LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Mines ECU for a UCF20/21?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-12, 03:19 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Mines ECU for a UCF20/21?

I will be the first to admit I am still confused on some of these codes. My year is a UCF20/21. I believe I have a 20 without air... I started reading about the benefits and how much praise owners of a Mines ECU have.

Looking at their website I am confused. From what I can gather it is showing availability for the older Celsiors and the LS430's? It is only showing UCF10/11/30/31 What happened to 20 and 21?
Old 08-29-12, 03:44 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

either they don't offer it anymore or they made a mistake in the listing. but iirc they don't have them for trade-in (doesnt matter since they wouldnt accept a USDM ecu anyways), and you lose immobilizer functions.

honestly, i've considered both it and the Blitz roms, and it really isn't worth it when you get an Apex'i SAFC Neo and boomlang harness to make it plug and play, then have it tuned. All that for WAYYY less than the ECU mod.

the Mine's VX-Rom goes for ~$2250 + shipping and customs, plus more if you need to send them a USDM ecu to work on if they don't think a JDM one will work. that's enough money to buy a full standalone and get it tuned... or (preferably) enough to buy an SAFC Neo, boomslang, have it installed and tuned, buy headers, have an exhaust made, and do your timing belt....
Old 08-29-12, 03:54 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

OK PD, Now we are talking. Well, some of it is new terminology for me. I had an SCT programmer for my old Mustang GT that came with my package of headers, catback, and intake. Life was simple back then...

So, you are saying that a tuning shop can build the custom tune with this Apex'i SAFC Neo and harness for much less right? But the Mines ROM increaes redline to 7250 and changes shift points / firmness. Can the Apex'i do this as well or is it just air/fuel?

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-29-12 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-29-12, 04:25 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Hmm should of looked at the Japanese version. It does say it is not produced anymore. I have their U.S. dealer looking into it just to see what they have to say. I will let you know. I just really like the other mods that come with the Mines ECU over the APEXi.
Old 08-29-12, 04:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

it can't firm the shifts but it can change the points, but once the ECU is trained it shifts perfectly fine in power mode, holding up to the redline without issue.

the SAFC is a relatively straightforward air/fuel ratio controller, combined with a wideband O2 sensor and a skilled tuner you should see some pretty good gains (check the GS400 forum as several members have cataloged their journeys with and without headers).

If you want a firmer shift you can up the line pressure pretty easily, drop the trans pan and follow this tutorial. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ting-dial.html

I did the adjustment a couple months ago and the difference in shift firmness is noticeable, with a lot less slipping (and consequently, less heat in the fluid) making the shifts feel cleaner as well.
Old 08-29-12, 05:33 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Great free mod. I will do this as well. So, the Mines rep got back with me. He said that they are no longer able to get the parts needed to do both the UCF/20 and UCF/30. Wonder if they were made by the same manufacturer that made parts for Nakamichi. Anyway, it looks like APEXi is the way to go. Can you talk a little more about the Blitz rom. I tried to search for that but did not come up with anything.

Also, I noticed you modified your intake. Did you cut open the airbox? Can you comment on your intake modification? And one last question. I read in a thread that mentioned that the ECU, over time, will try to counter what the piggyback system is doing. Any truth to this?

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 08-29-12 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-17-13, 04:07 AM
simondsw
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an Apexi FCU on my Nissan Skyline GTS-T RB20T and the ECU did not try to counter the piggyback system. You should not have any problems with a piggyback and as PD said it is so much simpler and cost effective. You are basically just tuning the car to the fuel/air mixture you want. Once you go Turbo you can adjust your boost as well. I went from a stock .07 bars to 1.2 which is about a 5 psi boost to about 12 psi of boost. The car was a blast to drive and I was sad when I had to sell her due to moving back to the U.S. in 2004. Now I am back in Japan and I plan on going to Upgarage to talk to them about a piggyback system for my car until I can get the Adaptronics system that was recommended to me by Neil in Australia.

But, first I need to work on the exterior and get the parts I want. Best of luck in your tuning.
Old 01-17-13, 08:34 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by simondsw
I had an Apexi FCU on my Nissan Skyline GTS-T RB20T and the ECU did not try to counter the piggyback system. You should not have any problems with a piggyback and as PD said it is so much simpler and cost effective. You are basically just tuning the car to the fuel/air mixture you want. Once you go Turbo you can adjust your boost as well. I went from a stock .07 bars to 1.2 which is about a 5 psi boost to about 12 psi of boost. The car was a blast to drive and I was sad when I had to sell her due to moving back to the U.S. in 2004. Now I am back in Japan and I plan on going to Upgarage to talk to them about a piggyback system for my car until I can get the Adaptronics system that was recommended to me by Neil in Australia.

But, first I need to work on the exterior and get the parts I want. Best of luck in your tuning.
Keep us updated on what your doing to your LS400. I will probably invest in headers before I do a piggyback.