LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400
Old 12-16-14, 12:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides

Print Wikipost

Whining Noise at Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-12, 07:59 AM
supdawg2u
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining Noise at Idle

I took my car in to get an alignment and a tire rotation. The Service Rep came back and told me that the mechanic noticed that my rack and pinion was leaking. I told him I would deal with that later.

After I got the car back I drove up the street to the store. Once I turned the car back on, I began noticing a whine that appeared to be coming from the right side of the car (where where the P/S and alternator are located). I checked the power steering reservoir and it is full. My initial thought was that the mechanic shop did something to cause the car to begin whining so I would take it back, because the car ran flawlessly when I initially took it in.

1) What are some things that they could have done to cause the car to whine all of a sudden (ie. water in the reservoir)?

2) If the rack and pinon is indeed leaking would that cause the whine? There is no hesitation when I turn the steering wheel, and the reservoir is still full.
Old 06-12-12, 08:06 AM
j2b4o
Pole Position

Wrong fluid.
Old 06-12-12, 09:22 AM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i say you just refill the resovoir with toyota type t-iv/dexron ATF. awhile back, mine started to whine out of no where and it got worse day by day. sucked all the old fluid out, put all the new fluid in and the whining went away.
Old 06-12-12, 04:33 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by xtremex626
i say you just refill the resovoir with toyota type t-iv/dexron ATF. awhile back, mine started to whine out of no where and it got worse day by day. sucked all the old fluid out, put all the new fluid in and the whining went away.
Type IV and dexron are totally different fluid specs.

that being said, the power steering on all LS400s uses Dexron III/Mercon spec transmission fluid.
Old 06-12-12, 10:22 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

^well according to the place i work at now, toyota t-iv is compatible with dexron. nothing wrong so far. also heard type T-IV replaces T-I, T-II, & T-III.

Last edited by xtremex626; 06-12-12 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-13-12, 04:33 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by xtremex626
^well according to the place i work at now, toyota t-iv is compatible with dexron. nothing wrong so far. also heard type T-IV replaces T-I, T-II, & T-III.
search the forum. the place you work at is simply wrong in that respect. Toyota Type-IV transmission fluid is NOT directly replaceable by any purely Dexron-III/Mercon spec fluid. It replaces and supersedes any Type I and Type II fluid (there was no toyota Type-III for fear of confusion with Dexron).

Toyota Type-IV is actually toyota's specific branding of Aisin-Warner's specific transmission fluid, specified as the JWS-3309 standard. Simiar specification fluids are also sold by Ford, Mazda, and Volvo (and pretty much anyone else who uses aisin auto trans).

This being said there are some "universal" type fluids out there that claim to meet T-IV standards as well as D3/M, such as Mobil 1 ATF, castrol multi-vehicle, and Royal Purple. Frankly, in my personal opinion the more standards a fluid is approved for the more the "jack of all trades/master of none" effect takes hold.

But there haven't been any (to my knowledge) negative issues with using a fluid that is APPROVED as a t-iv replacement. there HAVE been numerous people with transmission problems (slipping, harsh shifting, and internal damage) from using Dexron III/Mercon/other spec fluids.
Old 06-13-12, 06:47 AM
supdawg2u
Driver School Candidate

I apologize, but I completely forgot to put the year. My Lexus is a 95. Would that make a difference in which type to put in?
Old 06-13-12, 06:53 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Originally Posted by supdawg2u
I apologize, but I completely forgot to put the year. My Lexus is a 95. Would that make a difference in which type to put in?
no, all LS400 '89-00 use:

-Toyota T-IV transmission fluid for the transmission.
-Dexron III/Mercon spec transmission fluid for the Power Steering system.
Old 06-13-12, 07:09 AM
supdawg2u
Driver School Candidate

Thanks PureDrifter! I also realized that regular power steering fluid is a NO NO, and I have often topped it off with it when the system was low. Just read how to flush the system, so I am going to make that happen today!! The mechanic might be off the hook now

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
no, all LS400 '89-00 use:

-Toyota T-IV transmission fluid for the transmission.
-Dexron III/Mercon spec transmission fluid for the Power Steering system.