LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Radio Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-12, 07:46 PM
nfernandez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Antenna

I very recently purchased a used 97 LS400 with a few very minor issues all of which I have been able to sort out in under an hour in my driveway with little more than a can of wd-40 and a wrench, with one notable exception the automatic aerial would stick half way up upon starting the car and wouldn't go down after turning the engine off unless i tapped the top of it while the electric motor in the antenna was still spinning, well today it completely gave up, the motor is no longer audible and its stuck at half mast leaving a small part of the hole the antenna comes out of open and susceptible to rain. Anybody know how I can resurrect it cheap and quickly?
Old 09-08-12, 09:28 PM
SpencerT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amazon or auction sites have cheap replacements.

But I just cut the internals out when mine failed so that I could get the antenea to lower.
Then unpluged the moters. I still get decent reception and all but one of my presets works perfect.
You still get enough reception with the antenea down for almost all stations to work.
Old 09-09-12, 06:50 AM
Lexinky
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpencerT
amazon or auction sites have cheap replacements.

But I just cut the internals out when mine failed so that I could get the antenea to lower.
Then unpluged the moters. I still get decent reception and all but one of my presets works perfect.
You still get enough reception with the antenea down for almost all stations to work.
x2 , iI left mine in the up position and unpluged the motor.
It sounds like you need a replacement mast, and perhaps the nylon geared strand on yours may be broke as well. If so it will have to be dis assembled and removed before a new mast is installed. Maybe take the old one out and see if the nylon piece has broke first and go from there.

On mine there is problems with the motor and gears binding that causes it to lock up ( stop running). I had the hole thing apart motor and all an messed with itfor a while then said the heck with it and left it in the up position.

I know I can't take it through a car wash that way , which is ok because I will just hand wash it.