LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

No Power!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 05:16 PM
LScowboyLS
Lexus Champion

Received 81 Likes on 39 Posts

come on cowboy...bad caps are not the end all be all fix
maybe not, but it is ending up being a problem on so many LS400's lately, as they get older, pretty much all of them

Yamae and I have found the breakthrough that is gonna get rid of most of the weird head-scratcher LS400 problems - everything from no power, intermittent electrical issues, rough running, transmission not shifting, speedo/tach issues, A/C compressor not engaging, air bag light coming on and others!
Old 09-29-12, 10:30 AM
mfb496
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LScowboyLS
maybe not, but it is ending up being a problem on so many LS400's lately, as they get older, pretty much all of them

Yamae and I have found the breakthrough that is gonna get rid of most of the weird head-scratcher LS400 problems - everything from no power, intermittent electrical issues, rough running, transmission not shifting, speedo/tach issues, A/C compressor not engaging, air bag light coming on and others!
Having a issue with dash lighting normal but after 45 min it flickers and turns off.Needles still function(except fuel gauge)but with no light emitting .I drove the car 140 miles yesterday and she's fine on highway but after getting home and stomping on it got a bog.CATS?????
Old 10-05-12, 07:14 PM
Dtwillis5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about running on 4 cylinders?
Old 10-05-12, 08:42 PM
Shmee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OP,
glad you got it fixed.
for the sake of your fuel pump, and the rest of your fuel system for that matter, id still pull off the fuel filter and check that is not plugged or partially blocked. i have seen a lot of pumps taken out from a plugged filter. they are $10 and like 30mins to replace. i change mine and on all my cars and suggest it to all my customers every 10k. it only takes one tank of bad gas to plug a filter but one plugged filter can cost you an engine(if you are boosted). older cars can also have a large amount of sediment build up in the tank from low quality fuels and crappy additives

to check a fuel filter, simply remove it and blow through it in the direction of flow. if you go purple in the face and start looking like this:

your filter is plugged and you need to replace it!
with a good filter, you should be able to blow through it very easily. a partially plugged filter you will feel a fair amount of restriction. if you have a new fuel filter, blow through that first and compare to what came out of your car.
Like i said, i replace mine and my regular customers methodically and i never have problems with fuel pumps on cars that i follow this method with.

Originally Posted by python

come on cowboy...bad caps are not the end all be all fix
i was going to say the same thing....
Old 10-06-12, 04:05 AM
mfb496
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shmee
OP,
glad you got it fixed.
for the sake of your fuel pump, and the rest of your fuel system for that matter, id still pull off the fuel filter and check that is not plugged or partially blocked. i have seen a lot of pumps taken out from a plugged filter. they are $10 and like 30mins to replace. i change mine and on all my cars and suggest it to all my customers every 10k. it only takes one tank of bad gas to plug a filter but one plugged filter can cost you an engine(if you are boosted). older cars can also have a large amount of sediment build up in the tank from low quality fuels and crappy additives

to check a fuel filter, simply remove it and blow through it in the direction of flow. if you go purple in the face and start looking like this:

your filter is plugged and you need to replace it!
with a good filter, you should be able to blow through it very easily. a partially plugged filter you will feel a fair amount of restriction. if you have a new fuel filter, blow through that first and compare to what came out of your car.
Like i said, i replace mine and my regular customers methodically and i never have problems with fuel pumps on cars that i follow this method with.

i was going to say the same thing....
Filter was first thing changed!A guy at Midas that does work for me from time to time says cats could be damaged from raw fuel that was entering them.I'll find out the end of this month.Thanks fellas!