LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Lexus Stealership

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-12, 10:33 AM
waterdog3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Stealership

I wanted to have the tranny pan dropped and the screen replaced or cleaned in my 97 LS400. The dealer said that's not recommended and that they only flush or replace transmissions in Lexus's. I explained again what I wanted done and he checked with the shop manager. He came back and said they could do that. So, I drive there and when I met with the service guy he said it will be around $640.00. I left. I went to toyota dealer next door. Bought 4 quarts of type 4 tranny fluid and will borrow some jack stands. They didn't have the screen so I'm just going to clean the one that's in there if needed.
Old 09-07-12, 10:39 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Are you having tranny issues? Was the previous fluid burned? If not, dropping the pan for preventative servicing wouldn't be necessary.
Old 09-07-12, 11:25 AM
waterdog3
Rookie

Car has 198,000 miles. Having an issue above 65 mph. Car is jerking. I thinking maybe trans related. Only happens to my daughter. I drove car 40 plus miles today and no issues. I think it's related to her driving faster and never letting the torque converter lock up cause she always fluctuating speeds? The issue is hard to describe since it's only happened to me once on the freeway. My daughter says it happens to her all the way to school. It's like hitting the speed limiter. Like the drive train binding for a split second. No cel lights. Car runs great otherwise. Tranny does not slip. Maybe the diff but I just put new Mobil one gear lube in and it happend to me before that. Long ago. I have not been able to replicate the issue. May have to ride with my daughter
Old 09-07-12, 11:35 AM
waterdog3
Rookie

I should add. If you floor it. It runs through the gears fine. Thinking back is was varying my speed on the interstate. I believe it's happening when it's shifting to a higher gear or hunting, or when the torque converter is trying to lock up
Old 09-07-12, 12:38 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

We had a thread about the tranny hunting when maintaining speeds between the shift points. Your daughter has to drive faster or slower. I suspect she is between the shift points and the car is fine. Your call on riding with her.
Old 09-07-12, 01:12 PM
denverdog
Pole Position

if you have a p[roblem with a dealer, or a great experience, it helps others in that area to know the name of the dealership.
Old 09-07-12, 01:12 PM
waterdog3
Rookie

We just went for about a 15 mile ride with her driving. Nothing. She says it's like a slam! Then shaking. She says it's like Ba-Bam back then forward then shakes until letting off the gas. Going to go ahead and drop pan, clean filter, then drive and drain out 2 more quarts. That will replace 4 quarts, about half I think? I don't think I have anything to lose? Already bought the fluid. I will look through the gear hunting thread. Is there a pan gasket or just riv. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-07-12, 01:13 PM
waterdog3
Rookie

Originally Posted by denverdog
if you have a p[roblem with a dealer, or a great experience, it helps others in that area to know the name of the dealership.
I do think $640 is a little much for a pan drop and a few quarts of fluid?
Old 09-07-12, 01:18 PM
Push
Pole Position

lol I think its a way of telling you to go away... lol why don't you drive it around 65 mph and try to have the problem reoccur for you.. Or better yet go for a drive with your daughter and have her show you the problem...
Old 09-07-12, 01:25 PM
Jspec603
Rookie

Suggestion if you have a little time. Rockauto.com has tranny screens and gasket kits for under $20. It's not OEM Toyota, but it would be brand new.

I plan to do the same as my 95 is sometimes slow going into gears from park to drive and drive to park. I'm sure the fluid in mine has not been changed in years. Simply dropping the 2 quarts and refilling, as others have stated, may help. But for a $20 Beck/Arnley part, you can't go wrong.

Also a question for the others on the board. I've had great luck with Amsoil synthetic ATF. It claims it's a recommended replacement for Toyota Type IV. Has anyone on here tried this fluid in their car? Pro's and Con's? In the past, it has dramatically improved with slow/hard shifts in other vehicles I've used it on. The only downside is the fact that one would be mixing fluid if only preforming a drain and fill.
Old 09-07-12, 02:46 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

if it's bucking at part throttle at a certain speed sounds like it could be an AFM/TPS issue more than a transmission issue... do you have problems at any other speeds?
Old 09-07-12, 03:13 PM
RA010623
Pit Crew

dealer ship labor rate are about $90+ / hr
Old 09-07-12, 03:27 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

more than that here iirc.
Old 09-08-12, 06:12 AM
waterdog3
Rookie

Originally Posted by 87Cressida
lol I think its a way of telling you to go away... lol why don't you drive it around 65 mph and try to have the problem reoccur for you.. Or better yet go for a drive with your daughter and have her show you the problem...
Already rode with her and wouldn't do it. I'm beting the tranny fluid is at least 100,000 mile old, likely older. I did notice this morning when to car was cold that it was slow shifting into the higher gear once I stopped accelerating having reached cruising altitude. I will order the gasket and screen from rock auto and change next weekend. Thanks
Old 09-08-12, 07:11 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by waterdog3
Already rode with her and wouldn't do it. I'm beting the tranny fluid is at least 100,000 mile old, likely older. I did notice this morning when to car was cold that it was slow shifting into the higher gear once I stopped accelerating having reached cruising altitude. I will order the gasket and screen from rock auto and change next weekend. Thanks
I honestly think you are not going to help anything by doing the tranny screen. It would only get clogged if the fluid is totally burnt and you have sludge in there. I would just do the drain and refill slowly and check your TPS sensor as Pure suggested.

Quick Reply: Lexus Stealership