LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

New guy from UK, confused about some terminology

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-12, 03:47 AM
munday
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy from UK, confused about some terminology

Hey guys,

Bought a '99 LS last week and already completed a full SMD LED interior light conversion (thanks to your FAQs)

I have a question about wheel fitment and some of the terms you guys over in the US use. You often refer to pulling the fenders, I assume this is what I would call rolling? Where a device is attached to the hub and rolls the lip back while 'pulling' the arch out slightly?

Also 'shaving' the fenders? What does this refer to?

Basically, I'm looking to go for some 19" LM reps and would like flush fitment without much work.

I've been through page after page of your wheel thread and have a rough idea of what I can get away with.

I'm thinking 19x9.5 et12 up front and 19x10.5 et22 for the rear.

My questions:

Will 245/35 and 285/35 tyres work for this setup? Its a Daily drive. I'm only thinking of these sizes to ease any fitment/clearance issues. Willing to go wider as I want a normal tyre shop to be able to fit them.

Will I need fender work to get these sizes to fit? (will be on BC coilovers, not looking to tuck as its a daily)

Does anyone have suggestions for better fitment that won't require fender mods? E.G, run et22 up front, or 9.5J rear with et22 or et12?

I know the answers are probably around, and I have searched. But there seems to be differing opinions.

Thanks for any help guys
Old 08-28-12, 06:30 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

to clear up a couple things:
rolling=to flatten the inner lip, without altering the original dimensions of the panel at all/minimal.
rolling+pulling=to flatten the inner lip and to pull the fender lip outwards an X amount (usually not much as it distorts the panel and too much will muck up the paint, requiring a respray.)
Shaving= The process of using a grinder/cut off to physically cut the inner fender lip off. this should NOT be used on the entire front fender on the LS as there are several welds which hold the fender together, but it can be used to trim the liner tabs before rolling, and is relatively successful for the rear fenders (without rolling/pulling).

your fitment is off, if you set it up the way you say you will have a very aggressive front end and a relatively weak rear.

this is member Schnitz's car, an older setup iirc.

in this case you have a 9.5 +18 front and 10.5 +14 rear (more info here), so you can understand when I say that having a more aggressive front and less aggressive rear would throw the look off.

if you want a mostly flush stance without going overly extreme a 9.5 +22 or so, 10.5 +20-25 will probably look better. front will need a roll+pull, rear just a roll or shave.
Old 08-28-12, 09:02 AM
munday
Driver School Candidate

Thats a great help thank you bud

Maybe I'll go for 9.5 et22 and 10.5 et22. I don't really want spacers but will bite the bullet if the setup looks off.

Next on the list is to try and tackle your very good guide on hooking up an ipod through the stock system. Need to find the amp first, must be in a different place in mine with pioneer and nav, couldn't see it under the passenger seat air vent!

Thanks again
Old 08-28-12, 11:50 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by munday
Thats a great help thank you bud

Maybe I'll go for 9.5 et22 and 10.5 et22. I don't really want spacers but will bite the bullet if the setup looks off.

Next on the list is to try and tackle your very good guide on hooking up an ipod through the stock system. Need to find the amp first, must be in a different place in mine with pioneer and nav, couldn't see it under the passenger seat air vent!

Thanks again
put the seat all the way forward and take the vent off. should be there, unless it's somehow different for RHD cars. check under your driver's seat perhaps?
Old 08-29-12, 08:14 AM
munday
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
put the seat all the way forward and take the vent off. should be there, unless it's somehow different for RHD cars. check under your driver's seat perhaps?
Of course, just managed to check after work and it is indeed under the drivers seat. Thanks for your help, I'll try to be an active member and be one of the few in the UK willing to modify a LS
Old 08-29-12, 11:06 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

glad you found it, makes sense that Lexus wouldn't mirror the wiring unless it was necessary since they could keep RHD/LHD cars on the same line until later in the process.