LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Another Ignition tumbler thread...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 12:24 AM
takeshi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Ignition tumbler thread...

Hey all, I've been lurking this site for a few months now since I've bought my 91 LS400 in March.

After driving home from work today, I found myself not being able to pull my key out after shutting off the engine.
And now the car wouldn't even start, only with jump. So I jumped it and pulled it around to the backyard.

I've read several threads and came up with a few things,
1. Check the "tab" underneath the shifter,
2. Ignition might be shot.

Another question, I don't know if its pertinent to the key problem, is that, when the key is in "on" position, you're not supposed to be able to change gears without your foot on the break pedal right?? Just like when you "normally" start moving the car in gear?

But now, I can shift from Park to where ever without pressing on the break pedal.

I'm going to attempt to open up the shifter console first and see if the "tab" there is broken or not.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-is-stuck.html

Then if the "tab" isn't broken, am I right to suspect that the ignition tumbler is shot?
It looks like I never had the steering wheel lock to begin with. Even when I didn't have this problem, I was able to turn my steering wheel after the key was pulled out.

So confused now!

And much much thanks in advance!!
Old 09-02-12, 12:13 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cannot remove the key unless the transmission is in park, there is a mechanical link between the brake pedal and the shifter. If you press the brake pedal you should be able to hear a dull click from the selector area.
If the car won't started without a jump I would say your battery is shot.
Old 09-02-12, 01:25 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by steve2006
You cannot remove the key unless the transmission is in park, there is an electrical link between the brake pedal and the shifter. If you press the brake pedal you should be able to hear a dull click from the selector area.
If the car won't started without a jump I would say your battery is shot.
fixed that for you. Brake pedal sensor triggers both brake lights and shift lock release solenoid. solenoid may go bad possibly.
Old 09-02-12, 05:34 PM
takeshi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BAHAHAHA!! I just found why!! There was a metal ring stuck between the shifter **** and the top part of the shifter square. i just couldn't see it in the dark.

The shifter wasn't all the way up in Park. Only half way!!

Much much thanks again guys!!