LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

I think my transmission is dieing please advise

Old 06-07-12, 10:50 AM
Luxurexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my transmission is dieing please advise

I have a '91 LS400. Recently only when the car is cold my transmission has been giving me a little trouble. This morning I let my car warm up to about the quarter mark then reversed out of my driveway as normal then shifted to drive, The light on my dash indicated that I was in D but the car felt as if I was in Neutral or stuck between the gears. When I pressed the gas pedal (thinking I was in drive) the car hesitated for a second (the rpms did fluctuate as if I was in neutral) then popped into gear and continue to drive smoothly throughout the day. Has anyone else had this problem? If so what is the cause? I am afraid to do a fluid change because I hear it would most likely cause more harm than good. I would appreciate any information and help.
-Cheers
Old 06-07-12, 11:15 AM
MrFuel
Pole Position

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Your transmission might just be low on fluid. I would do a fluid flush and replace the fluid and make sure it's full.
Mine did the same and all it was, is it was low on fluid.
Old 06-07-12, 11:49 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

What is the condition of the fluid?

You have two options. If the fluid is how most are with neglect, leave the fluid as it is and the guarantee the tranny will truly be dead shortly.

Or

A multiple drain of the fluid along with replacing the shift solenoids and cleaning the screen in chance keeping the tranny working longer. This option is far less $.

For more reading:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...er-thread.html
Old 06-07-12, 12:24 PM
Justinkm
Driver

Check ur fluid.. Has happen to me.. But the same thing happens to me on hot days SOMETIMES.
Old 06-07-12, 12:30 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
What is the condition of the fluid?

You have two options. If the fluid is how most are with neglect, leave the fluid as it is and the guarantee the tranny will truly be dead shortly.

Or

A multiple drain of the fluid along with replacing the shift solenoids and cleaning the screen in chance keeping the tranny working longer. This option is far less $.

For more reading:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...er-thread.html
The fluid is dirty and probably has lost a lot of viscosity but I was told by a Lexus tech today that doing a fluid flush would most likely destroy the transmission. He said that when cars get old the dirt and grime is actually the only thing holding the parts together. I thought about doing a fluid/filter change anyway but would hate to waste the $100 (and then some for the solenoids) if it ends with the same result (Needing a new tranny)
Old 06-07-12, 12:31 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by MrFuel
Your transmission might just be low on fluid. I would do a fluid flush and replace the fluid and make sure it's full.
Mine did the same and all it was, is it was low on fluid.
Could be possible but it ran fine for the last 6 months that I have owned the vehicle and has only recently started giving me trouble.
Old 06-07-12, 12:32 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by Justinkm
Check ur fluid.. Has happen to me.. But the same thing happens to me on hot days SOMETIMES.
Outside temperature dosnt necessarily effect my case, its the temperature of the motor/transmission.
Old 06-07-12, 01:21 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

The Lexus Tech was right, a complete fluid flush would likley destroy your transmission. Here is what you want to do:

1. Drain the trans.
2. Drop the pan.
3. Clean/replace filters (depending on type).
4. Reinstall pan with new gasket/RTV Silicone.
5. Refill with fresh fluid.

In doing this, you have removed 2-4 quarts of old dirty fluid and gotten the new fluid circulating, so it can clean slowly. Drive for a week and repeat the process without the pan drop (if you have a drain plug) or with the pan drop but without the filter change (if you dont).

I did this on my ES250 at 120k miles, the trans was still going at 160k when she got wrecked. She then got sold, rebuilt and driven further still, has over 230k on it now, with the original trans that I saved. I drained and refilled 5x, until the fluid was red and stayed that way.
Old 06-07-12, 01:21 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxurexus
Could be possible but it ran fine for the last 6 months that I have owned the vehicle and has only recently started giving me trouble.
everything runs fine, until it breaks...
Old 06-07-12, 02:33 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Key word is "flush". Flush = NO
Drain as ArmyofOne mentioned and what is covered in the Mother of tranny thread.

The fluid is dirty and probably has lost a lot of viscosity but I was told by a Lexus tech today that doing a fluid flush would most likely destroy the transmission.
Yes, with high probability it would not shift at all when the particulates get lodged in the passageways and solenoids.

I thought about doing a fluid/filter change anyway but would hate to waste the $100 (and then some for the solenoids) if it ends with the same result (Needing a new tranny)
That is the gamble opposed to what a tranny or replacement car is going to cost. $100 isn't worth it? The discussion we have here are constant on maintaining fluids during their intervals. Have the differential, PS and brake fluids been neglected as well? If not maintained, I would say start shopping for a replacement car now. You will have other fluid related failures to face.
Old 06-07-12, 06:23 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
The Lexus Tech was right, a complete fluid flush would likley destroy your transmission. Here is what you want to do:

1. Drain the trans.
2. Drop the pan.
3. Clean/replace filters (depending on type).
4. Reinstall pan with new gasket/RTV Silicone.
5. Refill with fresh fluid.

In doing this, you have removed 2-4 quarts of old dirty fluid and gotten the new fluid circulating, so it can clean slowly. Drive for a week and repeat the process without the pan drop (if you have a drain plug) or with the pan drop but without the filter change (if you dont).

I did this on my ES250 at 120k miles, the trans was still going at 160k when she got wrecked. She then got sold, rebuilt and driven further still, has over 230k on it now, with the original trans that I saved. I drained and refilled 5x, until the fluid was red and stayed that way.
I asked the technician about this as well and his response was the same, new transmission. I will most likely try it out anyway just because the odds are in my favor (like in poker lol)
Old 06-07-12, 06:28 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
Key word is "flush". Flush = NO
Drain as ArmyofOne mentioned and what is covered in the Mother of tranny thread.

Yes, with high probability it would not shift at all when the particulates get lodged in the passageways and solenoids.

That is the gamble opposed to what a tranny or replacement car is going to cost. $100 isn't worth it? The discussion we have here are constant on maintaining fluids during their intervals. Have the differential, PS and brake fluids been neglected as well? If not maintained, I would say start shopping for a replacement car now. You will have other fluid related failures to face.
Again I have already asked about this procedure and the technicians response was the same, that my transmission is "past the point of no return". It is a worthy gamble and I will most likely do the flush if I cannot find a cheap replacement transmission. As for the other fluids, you kind of contradicted yourself there, are you saying a new car is cheaper than replacing all the fluids and worn parts? Would I not face these same problems on any old car? Sure there are the few that have been meticulously maintained but they generally run at a much higher price anyway so it balances out in the end. At least that is my observation.
Old 06-07-12, 06:32 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
everything runs fine, until it breaks...
noway...
Old 06-07-12, 07:08 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxurexus
Again I have already asked about this procedure and the technicians response was the same, that my transmission is "past the point of no return". It is a worthy gamble and I will most likely do the flush if I cannot find a cheap replacement transmission. As for the other fluids, you kind of contradicted yourself there, are you saying a new car is cheaper than replacing all the fluids and worn parts? Would I not face these same problems on any old car? Sure there are the few that have been meticulously maintained but they generally run at a much higher price anyway so it balances out in the end. At least that is my observation.
It may be at the point of no return, but I would bet you can save it with a "drain and refill", and not a flush.
Old 06-07-12, 08:52 PM
Luxurexus
Driver

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne
It may be at the point of no return, but I would bet you can save it with a "drain and refill", and not a flush.
Im going to give it a shot this weekend, fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice everyone

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think my transmission is dieing please advise