LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-14, 04:45 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by golfindude
HI Yamae and all,
My 2004 GX470 is currently dying while at idle randomly and will currently not start; reading this thread makes me think I may have this ECU issue.

Here's the thread I posted in the GX470; does this sound like it may be the same thing? If so, are the CAPS on the GX ECU the same as the LS? The car is currently at a local shop where they're trying to track down the problem - I'm trying to help... Thanks for any thoughts or guidance you might have.

GX forum link: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...tart-help.html
I don't think as you think.
As far as I know, any GX470 does not have those capacitors that contain infamous quaternaty ammonium salt in the ECU.
Old 09-11-14, 07:03 AM
python
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

so I had ordered my caps from digi-key and sent my ecm off to jim walker for repair. its being shipped back today and ill have it reinstalled as soon as I get it. I asked him if the caps were leaking..bulged..or any corrosion...he said everything was fine. I wasn't having any issues with my car (92) as it runs fine, I just did this because of everything ive read. ill report back when my car is all back together.
heres a copy of an email I got from him:
"Yes, please let me know how it goes with your car. I doubt yours will need to do the re-learning process since there were no actual failures on yours. I wish I could get those from other customers before they have extensive corrsion damage.
Your boards were 2 layer, not 4 layer like the 93/94 LS400. That makes it a little easier to replace components. I removed to silicon conformal coating, replaced the components, then applied new conformal coating in those areas. This helps to prevent corrosion on the PC boards."

Last edited by python; 09-12-14 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-12-14, 03:37 PM
bdazzler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O/D light, no cruise control

Anybody solve issue with no overdrive (O/D light flashing) and no cruise control by changing capacitors or ECU? I've changed speed sensor #1 (error code 42) and transmission solenoids and still have same issue. I was advised faulty ECU could be the issue due to you guessed it, leaking capacitors. Just wondering if anyone had same issue as me and solved it through the topic or by changing the ECU. Getting expensive and time consuming trying to find the culprit. Appreciate any assistance/advice!

Originally Posted by bdazzler
Trying to solve an issue w/ an older Lexus, 1994 LS 400. Problem code said the issue was w/ speed sensor #1 which I replaced. Not shifting into overdrive, cruise control doesn't work. Some have said it might be a problem with speedometer/odometer but found this thread through a search. Searched within the thread but didn't see overdrive issue being related. Has anyone solved same/similar problem as mine by changing capacitors?

Thanks in advance for reading and/or responding...
Old 09-14-14, 09:24 AM
python
Lexus Champion

car is back together...
one issue I was having was a little rough idle at cold start up...that's gone.
the car seems to be shifting better through all the gears. I will do a mpg comparison at a later date and report back,maybe ill just add octane booster to get great mileage,just kidding.
just to be clear here I had this done for preventative measure reasons...my car is going on 25 years old and capacitors do have a limited life expectancy.
Old 09-14-14, 10:16 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

bdazzler if your ECU has not had the caps replaced, they are due. Plenty of strange symptoms depending on how much leakage is happening. get those caps replaced and tackle the next step if any continue.

python
Old 09-14-14, 10:23 AM
bdazzler
Rookie

Originally Posted by RA40
bdazzler if your ECU has not had the caps replaced, they are due. Plenty of strange symptoms depending on how much leakage is happening. get those caps replaced and tackle the next step if any continue.

python
Thanks for replying! Was just hoping there was someone who had same issues and replaced the caps or ECM which solved the issue. Seems some people replaced #1 speed sensor which solved it and then others the tranny solenoids so it's like a big ole mystery, hah hah.

The car hasn't really had any mechanical issues at all before this.
Old 09-14-14, 10:41 AM
python
Lexus Champion

I would do the ripple test if u were u bdazzler
Old 09-15-14, 08:58 AM
OriginalLS
Driver School Candidate

Default have replaced capacitors still stalls in heat

I have a very low mileage '90 LS less than 66000 miles. Ran erratically/sometimes stalled in high heat. I replaced all capacitors with ones suggested on this blog and car runs like new. When car left in sun/heat too long it will sometimes lose rpm/stall, seemingly from lack of fuel. Pressing on accelerator pedal will not effect rpm. It will immediately restart when stopped without fail. Seems like a fuel supply problem. I have read elsewhere on this blog of LS owner who had similar problems with heat and replace fuel pump resistor and or pump. The fuel pump relay is fine - removed and tested that with external power source. This is an immaculate LS400. Interior and Engine compartment is as clean as if new. Any ideas/suggestions appreciated.
Old 09-15-14, 10:32 AM
bdazzler
Rookie

I prefer champipple over just Ripple, lol. Seriously though, never heard of it. Care to elaborate? Getting ready to go outside and try to get at the ECU to have a look.

Originally Posted by python
I would do the ripple test if u were u bdazzler
Old 09-15-14, 11:39 AM
bdazzler
Rookie

Just saw this, I guess this is what you mean: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-by-yamae.html

Thanx.

Originally Posted by bdazzler
I prefer champipple over just Ripple, lol. Seriously though, never heard of it. Care to elaborate? Getting ready to go outside and try to get at the ECU to have a look.
Old 09-16-14, 03:30 PM
oldskewel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

I've just ordered the caps, and am preparing to do this on my '91 with a problem that this might fix (on this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-egr-pipe.html ), and I know I need to get it done anyway.

Anyway, funny thing I noticed when ordering from digikey: after selecting the first item (10 uF cap), digikey automatically presents you with a table showing "Customers Who Purchased This Product are also Interested In:" Guess what's in there. Exactly every other single cap on the Cowboy/Yamae updated list from post #1. You guys are affecting the global electronics supply chain! It actually made it easier for me to confirm that I had everything right on the list.
Old 09-16-14, 06:38 PM
Yamae

Received 855 Likes on 646 Posts

My intention is just extend the life of our LS400/Celsior not to affect the global electronics supply chain.
But in the past I have strongly experienced that my little work has affected a lot to parts manufacturing companies and the market situations. I had to be careful what I designed.

The other day, a director at the local Toyota dealer said, "Many old cars we have sold are still running around here and we cannot sell new cars well".

I said, "It may be because you have been doing good repair jobs".

He said,"We used to do the ECU replacing jobs but almost none these days. Old cars are still running many and I just wonder why?".

I don't think my assistances to local independent repair shops are affecting the dealer's business, but I just wonder why he said it to me.
Old 09-16-14, 08:05 PM
python
Lexus Champion

just to be clear..Toyota is not what it used to be in the way of reliability. theres other reasons they aren't selling new cars. so many issues with their engines like oil sludging and using cheap parts throughout, domestic cars have actually gained some ground..
Old 09-17-14, 07:50 AM
kennruckey
Driver School Candidate

I have a 1995 Lexus ES300, could I have the same problem? I have the symptoms. What Capacitors should I use? Same ones?
Old 09-17-14, 08:48 PM
python
Lexus Champion

95 es has issues with little stuff like window motors and things, that's actually a good year..they started having the sludge issue a few years later..97 or 98 I believe..anyways im not too sure about the caps in ur ecm..im sure yamae will inform u

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)