LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-14, 12:01 PM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yamae
Did you check every trace around capacitors carefully with an ohm meter?
Did you check nearby parts not be damaged by the liquid?
Is there any point where the liquid is invading to the internal layers?
I have not checked the capacitors using an ohm meter. My caps looked fine before I replaced them, I just assumed they were bad and did preventative maintenance (no actual leakage). I was having this starting issue before I replaced them and wanted to be able to rule out the ECU as the culprit. I am not sure what would be causing a "safety shutdown". Would this be an action controlled by the ECU or the theft deterrent system? I am out of ideas as I have been working on this no start issue for the past month and it has me questioning my troubleshooting skills (or lack thereof) .
Old 08-13-14, 03:46 PM
evoltap
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worry about the board was already damaged as you wrote above. As I wrote in the post #925, the leaked liquid damages not only the traces, but also the board itself invading inside of layers. I suggest you to find some used ECU on ebay or somewhere and to use it after replacing original capacitors to the recommended ones.
Thanks Yamae. Although I guess I can't rule that out, I think I wasn't totally clear: one ECU I have has visible damage, the one I re-capped and have in the car has no visible damage. I just want to be sure the issues I'm experiencing are ECU related and not something else. The symptoms are that the car will start and idle fine and rev fine up to 5k rpms, etc. but feels a little rough. When I drive it, it stutters when shifting to 2nd and 3rd and if I try to accelerate too much, it will just stall. It will then start but if and when it stalls again, it will not start. Disconnecting the battery for several hours then seems to get it to start. During this time it won't start, there's a smell like starting fluid (I haven't used any). Do I need a new ECU? Thanks again.
Old 08-13-14, 04:33 PM
RugbyDad
Pole Position

Originally Posted by evoltap
Thanks Yamae. Although I guess I can't rule that out, I think I wasn't totally clear: one ECU I have has visible damage, the one I re-capped and have in the car has no visible damage. I just want to be sure the issues I'm experiencing are ECU related and not something else. The symptoms are that the car will start and idle fine and rev fine up to 5k rpms, etc. but feels a little rough. When I drive it, it stutters when shifting to 2nd and 3rd and if I try to accelerate too much, it will just stall. It will then start but if and when it stalls again, it will not start. Disconnecting the battery for several hours then seems to get it to start. During this time it won't start, there's a smell like starting fluid (I haven't used any). Do I need a new ECU? Thanks again.
Things like this are hardly ever just a one thing. Its probably quite a few things. I would start to look at the fuel system. A clogged fuel filter will allow for a car to start but once the engine is placed under load, ie heavy acceleration, the fuel requirements are increased and the fuel filter can't pass fuel through adequately. Also a bad fuel pump will exhibit some of the same symptoms as what you are describing as far as the car stalling and sputtering.

Get them diagnosed ASAP. A full inspection may be necessary. (Not a emissions and safety inspection, but more like a PPI).
Old 08-13-14, 05:05 PM
Yamae

Received 852 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by IBGREEZY
I have not checked the capacitors using an ohm meter. My caps looked fine before I replaced them, I just assumed they were bad and did preventative maintenance (no actual leakage). I was having this starting issue before I replaced them and wanted to be able to rule out the ECU as the culprit. I am not sure what would be causing a "safety shutdown". Would this be an action controlled by the ECU or the theft deterrent system? I am out of ideas as I have been working on this no start issue for the past month and it has me questioning my troubleshooting skills (or lack thereof) .
Judging from your words "I was having this starting issue before I replaced them" , your problem sounds like an issue not related to those capacitors to me.
Old 08-13-14, 05:11 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by evoltap
Thanks Yamae. Although I guess I can't rule that out, I think I wasn't totally clear: one ECU I have has visible damage, the one I re-capped and have in the car has no visible damage. I just want to be sure the issues I'm experiencing are ECU related and not something else. The symptoms are that the car will start and idle fine and rev fine up to 5k rpms, etc. but feels a little rough. When I drive it, it stutters when shifting to 2nd and 3rd and if I try to accelerate too much, it will just stall. It will then start but if and when it stalls again, it will not start. Disconnecting the battery for several hours then seems to get it to start. During this time it won't start, there's a smell like starting fluid (I haven't used any). Do I need a newthe ECU? Thanks again.
Sounds like you have a fuel related issue. The 5K rpm limitation may be caused by the fuel supply shortage, I assume.
Old 08-13-14, 09:52 PM
evoltap
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RugbyDad
Things like this are hardly ever just a one thing. Its probably quite a few things. I would start to look at the fuel system. A clogged fuel filter will allow for a car to start but once the engine is placed under load, ie heavy acceleration, the fuel requirements are increased and the fuel filter can't pass fuel through adequately. Also a bad fuel pump will exhibit some of the same symptoms as what you are describing as far as the car stalling and sputtering.

Get them diagnosed ASAP. A full inspection may be necessary. (Not a emissions and safety inspection, but more like a PPI).
Thanks for the advice. So even though I replaced my ECU caps, I may be on the wrong thread. Just to clear up one thing, it most likely will rev past 5k rpms, that's just as far as I've rev'd it. In other words, it will rev high and normal when it's in park, it only fails when driving, and usually when shifting around 2nd or 3rd gear. One final piece of information that I discovered today is that in the 100 degree Texas heat with direct sun, it won't start at all-- once it's night and it drops to 80 or so, it starts right up. Do you guys think it's futile to try and get another ECU, and that I should start going down the checklist, starting with the fuel system?
Old 08-14-14, 06:56 PM
IBGREEZY
Rookie

Judging from your words "I was having this starting issue before I replaced them" , your problem sounds like an issue not related to those capacitors to me.
Thank you Yamae-San. I finally figured out the problem to all my starting issues, it was a clogged third cat. It was obviously so clogged, it was preventing exhaust flow completely causing the car to start once and then die and not start for the remainder of the day. We at ClubLexus are grateful to have you as a contributing member of our community. Not many would invest the time that you have into helping others troubleshoot their cars. Domo arigato Yamae-San
Old 08-16-14, 09:17 AM
bdazzler
Rookie

Trying to solve an issue w/ an older Lexus, 1994 LS 400. Problem code said the issue was w/ speed sensor #1 which I replaced. Not shifting into overdrive, cruise control doesn't work. Some have said it might be a problem with speedometer/odometer but found this thread through a search. Searched within the thread but didn't see overdrive issue being related. Has anyone solved same/similar problem as mine by changing capacitors?

Thanks in advance for reading and/or responding...
Old 08-16-14, 07:00 PM
Yamae

Originally Posted by IBGREEZY
Thank you Yamae-San. I finally figured out the problem to all my starting issues, it was a clogged third cat. It was obviously so clogged, it was preventing exhaust flow completely causing the car to start once and then die and not start for the remainder of the day. We at ClubLexus are grateful to have you as a contributing member of our community. Not many would invest the time that you have into helping others troubleshoot their cars. Domo arigato Yamae-San
Thanks for the update and congratulations on your success to figure out the root cause, IBGREEZY.
I'm sure your LS400 now runs very well.
Old 08-18-14, 04:27 PM
dlm728
Driver School Candidate

Default 99 es 300

Excellent post! Our 99 ES 300 exhibits some of the listed symptoms. I have changed 100's of caps, but never in a car. I became a monitor repairman at Zenith in 1980. I will definitely ck out the board. Thanks again.
Old 08-20-14, 05:14 PM
dlm728
Driver School Candidate

Default ECU's on ES 300

Great post. Our ES 300 exhibits strange symptoms. Anything particular to 99 ES 300 ECU?
Old 08-20-14, 05:23 PM
dlm728
Driver School Candidate

Default bad caps

Are 99 ES 300's ECU's at risk?
Old 08-20-14, 06:44 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by dlm728
Are 99 ES 300's ECU's at risk?
to answer your question, yes all models are at risk. though it seems toyota has retrofitted the newer 98-up cars with better capacitors but only time will tell if they need replacing. it also depends if you live in humid climates.
Old 08-21-14, 01:37 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default Tech help replacing the caps

I was an ET when it was tubes and transistors. I am now 72 and down to one eye that doesn't do close work very well anymore. I thought I could do this cap replacement project but I was wrong. I replaced two caps with some difficulty but a third gave me fits and I tacked the new cap onto the old cap's leads. In short.....the board is OK and I have thrown in the towel. I have all the hi quality caps in hand plus extras.

Where can I send this ECU to have the remaining caps replaced? The post is 64 pagers long and I am going blind looking for a contact.

My original problem was it went into limp mode a couple times and just stalled/quit once. All this was reported to me by Wifey.

I live in Eugene, Orygun. Last thing I read years ago was that there was a shop in "Georgia" that did repairs.

Thanks for your help......I need it. 1993 SC 400, 160K miles. Original ECU 541 915 0832 jegrabe@gmail.com

Thank you,

John
Old 08-21-14, 04:10 PM
golfindude
Driver School Candidate

Default Sounds like what's wrong with my GX470??? HELP!!

HI Yamae and all,
My 2004 GX470 is currently dying while at idle randomly and will currently not start; reading this thread makes me think I may have this ECU issue.

Here's the thread I posted in the GX470; does this sound like it may be the same thing? If so, are the CAPS on the GX ECU the same as the LS? The car is currently at a local shop where they're trying to track down the problem - I'm trying to help... Thanks for any thoughts or guidance you might have.

GX forum link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...tart-help.html

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)