LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

2-piece Front Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 09:19 AM
sakon3
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2-piece Front Rotors

Ok I have the 4pot Front Calipers on my car. I cant seem to find any decent rotors for the car. (Yes I searched)

I some people mention DBA. After I looked around the web, I can only find rotors for the early year models without 4 pot calipers.

I DONT WANT ANY EBAY STUFF.

I am only looking for DBA, Stop-tech, Project-Mu and similiar types. Preferrably a two piece vented rotor. I would like something with a hat and disc that can be seperated. I dont mind spending 500+ for a set of front rotors

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13997751@N00/8033094179/
Old 09-28-12, 10:04 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good lord.
Why do you want to spend so much for rotors that are most likely weaker because they are 2 pieces?
Old 09-28-12, 10:08 AM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SpencerT
good lord.
Why do you want to spend so much for rotors that are most likely weaker because they are 2 pieces?
Um, 2-piece rotors don't make the rotor weaker.... It actually helps dissipate heat a lot better... You see them used in high performance and race speed vehicles....
Old 09-28-12, 10:20 AM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sure hope your building a ls400 race car.

rotors designed for disapating heat quicker and race pads require a higher temp for braking. which would not be recommended on the street since they will never get hot enough for it to function properly.

unless your building a race car. normal OTS (off-the-shelf) rotors and streetable pads will work.

Or if your looking for the fancy look. powder coat the rotor hats and or machine slots into the rotor.

Or find the specs of OE rotors and call DBA or stoptech and see if they have something similar that is OTS so it wont be as expensive as making one off rotors.
Old 09-28-12, 10:40 AM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

your correct. I shouldve searched.
I figured the rivets connecting the hat to disc would be a weak point.
apparently not.
Old 09-28-12, 10:40 AM
sakon3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hotdawwg
Um, 2-piece rotors don't make the rotor weaker.... It actually helps dissipate heat a lot better... You see them used in high performance and race speed vehicles....
Correct!

Originally Posted by dengman
]sure hope your building a ls400 race car.
rotors designed for disapating heat quicker and race pads require a higher temp for braking. which would not be recommended on the street since they will never get hot enough for it to function properly.
unless your building a race car. normal OTS (off-the-shelf) rotors and streetable pads will work.

Or if your looking for the fancy look. powder coat the rotor hats and or machine slots into the rotor.

Or find the specs of OE rotors and call DBA or stoptech and see if they have something similar that is OTS so it wont be as expensive as making one off rotors.
maybe or just using the awesome calipers that are readily available from your cars!! (btw these are going on a SC with a 2JZGTE swap with a 71mm turbo)
I thought about a BBK, but the 4 piston are already sufficient, hell they are an upgrade over the Supra calipers from what i understand (lighter aluminum, better heat transfer)
I will give stop-tech and DBA a shout.

How are the brembo OEM rotors for roll racing (60-160 mph roll racing) I plan on doing multiple back to back runs.
with that kind of use do they warp easy? I have issues before when I had my Audi S4 doing high mph roll racing runs

Last edited by sakon3; 09-28-12 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-28-12, 02:24 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by sakon3
Correct!

maybe or just using the awesome calipers that are readily available from your cars!! (btw these are going on a SC with a 2JZGTE swap with a 71mm turbo)
I thought about a BBK, but the 4 piston are already sufficient, hell they are an upgrade over the Supra calipers from what i understand (lighter aluminum, better heat transfer)
I will give stop-tech and DBA a shout.

How are the brembo OEM rotors for roll racing (60-160 mph roll racing) I plan on doing multiple back to back runs.
with that kind of use do they warp easy? I have issues before when I had my Audi S4 doing high mph roll racing runs
actually 2-piece present several advantages, such as reducing rotating mass, allowing or custom disk offset in a bbk application, and of course increased heat dissipation since the center section isn't a contiguous piece of steel.

However they also (generally) can't be resurfaced on traditional lathes (especially when fully floated), are very expensive in comparison, and need to have custom center sections for nonstandard applications.

For anything less than track cars a solid 1pc rotor (vented and slotted, never drilled unless they're casted in) is more than adequate.

OP for you take a loook at either some solid blank rotors (I prefer Centric rotors as they're much cheaper than OEM and Centric is a HUGE OEM manufacturer, and own stoptech iirc). R1concepts is where I get my rotors, and they offer slotted rotors based off the Centric blanks.

the brembo blanks work good too, but they aren't made in germany (now made in mexico iirc) and are somewhat overpriced compared to the Centric.

Last edited by PureDrifter; 09-29-12 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-28-12, 11:37 PM
hotdawwg
Pole Position

PureDrifter is the man!
Old 09-29-12, 01:35 AM
Mugen_1
Lexus Test Driver

+1 for R1 Concepts rotors
Old 09-29-12, 12:43 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Can vented, slotted rotors be resurfaced? From my understanding I thought that they can't.
Old 09-30-12, 05:55 AM
sakon3
Driver School Candidate

Well for what I am trying to build the car up to, I dont think the one piece rotors are going to do the trick.

I am going to be doing multiple back to back high speed runs. (This is not a street car)

To give everyone an idea, heres some threads from people who have competed in the texas mile, and have all complained about one piece rotors crapping out.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-runway-2.html

then again here are some R35 GTR Rotors ( same design Im looking for) crapping out at TEN 200mph passes

http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60986

I will be calling DBA, and Stop Tech tommorow to try and get some info and pricing. This would be valuable info to anyone using these calipers, believe it or not, there are Supras pushing 800+hp on these calipers!

As much as the slotted one piece are perfect for normal street use, my intentions are for other than street use and multiple 100+mph back to back runs.

I'll post again once I here from DBA and Stop Tech. Does anyone know stock sizing?
Old 09-30-12, 07:26 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

only option you have is getting wilwood or DBA to make you supra rotors (hub offset and such) but to the LS400 4pot rotor diameter. that MIGHT work.
Old 10-02-12, 09:07 AM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Umm if you are doing Texas mile racing, why don't you just get a 14" bbk from someone like TCE with some monster thick rotors. You are going to have a hard time finding brakes that will handle 10+ stops from ~150+mph without warping. He'll, even the brakes we used in the 24hr Daytona wouldn't take abuse like that and we were running the biggest baddest stuff from performance friction and brembo.

Rotors alone won't be your solution, you need to develop a comets braking solution!
That or just get 10 sets of rotors and swap them between runs!
Old 10-02-12, 08:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

I forgot to point out earlier, but the ISF with it's massive brembos runs a single piece high carbon cast rotor...

for the kind of racing you're doing you'll have more than adequate time between runs for the brakes to cool. Pad choice and hydraulic choice will be more important factors than the type of rotor you run.
Old 01-15-19, 06:13 PM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 407 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Two piece front rotors

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
I forgot to point out earlier, but the ISF with it's massive brembos runs a single piece high carbon cast rotor...

for the kind of racing you're doing you'll have more than adequate time between runs for the brakes to cool. Pad choice and hydraulic choice will be more important factors than the type of rotor you run.
Am working to reduce unsprung weight on 1999 LS400....beginning with front brake rotors

Two piece front brake rotors incorporate a steel rotor ring and aluminum rotor hat, reducing rotating mass/unsprung weight about 8 pounds.

Seeking vendor recommendations

Thanks.

Last edited by YODAONE; 01-15-19 at 06:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 2-piece Front Rotors