, then drop and clean the pan, replace the filter and then refill.

if you have a ton of debris, grit and/or band/clutch-remnants in your tranny, the method i just outlined is about the only way, short of doing a complete rebuild, to remove it. dumping gallons of fluid through the trans is not going to have much of a decreeable effect without all the steps above.
Old 10-07-12, 03:17 PM
cobalt91
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shmee, the reason he said a power flush is agood way to destroy th e trans is there are a number of threads that guys have tried this. It usally leads to failure of the trans.
Old 10-07-12, 05:48 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

oh i know. Mr Lube and such quick lube places are notorious for destroying transmissions with power flushes!

doesn't change the fact that dumping a couple of gallons of fluid through the trans is not going to do more than simply dropping the pan, draining the TC, replacing the filter and refilling it.
all the crap hides in the trans-cooler so unless you are flushing that and the lines out, you can put hundreds of gallons of fluid through your tranny, it is not going to do much for cleaning it out...
Old 10-07-12, 07:49 PM
Lexinky
Rookie

I am not trying to remove large amounts of dirt and debri.

Quite the opposite.

I do not want to disturb anything and have it floating around causing problems.

It is an attempt to refresh the fluid and improve the lubrication and other attributes that a transmission fluid has.

It was brown, and now it is red, so............

Last edited by Lexinky; 10-07-12 at 08:26 PM. Reason: remove regrettable comment
Old 10-07-12, 08:29 PM
SynicalVip
Lead Lap

Hmm nothing done to the car physically today but just order myself a set of Megan's ez street! Does that count? Lol
Old 10-07-12, 10:47 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Lexinky,
next time just drop the pan , clean it out, clean off the magnet, replace the filter, put a new seal on he pan and button it back up before putting in your new fluid. the only way you are going to bugger something up is if you forget to put the filter in and don't clean the pan and/or magnet properly... but if you can wash a dish, you can clean the pan!

what you are doing makes about as much sense as doing the same thing with the engine oil... would you leave the oil filter on your engine for multiple service intervals while only changing the oil?

dropping the pan is not going to disturb anything. it actually removes crap. plus for the cost of the 2nd round of fluid, you easily could have paid for the filter kit. filter kits for these cars are like $20-35 with gasket.

just FYI.
Old 10-08-12, 07:02 AM
Lexinky
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shmee
Lexinky,
next time just drop the pan , clean it out, clean off the magnet, replace the filter, put a new seal on he pan and button it back up before putting in your new fluid. the only way you are going to bugger something up is if you forget to put the filter in and don't clean the pan and/or magnet properly... but if you can wash a dish, you can clean the pan!

what you are doing makes about as much sense as doing the same thing with the engine oil... would you leave the oil filter on your engine for multiple service intervals while only changing the oil?

dropping the pan is not going to disturb anything. it actually removes crap. plus for the cost of the 2nd round of fluid, you easily could have paid for the filter kit. filter kits for these cars are like $20-35 with gasket.

just FYI.
Uh ..... No

That's why I don't let techs work on my car.

You need to tone it down a notch.

I sense you have some good to offer this forum, but I also sense you are young and
still have a lot to learn.

You have no knowledge about my LS 's condition..... How it runs and how the transmission shift etc. or the maintenance that has been done to it by the previous owner. for example the transmission filter at 60,000.

If it even starts to shift in an abnormal way in the smallest amount I will drop the pan Ect.

It would still need new fluid so I don't understand your cost saving advice.

I'm not trying to slam you or anything, and I hope you don't get pissed by this, but geez dude........ REALLY ! ! ! !

Last edited by Lexinky; 10-08-12 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-08-12, 07:30 AM
Lexinky
Rookie

Originally Posted by SynicalVip
Hmm nothing done to the car physically today but just order myself a set of Megan's ez street! Does that count? Lol
Cool,
My suspension needs some attention too, I priced the components separately and it seems this might be the better way to go. I'd like to hear how it turns out and if you like them or not.
Old 10-08-12, 10:54 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexinky
Uh ..... No

That's why I don't let techs work on my car.

You need to tone it down a notch.

I sense you have some good to offer this forum, but I also sense you are young and still have a lot to learn.
Lol, i'm hardly pissed about anything.... I don't take the Internet seriously. I've been around it for a long time!
I think guys like you are great, what ever you want to do to your car, you're welcome to do!
Your senses do need some work though... I'm far from "young" and I'd say you probably have a lot more to learn than I.

Lol, but what do I know.... I'm only a "tech."
Old 10-08-12, 11:48 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexinky
Cool,
My suspension needs some attention too, I priced the components separately and it seems this might be the better way to go. I'd like to hear how it turns out and if you like them or not.
Deffinatly the way to go.
I pieced together some used tanabes with all new kyb shocks, mounts, insulators and bumpers
from the cheapest internet sites and it came to just under $1000. I would go for the cheaper megans if I ever did it again and put that extra $400 toward the 300 bushings that our cars have..
Old 10-09-12, 03:01 PM
Jspec603
Rookie

Originally Posted by Shmee
Lol, i'm hardly pissed about anything.... I don't take the Internet seriously. I've been around it for a long time!
I think guys like you are great, what ever you want to do to your car, you're welcome to do!
Your senses do need some work though... I'm far from "young" and I'd say you probably have a lot more to learn than I.

Lol, but what do I know.... I'm only a "tech."
Just wanna add my $0.02

The car does not have a filter, it has a screen. And it is specifically recommenced to do a drain and fill per the dealer (aka Toyota). To introduce 2 qts to the system at a time.

Also, just saying, your coming across as a know it all a-hole man. Perhaps that is why you got the reply that you did. It doesn't matter how young or old you are, how much experience or inexperience you have. It's all in your presentation.

I do not doubt that you have a wealth of knowledge stored up in your memory banks, may just be a good idea to choose how to share it.

Just saying what others are thinking. That is all. Good day.
Old 10-09-12, 05:08 PM
E36M3
Driver

Did not do anything to my LS but here's what I did today. I reinforced my car ramps with more 10x12, and I just finished doing the oil change to my BMW and Jeep.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LS400 today?-car-ramps008.jpg   What did you do to your LS400 today?-car-ramps007.jpg   What did you do to your LS400 today?-car-ramps002.jpg   What did you do to your LS400 today?-car-ramps010.jpg   What did you do to your LS400 today?-car-ramps005.jpg  

Old 10-09-12, 05:24 PM
Glidin316
Driver School Candidate

awesome ramp! never thought of anything like that

today i installed my Bellezza curtains and kin tsuna.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS400 today?