LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-13, 12:41 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sayow
Well that sounds LESS painful, I will start researching. You ever move to Missouri Cowboy and I will keep you busy
If I move to Missouri, I'll be hangin' out over at Carl Edward's house! - go #99!
Old 11-26-13, 06:50 PM
Dave2spd
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecm

I just purchased a 93 SC300, the cruise went inop then the overdrive, I believe the ECM is to blame is there a vender on the forum that will use the good parts to repair as I never soldered that good!

Dave
Old 11-26-13, 06:59 PM
zemtem
Driver School Candidate

Hi all, is there someone on here that offers this as a service? My soldering skills are not the best, I was looking at sending the ecu off to be refurbished but if they are using fake or the wrong caps then it won't last much more than a year!
Thanks
Old 11-26-13, 08:43 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

well I can tell you that after seeing dozens of these purchased from every different vendor on ebay, craigslist, driftmotion and every other place I can find that is rebuilding them, no rebuilder is using the correct special rare capacitors this requires, nor are they using low-ESR soldering techniques. - This is why I teach people how to do this, you couldn't possibly do worse that the awful ECU work being done out there! - I am going to post pics of some of these hack jobs!
Old 11-28-13, 08:17 AM
zemtem
Driver School Candidate

Hi that would be good thanks
Old 11-29-13, 11:19 AM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

This may be a silly question. Just about every blue resistor on mine, the only way I can think to describe them is looking faded. Should I replace them, too? I'll post a picture later as a picture would show in detail what I'm having trouble describing.
Old 11-29-13, 12:46 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mikes7ke
This may be a silly question. Just about every blue resistor on mine, the only way I can think to describe them is looking faded. Should I replace them, too? I'll post a picture later as a picture would show in detail what I'm having trouble describing.
faded light blue color is fine, but any brownish (burnt) areas on the blue or a brown tint means they have to be replaced
Old 11-29-13, 02:03 PM
aomdedude1
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally finished my ECU today. It was Looooooong over due, but I was so busy with school and what not.

All I can say is that it works great! I was able do something today that I was not able to do the whole time I've owned the car: Break the rear wheels loose!!

I'm very happy so far!

Thank you all for your help!
Old 11-29-13, 04:52 PM
mikes7ke
Pole Position

Just got back from test driving after fixing. It feels much better. Smooth power delivery at low rpm. I can finally cruise in fifth gear at lower speeds now. Still have other problems I was hoping this would fix. At least some of the weird problems are gone.

I kind of wish I listened to your warning and didn't use this as my first circuit board soldering project. It was a little unnerving.
Old 11-30-13, 11:15 AM
aomdedude1
Driver

Originally Posted by aomdedude1
I finally finished my ECU today. It was Looooooong over due, but I was so busy with school and what not.

All I can say is that it works great! I was able do something today that I was not able to do the whole time I've owned the car: Break the rear wheels loose!!

I'm very happy so far!

Thank you all for your help!
As expected.... my success was short lived.

I wen for a thorough test drive today and guess what? .... my Code 25 CEL came back on and the car is still just as sluggish as before.

I think that changing my capacitors was still a solid idea at least for peace of mind, but my problem still exists.

I'm back to square one now.
Old 11-30-13, 11:56 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

code 25 is very solvable, you just need to go step-by-step using the troubleshooting steps here
Old 11-30-13, 02:37 PM
aomdedude1
Driver

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
code 25 is very solvable, you just need to go step-by-step using the troubleshooting steps here
I looked in the service manual before, but I don't think I ever saw this exact flow chart diagnostic page.

This should help me out a bit!
Old 12-03-13, 08:22 AM
sayow
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Been meaning to post this for a few days. When I was en route to take my 96 LS to the body shop my CEL came on. Unfortunately I have not been able to grab the code because I did not have my reader with me at the time and the car is getting painted at present.

However I have to ask, could a faulty ECU capacitor set off the CEL and if so is there a list of codes that are related to the ECU capacitors?

I also had just converted a few days ago from regular 87 to premium 93 AND added a bottle of Techron... wondering if that set off an O2 sensor or something?

I will get code when I get the car back, but the suspense is killing me... for the record, the CEL made no noticeable difference in the drive the remainder of the 25 miles to the body shop.
Old 12-03-13, 08:58 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

There are not specific codes related to ECU capacitors, but when the capacitors start to fail, the ECU goes a bit crazy, so it can generate erroneous codes, or often generate no codes at all, and even often refuse to even communicate with an OBD scanner whatsoever - Its ability to diagnose itself and the rest of the car is severely impaired or completely curtailed by the fact that its capacitors are no longer functioning properly. Every one of the caps are critically important, there are no spare or redundant capacitors!
Old 12-03-13, 10:13 AM
mcrane
Driver School Candidate

Default ECU Location

Are all ECU's located in the same area. In this youtube video the guy is removing what he is calling the ECU from under the hood.

I have a 1998 GS300, if I was to purchase a used ECU from ebay and replace the caps would I also have to do something so my keys would work??

Thanks

Quick Reply: All my crazy Lexus issues SOLVED!! (ECU-leaking capacitor)