LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Shooting the LS400 with satin black paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-13, 03:11 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Shooting the LS400 with satin black paint?

Does anybody have a satin black paint job on their LS400? If so was it a DIY job or did you have it done at a body shop? Any body/paint gurus out there who can shed some light on how to go about this properly so the finish comes out looking good and lasting in the elements?

Now I understand there is a lot of forgiveness with satin and flat paint...heck I have seen some rattle can jobs on others cars (typically American muscle/hot rods and the occasional import) come out very nice. No blochiness, uniform coverage, etc.

I was thinking of having a body shop shoot the car for me with a paint gun vs me attempting to do it myself....it will not come out good I can tell you that. I hear conflicting input from different shops, some say they use black paint and then add a flattening agent to the clear. Others say they use black epoxy paint and no clear. Some say they will use gloss black and a flat clear.

I would just like to know which is the right way to go about doing this. I posted my car above and while the paint looks good in the photo...its unfortunately seen better days. The doors aren't so bad but the hood/roof/trunk/bumpers are scratched to hell and back. Spots from where bird poop etched the paint, etc. I am very meticulous with my paint and this being my 3rd black car, it pains me to see her not looking her best.

Plus I always wanted a satin black finish and feel the LS400's masculine looks/big body sedan with angular shape will look beastly with a satin black paint. Such a mean/sinister/gangster look in my opinion.

I wont need my door jams/engine bay/trunk/etc. painted...just the exterior.

Last edited by Jeremiah87; 09-18-13 at 03:17 PM.
Old 09-18-13, 03:20 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

unless your paint is really bad, or unless the car has been painted before, you want to keep the factory paint job if at all possible

the reason is, Lexus's paint job on the LS series is of such quality, that it would cost $10,000-$20,000 to replicate, if anyone even could.
Old 09-18-13, 03:21 PM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

may i suggest one thing before trying to repaint? why not try to do some scratch removal and correction on the paint? lexus paints are very soft and easy to work with. surface or ghost scratches can easily be removed with a buffer and the right compound but if your clearcoat is compromised then go for the repaint.

as with applying paint, there are many many techniques that body shops use. of course the rattle can i would not recommend doing, and stay away from the plasti-dip stuff even if it was applied by a paint gun. what is your budget? it is all determined by that.
Old 09-18-13, 03:33 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
unless your paint is really bad, or unless the car has been painted before, you want to keep the factory paint job if at all possible

the reason is, Lexus's paint job on the LS series is of such quality, that it would cost $10,000-$20,000 to replicate, if anyone even could.
Originally Posted by timmy0tool
may i suggest one thing before trying to repaint? why not try to do some scratch removal and correction on the paint? lexus paints are very soft and easy to work with. surface or ghost scratches can easily be removed with a buffer and the right compound but if your clearcoat is compromised then go for the repaint.

as with applying paint, there are many many techniques that body shops use. of course the rattle can i would not recommend doing, and stay away from the plasti-dip stuff even if it was applied by a paint gun. what is your budget? it is all determined by that.
Nothing comes close to a factory painted finish, doesnt it get powdercoated and baked or the shell is dipped or something of that nature?

I washed the car (2 bucket method with grit guard) and foam gun, used a MF sponge and went to town gently. Then clayed barred using the mothers brand yellow bar (not crazy agressive) and used the soap method. Then re-washed to remove clay residue. I then polished the paint with Klasse AIO and the while I brought back a decent mirror finish....the scratches are still there. Its very heavy on the roof, trunk, and hood. Its like someone used a scotch bright pad or a dishwashing sponge (the green rough side) to scrub the paint.

I know here in Norcal a decent paint job runs around 4K+. Although I did have my Miata resprayed for $2500 and it came out decently enough for me...and I am very critical but for $2500...I was content and happy with the results.

I would say my budget is $5K (dont want to spend more than that)

I know some really good show car paint jobs are around $10-20K but that is way to much for me...heck its like 3x the value of the car lol but regardless good paint jobs are $$$.

P.S. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable with detailing but I dont know how/never used a buffer. Maybe I should go to some body shops/detail shops and inquire if my paint can be saved? My trunk looks swirled/scratched as heck but it might buff out as you mentioned with a buffer and appropriate compound.
Old 09-18-13, 05:23 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's my 1st gen.... Painted with a single stage paint, not primer. Had a guy paint it for $200 including supplies/paint.
Attached Thumbnails Shooting the LS400 with satin black paint?-flat.jpg   Shooting the LS400 with satin black paint?-flat1.jpg  
Old 09-18-13, 06:11 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Thanks for the photo/input usoff89, I dig the rawness of how the car looks for lack of a better description. I could be okay with a paint finish like that its durable enough to wisthand the duties of daily driving ie rocks attacking front bumper/hood on highway, door ding offenders in the parking lot, etc.

I called the shop who painted my Miata for $2500 and they quoted me for satin black starting at $1800 but he wants to see the car before making his price final.

BTW is that you/your Lexus I saw on youtube doing a mad burnout? If so that was cool to watch.

And if you don't mind me asking:

1. What size are your wheels/tires?

2. What type of muffer/exhaust set up do you have?

Just curious, thanks.
Old 09-18-13, 06:48 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Yes that was my car. lol. Just having some fun with the boys.

Wheels - motegi touge's 18x9F and 18x10R

Exhaust - all custom with no cats, x-pype, bullet race mufflers, and Pypes brand tips
Old 09-18-13, 07:02 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

usoff89 - the primer coat looks fine, now it's time to PAINT YOUR CAR!
Old 09-18-13, 07:07 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jeremiah87
P.S. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable with detailing but I dont know how/never used a buffer.
this buffer will make you into a pro, and it is the one the pros use!
Old 09-18-13, 07:46 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks Cowboy! It is technically a paint not a primer. Not sure how to describe it as I'm not an expert. It's a paint without the gloss in it..... I think.

I kind of like it, very easy to take care of and I can have it re-sprayed for next to nothing if I get so many chips or scratches in it.
Old 09-18-13, 08:34 PM
Jeremiah87
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by usoff89
Yes that was my car. lol. Just having some fun with the boys.

Wheels - motegi touge's 18x9F and 18x10R

Exhaust - all custom with no cats, x-pype, bullet race mufflers, and Pypes brand tips
Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
this buffer will make you into a pro, and it is the one the pros use!
lol nice, excuse the noob question but how exactly did you do that burnout? Can that be done with a stock LS400 or are there some modifications needed to enable one to do that. I don't plan on doing so but I was intrigued. I also seen some videos on youtube of LS400s drifting around the parking lot.....thats bananas seeing a big body automatic sedan doing that.

I might consider those bullet mufflers...I just had my 2 mufflers/3 resonators deleted the other day and while my car has that V8 American muscle/thunder/flowmaster esque exhaust note, the drone in the cabin at low to mid RPMs is starting to make my ears ache. I can play with the throttle by feathering it to stay out of the drone zone but I figure if I just run 2 straight through mufflers out the back I can get my exhaust not without it being overbearing.

The look on peoples faces when it go WOT is priceless...bet they never expected to hear such a sound from the LS.

Thanks for the link cowboy, will check it out.
Old 09-19-13, 12:27 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

please search. We have an extensive exhaust thread, and a few good suspension set-up threads.

a stock height "satin/flat" painted car is just going to look silly.
Old 09-19-13, 01:06 AM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
a stock height "satin/flat" painted car is just going to look silly.
if you took the "silly" looking cars off of Club Lexus, we would lose 2/3 of the members!

for example, any car with its tire's tread not flat on the ground!
Old 09-19-13, 11:51 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

The satin-flat paint is becoming less and less. There are still cars with it and the ones I see are wraps. There is a guy in the lot who did his CTS about 3 years ago, back then it was kind cool but now, he's been complaining that he should have not done it and left the (then) clean factory paint.

IMO, if you are going to shoot the car, give it a factory clean paint. If you ever want to sell it, the buyers will be more accepting then a satin finish.
Old 09-19-13, 01:32 PM
usoff89
Lexus Test Driver

I was on an extreme budget and needed some paint on the car after some body work was done. I couldn't complain for $200. But I see so many other cars with the same paint, it makes me sick! lol

About the exhaust, the bullet race mufflers will still have a drone. Mine has a pretty loud drone at certain RPM's, but it doesn't bother me...... yet.

Cowboy - I always crack up when I read your posts like that one.... Sounds like my grandpa talking about my car. lmao

Oh, and the burn out. It's pretty easy. Gas and brake, and let off on the brake until it spins. I wont own a car that wont do a burnout.

Quick Reply: Shooting the LS400 with satin black paint?