LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What did you do to your LS400 today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-15, 09:24 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Took out my homemade mesh grille and put the "black chrome" badgeless grille back in. Also, reinstalled my Toyota emblem.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LS400 today?-imag0024.jpg   What did you do to your LS400 today?-imag0028.jpg   What did you do to your LS400 today?-imag0025.jpg   What did you do to your LS400 today?-imag0027.jpg  
Old 10-23-15, 10:56 AM
GrnTurismo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cleaned out the throttle body. Can't say it made much of a difference, but at least I know its condition now!

Before:

After:

Old 10-23-15, 03:58 PM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did wash and clay bar

next thing to do wash again and polish
then clean inside the headlights and probly change the tires

im not sure still confused on if i should get new wheels or what......
Old 10-23-15, 10:12 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Doing front end, shock struts and UCA, don't ya just love it when who ever did the work last uses an impact wrench to over tighten everything? Like top tower nuts that are supposed to be 27 ft lbs. that are more like 80 stuff like that.
Old 10-24-15, 03:01 PM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 173 Likes on 130 Posts

Ha, I filled up with gas and put a new air filter in, getting ready for winter..
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your LS400 today?-af.jpg  

Last edited by billydpowe; 10-24-15 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-24-15, 04:23 PM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Detailed my engine and washed the car. Getting ready for timing belt and water pump in the near future.
Old 10-26-15, 07:40 AM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dicer
Doing front end, shock struts and UCA, don't ya just love it when who ever did the work last uses an impact wrench to over tighten everything? Like top tower nuts that are supposed to be 27 ft lbs. that are more like 80 stuff like that.
Must have used the German method...Gudentight
Old 10-27-15, 12:37 AM
1uzLexzeus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cruised my ls like it was going outta style, love to hear it's exhaust note with all the windows rolled down!
Old 10-27-15, 03:28 AM
Losiracer2
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 171 Posts

I'm going to be doing the lower balljoints in the fronts today. I'm getting pretty noticeable clunking and with 254k miles on the car, I feel its LONG overdue.

FYI i just purchased the car 2 weeks ago, so its not due to neglect on my part, just trying to keep myself safe.
Old 10-27-15, 02:41 PM
Legender
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 76 Posts

Got the 'dreaded' tail lamp not working message today on my dashboard as I drove to work. Guess I'll be searching for which one of those bad boys let me down. Hope that's all it is.
Old 10-28-15, 06:41 AM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AandSC
Detailed my engine and washed the car. Getting ready for timing belt and water pump in the near future.

would love to detail my engine bay but im scared to get anything wet. Can you share details on how you did your detailing? Steam clean, powerwash ???? what did you cover up and waterproof?? thanks
Old 10-28-15, 07:41 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by saleenssc
would love to detail my engine bay but im scared to get anything wet. Can you share details on how you did your detailing? Steam clean, powerwash ???? what did you cover up and waterproof?? thanks
I've been using the same process for the past 20 years with great results and never an issue.

I start with a cold engine, remove the top cover from the engine (4 10MM bolts/nuts), lightly spray with water (but don't spray water into the air intake), spray a 20% Simple Green and 80% water solution over everything, wipe down with a wash mit or brush for spots that need it, spray lightly with water but thoroughly. Simple Green is a corrosive so you want a thorough rinse to get rid of it all. Respray the Simple Green/water solution anywhere that didn't come clean and rinse thoroughly. Give the water a couple minutes to drain and then start up the car. This uses the engine heat to evaporate the water. I leave the car running while I wash and dry the car and then open the hood and dry up any residual water left in the engine compartment. Next step is to spray everything with Vinylex and let it sit for about five minutes. Wipe down everything with a clean rag and you'll have a new looking engine. I usually do this about once a year, or whenever the engine starts to look like it needs it.

I like to do this so that when I work on the engine it's much easier not having to deal with the dirt/oil/grease/etc. This pic is after the first cleaning. The one I just did cleaned up the front and lower part of the radiator better.

Name:  LS400%20Engine.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  334.8 KB
Old 10-28-15, 08:13 AM
saleenssc
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AandSC
I've been using the same process for the past 20 years with great results and never an issue.

I start with a cold engine, remove the top cover from the engine (4 10MM bolts/nuts), lightly spray with water (but don't spray water into the air intake), spray a 20% Simple Green and 80% water solution over everything, wipe down with a wash mit or brush for spots that need it, spray lightly with water but thoroughly. Simple Green is a corrosive so you want a thorough rinse to get rid of it all. Respray the Simple Green/water solution anywhere that didn't come clean and rinse thoroughly. Give the water a couple minutes to drain and then start up the car. This uses the engine heat to evaporate the water. I leave the car running while I wash and dry the car and then open the hood and dry up any residual water left in the engine compartment. Next step is to spray everything with Vinylex and let it sit for about five minutes. Wipe down everything with a clean rag and you'll have a new looking engine. I usually do this about once a year, or whenever the engine starts to look like it needs it.

I like to do this so that when I work on the engine it's much easier not having to deal with the dirt/oil/grease/etc. This pic is after the first cleaning. The one I just did cleaned up the front and lower part of the radiator better.

Thanks. Ill get it done this weekend.
Old 10-28-15, 10:38 AM
akswagga
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hiroshi12
Took out my homemade mesh grille and put the "black chrome" badgeless grille back in. Also, reinstalled my Toyota emblem.
bro do you have any more pictures im digging your headlights and grill
where'd you get the grill from ? i need something like that any websites that ship world wide ?
Old 11-14-15, 03:05 PM
Hiroshi12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by akswagga
bro do you have any more pictures im digging your headlights and grill
where'd you get the grill from ? i need something like that any websites that ship world wide ?
Thanks for the compliment akswagga

Well, the badgeless grill came from Made in China, Inc. (ebay) and the mesh grille I made myself. My headlights are standard but with "eyebrow" lense covers installed.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your LS400 today?