LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Just bought 1998 LS400 w/nav@122K ! Love it!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 11:20 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 1998 LS400 w/nav@122K - I have questions

Just picked her up today! I am so very excited! If you all remember I had a 1991 LS400 that was totalled last year and then bought an 02 ES300 I hated so I sold it to find another LS

Car details:
1998 LS 400 2 owner
Pearl white exterior with tan interior with woodgrain steering wheel and shifter
Stock Nav system ( I hate it but t's what the car came with )
Xenon auto leveling HID headlights
regular suspension
122,000 miles
80% tread left on good tires
$8700
Everything electrical and mechanical works and the seats are in 10/10 condition as well as the exterior paint. all wonderful. No CEL or suspension bumps or noises.

First orders of business TO DO:

-Timing belt/water pump need to be changed ASAP at 122 they have not been confirmed to have been done by the dealer.

-Needs all new fluids to start clean - power steering/oil/transmission fluids will get changed

-Ipod aux in Mod by puredrifter

-Clean and condition entire interior of car. get that leather smell back and get anything gross out

-Needs a new cabin air blower Motor. when you turn it on anything higher than low it vibrates badly like something is broken or sucked in. A/C is cold though!

New cabin air filter assembly. the plastic tray you put the filter into is missing along with the filter

-Needs new engine air filter

-Needs passenger headlight majorly cleaned up/cleared as it is foggy from the outside.

-Have Viper remote start system installed. This car came with NO wireless keys! Just a regular key. I'll make two copies of the key and have two remotes and have best buy install the $200 viper wireless key system.

-New hood shocks. Mine are both dead.

Now for questions. AT this mileage 122K besides the water pump/timing belt, what should I be looking at doing next to keep up maintenance wise?

At speeds above 40MPH it looks like the hood nearest the windshield bounces in the middle. My hood shocks are both dead but it's strange as the latch is shut and it only flexes and bounces the middle of the hood nearest the windshield. what could this be? How can i fix it?

The dealer I bought it from replaced the alternator. This makes me worry the power steering power was leaking on it but my PS pump makes no noise or drips. When I have the car parked and the engine n and turn the steering wheel I hear a slight whirr noise for 10 seconds or so after I let go of the wheel. what could this be? It's Not loud at all. it's not the drop in RPMS I am hearing either

Last edited by Patsum; 07-24-12 at 02:01 AM.
Old 07-24-12, 02:21 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

congrats on the pickup. If you really hate the OEM nav, just keep your eyes open for a '98-00 non-nav climate control and OEM Pioneer (non-nav and non-nak) headunit, both will bolt and plug in to replace the nav.

don't forget to replace the diff fluid, and check the strut rods. the hood can be caused by missing a seal at the rear of the hood that seals the cowl to the hood, and/or by misadjusted rubber stops on all 4 corners of the hood.

I'd just find some OEM remotes >.>
Old 07-24-12, 02:33 AM
Patsum
Pole Position

I was looking on ebay at remotes for the LS
I see some for $40 each. I could just buy two and call it a day after trying to program them. I haven't decided if being able to remote start is worth the extra $$$ yet

I'll deal with the current NAV system but will keep my eyes pealed in the future for a non nav pioneer system. I want to see if I can wrangle it to do what I want well enough first

I'll check out the hood tomorrow, it's really strange to say the least. never had this kind of issue before.

So differential fluid. oil change, PS fluid, trans fluid. all swap those out. probably end up costing near $200 for that alone...

Now about the fan for the cabin. I see on the UCF10 that the blower motor part comes with the little squirrel cage.. the 1998 part when you search for blower motor does NOT come with the cage. I fear my cage may have sucked something up and is broken. There was no cabin air filter so it's easy that it did suck something up.

The shop told me $300 for the blower motor and labor. I'm not even sure if I need a new blower motor or just the cage or just someone to take out whatever is sucked in... Help?
Old 07-24-12, 05:56 AM
akitomk3
Lead Lap

Congrats!!!! You seem very excited.

Pics or we'll think you're lying
Old 07-24-12, 06:50 AM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice pick-up bro. I have a 1st gen as well and would love to upgrade to a 98+. My LS is still good to me never the less.

Let's see some pictures of this gem you got there.
Old 07-24-12, 03:19 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The used car price inflates a lot these days.
Old 07-24-12, 03:35 PM
/209JOHN\
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any pics??????????????????
Old 07-24-12, 04:04 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Congrats! Welcome to the club. I think you payed a bit much but nonetheless it sounds like it is in good shape. If you purchase the parts yourself for the timing belt, pulleys, water pump, and find a knowledgeable mechanic you should be able to get that done for around $1,200.00 Do the full tune up as well. Plugs, ETC sensor, clean MAF and throttle body, etc...

Share some pics if you can.
Old 07-24-12, 09:13 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

Hey all! Thanks for the replies. I have Two problems right now that I could use help on.

The first is a swishing noise coming from under the car not in the engine bay but when I look under the car where the drivers seat is I hear the noise.. I can hear it inside the car as well.
that sound is not a camera/youtube fault but rather the car making a swishing noise that gets louder and softer with no set pattern. Activation of any electronics or a/c use does not alter this sound at all.

Here is a youtube video of the noise. what the heck is that? How do I fix it? My 1991 ls never made that noise
-------------------------------

Next issue:
When I turn on the a/c or the headlights or turn the steering wheel. The car will sound like it is bogging down and I can hear it inside. My 1991 LS never did this and it makes me wonder whether a belt or pulley is going bad or something is sticking or starting to fail.

The a/c comp being on does it. Turning headlights on does it. When I turn the steering wheel while stationary. as soon as I let go of the wheel after moving the wheels it bogs down.
What could this be?
Old 07-24-12, 10:38 PM
dashan
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The first maybe related to a leak exhaust.
The second one is related to a bad battery connection, a bad battery, or a bad alternator.
Old 07-24-12, 10:44 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

I'll see if I can't get my local shop to lift her up to check this possible leak.

For the second one.. I have a spare good battery I can pop in. I'll clean the terminals on both ends well.

Why would a bad alt effect the a/c compressor coming on and the power steering for this dip in rpms and noise? I thought those were both mechanically driven on the belt?
Old 07-24-12, 10:52 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

2nd problem sounds more like a dirty throttle body than anything else, the idle ports get clogged with carbon.
Old 07-24-12, 10:52 PM
NTRUDA
Rookie

Congrats on the pick of your new LS...You may want to check all of the bushings to see if they are in good shape or in need of replacing. I would also convert over to steel brake lines as well since they will last way longer than the rubber ones. As far as your fluids I would change it to synthetic-I have used AMSOIL for years and it hasn't given my any issues at all. I would still use toyota coolant and nothing else and if you are going to upgrade/replace your pads/rotors I use EBC Red for pads and I also have their rotors as well. Other than the regular stuff, you should be good to go. Again congrats on your new purchase....
Old 07-24-12, 11:01 PM
Patsum
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
2nd problem sounds more like a dirty throttle body than anything else, the idle ports get clogged with carbon.
I have an alternator to test and possible throttle body to clean. sounds like a busy day for a fix. Any other idea what it could be? The sound comes from near the center stack console and back of the engine area...
Old 08-23-12, 09:11 PM
jumerle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1995 was totaled by my insurance company after a young woman texting while driving crashed into it, but fortunately for me I had just gotten out of the car. To make matters worst, the woman did not have a valid insurance policy. So I bought a '98 in superb condition for $8,750. With 91,000 miles. I changed timing belt, water pump, brake rotors and pads, and all fluids. This added another $1,500 to my loss. Then I bought some new rims from OE wheels, and tires some Falken tires from Delticom - that's another $900.00 online purchase. However, I do not like the rims - they are chrome rims and too shiny for my taste, so I want to sell the entire set - tires and rims. Anyone interested please email me on judexyz123@yahoo.com. The rims are 16 x 7 and tires are 225/60/16. I am willing to negotiate.
I am looking for a Nav to fit in my Dash but i want to retain my cassette player. If anyone has one for sale please let me know. I purchased the car three weeks ago and installed the wheels and tires last week.

Quick Reply: Just bought 1998 LS400 w/nav@122K ! Love it!