LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-02, 02:49 AM
JWC83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radar Detector

Hey,

My 1992 LS400 has an integrated radar detector. The on switch is in the center console, and the warnings lights are suspended in the instrument cluster. I have no idea how to work the radar detector, and can find nothing in the owner's manual, or on the internet. When were radar detectors offered? How can I find out how to use it?

JWC
Old 11-10-02, 09:44 AM
Geremology101
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Radar Detector is called the K40 radar detector. There should be 2 lights in the instrument cluster that blinks. If the left light blinks and u hear a chirping from the left side of the car then that means that the radar detector picked up some sort of radar to the front of the car. If the right light blinks and you hear a chirping from the right side of the car, then that means that the radar detector picked up a signal to the rear of the car. If you hear a rapid chirping, then that means that you are being clocked by a police that is very near by.

www.k40.com for more info
Old 11-10-02, 12:53 PM
JWC83
Driver School Candidate

The lights suspended in the gauge cluster do say whether the radar is front or back; however, the switch in the center console in a different story. If you turn the switch one way, the lights are orange. If you turn in the other way, the lights are red. Why is there a difference? Is one for highway driving and one for city? If so, how do I know which is which? Thanks.
Old 11-10-02, 04:02 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a K-40 correct.

Orange = city mode.
Red = Highway mode.

Usually you turn the switch to the left for city mode and right for highway mode.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 11-10-02 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-10-02, 04:15 PM
Geremology101
Rookie

I have the same radar detector...I bought the car with the radar in it, so I'm not really sure how it works. I have a switch under the dashboard to turn the radar off and on, but I don't know where the other switch is to switch it from city mode and highway mode, and both of my lights are red.

Where do I find that switch? Or do I have a 1st Generation radar that doesn't have that switch?
Old 11-10-02, 04:39 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Usually it's one ****/switch with two pieces. An outer piece to power on for highway/city mode and an inner **** that adjusts/controls the volume.

Do you have an actual **** that you turn or is it a toggle switch?
If it's a toggle switch then it's not a K-40.

You may have an older model but you should still be able to control it from city and highway mode IMO. I doubt they would have put two different ***** located in various parts of the dash. I assume you did look around for another switch and you probably don't have one.

Try locating the brain behind the front bumper to catch the model number. Look around it's deffinately there. It's hidden very well though either on one side or the other, usually on the drivers side.

Let me know how you make out, good luck!

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 11-11-02 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-10-02, 05:16 PM
Geremology101
Rookie

I just have a toggle switch to turn it on and for volume. I looked behind the bumper annd I didn't see a model number, I only saw "SONAR RADAR" written in red letters.
Old 11-10-02, 06:25 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Check to see if you have a rear brain. Would be located in the middle of your rear bumper up high somewhere. This way I could tell if you have both front and rear protection meaning 360 degrees. I have a feeling you are only protected from the front. You can always add on to it and upgrade your model. If you do then when your left red LED blinks its picking up radar from the front and when your right one blinks its picking up radar from the rear.

As far as city and highway mode you may not have that option which is unusual. Could also be automatic but that's not usually how the K-40 works. Should have two different lights with a K-40 system.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 11-10-02 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-10-02, 06:41 PM
Geremology101
Rookie

yes, i have a rear one too...I guess that I have a really old model
Old 11-10-02, 06:57 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Actually it's not that old if you have 360 degree protection unless someone upgraded it later on. It’s probably only a few years old. Most likely it is a K-40 and a pretty good one still. Should have most of the frequencies.

Did the rear give any info in regards to what model it is so I can tell you what coverage it provides? Try to look at both sides of the brain.

I think you have either the KP40-1000 or 2000 model.

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 11-10-02 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-10-02, 08:47 PM
charhall
Driver School Candidate

I have the same type of radar detector; just discovered it today after buying the car yesterday. It was a pleasant surprise. I don't think I have 360 degree protection though, because only one light shows up in the dash console when the car is started. I have a toggle switch under the dash and and volume control. It doesn't seem to have city/highway options either. About how much would it cost to add rear radar? Thanks for the URL reference to the K40 site.
Old 11-11-02, 12:34 PM
VSsc400
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sonar radar ss1000 or ss1100 model. The unit under the rear bumper should have a picture of a snake. This is an analog unit and will not detect lasers. It also IS NOT upgradable to the new digital units. It provides protections against K, KA, and X bands. depending which model you have you should have red/gree or red/orange.

orange/green = city
red = highway
continuous chirping = radar gun
chirping 1 per second for 6 second = speed trap
clicking noise with no chirping = entering or exiting speed trap

general guideline. if it chirps or makes clicking noise slow down.

you should also have volume control. if it does not make chirping sounds when you start the car then you don't have the k-40 sonar radar unit.
Old 11-11-02, 04:33 PM
charhall
Driver School Candidate

This unit doesn't appear to have anything but frontward detection. I only see one light when the car starts, it is red. The unit chirps when the car starts, and also when it is alerting, but the sounds are always the same. There is not a clicking or other sound that I have heard yet, but have only driven the car a short distance since turning the unit on. I also don't appear to have city/highway options. This is on a 91 Lexus LS 400.
  • One red LED in the dash display
  • One white toggle switch below the dash, near the fuse panel
  • One black volume **** that also seems to have an off position that it clicks into
Old 11-11-02, 04:41 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Here's the operating intructions for the 1000,1000P, 2000, 2000P

http://www.k40.com/PDF/K40%20Pod%20Operating.pdf

Here is how to install it if you need it.

http://k40.com/PDF/K40%20Pod%20Install.pdf

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 11-11-02 at 06:08 PM.
Old 11-11-02, 05:07 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by charhall
This unit doesn't appear to have anything but frontward detection. I only see one light when the car starts, it is red. The unit chirps when the car starts, and also when it is alerting, but the sounds are always the same. There is not a clicking or other sound that I have heard yet, but have only driven the car a short distance since turning the unit on. I also don't appear to have city/highway options. This is on a 91 Lexus LS 400.
  • One red LED in the dash display
  • One white toggle switch below the dash, near the fuse panel
  • One black volume **** that also seems to have an off position that it clicks into

You have the K40-1000P model

Quick Reply: Radar Detector