LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-14, 06:08 PM
joelpr1234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
could you post all of the information on the various caps that are in these pics?
ECU: 37820-P06-A50

Caps:
3- 33uf 35v
1- 47uf 10v
1- 100uf 10v
1- 220uf 10v
1- 220uf 35v (I got an ecu with this one burned, I was reading that is recommended to replace it in many honda forums)

I got them using the links in the op and searching in digikey
Old 03-03-14, 07:51 AM
metalman
Driver School Candidate

I went with some suggestion here and bought a second ECU off ebay.........It pays to wait, when you get one for $45 free shipping. Came from Canada, so maybe the Caps aren't so fried. Runs good for now, will send the original out for service when I get a chance. My charging issue was Power steering fluid in my new alternator. It was a major leak, filled every 2 days. Fixed by plugging hole with bolt for now. (if I could only buy the O rings for the sensor.) No problems after cleaning it. I love this car more everyday.
Old 03-03-14, 11:08 AM
dveneman
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by metalman
I went with some suggestion here and bought a second ECU off ebay.........It pays to wait, when you get one for $45 free shipping. Came from Canada, so maybe the Caps aren't so fried. Runs good for now, will send the original out for service when I get a chance. My charging issue was Power steering fluid in my new alternator. It was a major leak, filled every 2 days. Fixed by plugging hole with bolt for now. (if I could only buy the O rings for the sensor.) No problems after cleaning it. I love this car more everyday.

Sounds like you got lucky with the alternator.

"..will send the original out for service.........." Waiting for it.
Old 03-06-14, 12:30 AM
Roel2377
Driver School Candidate

Who do you recommend to fix my 98 sc 400 ECU I need it to be fix ASAP!
Old 03-07-14, 02:58 PM
Shiftone
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, New to the forum and new Lexus owner. I was given a 92 SC300 with no ECU and apparently major issues. I am currently buying a ebay ECU as I have not been able to locate an ECU matching the part # the Dealer gave me based on the VIN#.

In my search I came across this thread and believe I will change the caps when I receive the ECU. Does anyone know which caps I need and how many of each?

I would like to order them and get them when the ECU gets here. ECU# 89661-24312

By the way this thread is dripping with genius!
Old 03-07-14, 05:05 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

It would be prudent to order the caps after you have received the ECU and verified which ones it contains, but they should all be linked to in my list in post #1 - make sure you order the exact caps linked to, there are no substitutes that will work. - In other words, just getting the cap's size and voltage correct is not enough, these caps are a particular very rare type, they are not available locally, they are almost not available outside of Japan!

and get some verification of that ECU number, such as some buddies with the exact year model of SC300 over in the SC section of Club Lexus or in your town.
Old 03-07-14, 06:01 PM
Shiftone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
It would be prudent to order the caps after you have received the ECU and verified which ones it contains, but they should all be linked to in my list in post #1 - make sure you order the exact caps linked to, there are no substitutes that will work. - In other words, just getting the cap's size and voltage correct is not enough, these caps are a particular very rare type, they are not available locally, they are almost not available outside of Japan!

and get some verification of that ECU number, such as some buddies with the exact year model of SC300 over in the SC section of Club Lexus or in your town.
Will do on the caps and good idea on askin the guys in the sc forum. Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-08-14, 07:05 PM
sshhlexus
Rookie

Any recommendations for a good 40W+ soldering iron?
Out of 3 soldering irons, or 2 now in my toolbox.
1. The good quality one I have is only 25W and I have 2 clean tips for it.
2. This one is an old black radio shack 35W, no tips, just one very dirty tip.
3. The 45W one is in the wastebasket. It smokes when you plug it.

In examining the boards, the original and a spare, it really takes a toll on my eyesight. I've been using a light and magnifying glass. Any ideas on how to better view the board up close.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-08-14, 07:19 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

the one I mentioned in post #1 of this thread is a good one and it is dirt cheap at radio shack

the part number is in post #1 of this thread in the recommended tools section!
Old 03-08-14, 07:20 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sshhlexus

In examining the boards, the original and a spare, it really takes a toll on my eyesight. I've been using a light and magnifying glass. Any ideas on how to better view the board up close.
I use an LED headlamp and clear Dewalt safety glasses
Old 03-09-14, 07:20 PM
petebrown
Driver School Candidate

Hi - i'm able to get the ECU capacitors replaced by my local electronics shop ... however they don't have the exact capacitors you mention.

Here is there reply ... can you let me know if this would be ok or do i really need to source the low ESR types instead.

thx
pete
====================
Me:
what about the capacitors themselves ? The forum link I sent you was very specific about the type and quality of capacitor that needed to be used – do you have those type in stock or do I need to source them ?

Electronics shop reply:
We do have these capacitors in stock except for the 15uf which can be replaced with a 22uf, should have no effect on the device just higher amount of storage and filtration. We do not carry the low esr capacitors as they suggest as from experience we found the low esr caps did not last as long as the TKR capacitors we use. If you would like to source the exact ones for your peace of mind that is fine, Our supplier does not have the 15uf capacitors specified. If you would like us to fit our parts you are welcome to bring the computer in at any time between 9am-5pm Mon to Fri. Just give us some time with it at worst 1 day.
Old 03-09-14, 07:31 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

NO!, that is completely incorrect and I would not end up using this shop for this reason!

Low-ESR, high ripple rejection capacitors are mandatory! - this shop is not a Nippon Denso engineer, it is some goofballs! - our resident ECU engineer from Japan, Yamae-san, has talked about this at length in this thread - he has over 100 patents and is pretty famous in the electrical engineering world, please listen to him!

and I say your shop does not have ANY of the precise capacitors I listed in stock, they are not even available in Australia! - they are just barely available outside of Japan!
Old 03-09-14, 07:57 PM
petebrown
Driver School Candidate

Hi - thx for the quick reply.

I've now ordered the exact capacitors you have advised - should be here within 4-5 days.

I'm happy to use the shop - i've found them to be very straightforward and honest in my dealings with them and i'm confident in their ability to replace the capacitors.

I'll post back to the forum once i have the capacitors replaced and let you know if it's fixed my problems.

For the record they are:

- Dash flickers off for 30 mins after about 5 mins of driving and then comes back on for the duration of the trip - been like this for about 12 mths now.

- Just last week the car started playing up when i try and accelerate quickly - it just misses and sort of "shunts" - if i very progressively step on the accelerator it reaches 100kmh and cruises.

I'm also going to check the codes as described here - http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html - as i have had the central air-conditioning vents producing no air for the last 6 years.

thx
Pete
Old 03-09-14, 08:40 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

well I am thinking you may have multiple issues, not just ECU capacitors

the dash flickering is likely the capacitors in your instrument cluster circuit board

the A/C vents are likely a different problem, as the ECU primarily only controls the compressor itself, the no air could be a blend door, a cable, a vacuum leak or the control board or even the blower motor - does the car blow heat or even room temperature air?

if the air is just not COLD, then *that* can be ECU caps

this "miss" or "shunt" could definitely be ECU caps, especially if the car is in the 92-97 range, as that is where the epidemic is! - although other years of Lexus and Toyota also have caps go out in the ECU, just not as commonly as 92-97
Old 03-09-14, 09:29 PM
petebrown
Driver School Candidate

AC blows beautiful cold air through the side vents - works well enough to cool the interior no problem on a hot day (that's why i've never worried about it) - just doesn't work through the front centre vents nor the rear vents. Will the codes i'm going to check as per - http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/intro/codereading.html - help locate the problem ?

As for the dash - it doesn't actually flicker as such, when it's on it's fine - it just goes off for 30 mins and then comes back on (but perhaps that's what you meant anyway).

Is there info available on the capacitors required for the instrument cluster circuit board - i might do that after this if the dash problem still exists.

BTW ... thx for all your information - it's a wonderful thing you do.

cheers

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)