LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Exhaust Drone

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 01:23 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

stop dealing in hearsay and start doing research from reputable sources.

get mufflers and a couple properly sized resonators
Old 06-03-13, 01:29 AM
AYEmike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put back two resonators thats before where you had the rear mufflers.
Old 06-03-13, 02:02 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Some supplemental discussion:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...o-talk-in.html
Old 06-03-13, 11:57 AM
cody09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm actually about to get the same exact exhaust done with 2 inch piping. Do you have a video of the exhaust?
Old 06-03-13, 01:11 PM
timmy0tool

Received 415 Likes on 370 Posts

since you are under budget, return the rear muffler section or the pair of resonators and see if that quiets it down to your liking. it will still have a rumble, just not a head-ache inducing one.
Old 06-03-13, 03:09 PM
xtremex626
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

my LS is straight piped as well, custom 2.25 in. piping from the cat back but i left my stock mufflers intact for this purpose (to reduce drone). all three resonators were removed for mine.

you can hear some slight drone in the 2k rpm range but other than that it pretty much sounds stock unless you get on it. idk how the early model (90-94) LS' exhaust layout is, but the rear muffler section where it splits, there should be a clamp on both sides in which you can loosen and then remove the mufflers if you wanted to ever do the muffler delete (it's pretty damn loud and i've driven around without the rear mufflers and i'm surprised i still haven't got pulled over for it *knock on wood*).. anyways, that's the route you should've took in the first place to avoid major drone.

but like everyone else is saying, your best bet to reduce the drone is to slap on a pair of mufflers where the stock mufflers used to be (in your case, gone, since you had it straight piped).
Old 06-03-13, 07:49 PM
Hodson
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xtremex626
my LS is straight piped as well, custom 2.25 in. piping from the cat back but i left my stock mufflers intact for this purpose (to reduce drone). all three resonators were removed for mine.

you can hear some slight drone in the 2k rpm range but other than that it pretty much sounds stock unless you get on it. idk how the early model (90-94) LS' exhaust layout is, but the rear muffler section where it splits, there should be a clamp on both sides in which you can loosen and then remove the mufflers if you wanted to ever do the muffler delete (it's pretty damn loud and i've driven around without the rear mufflers and i'm surprised i still haven't got pulled over for it *knock on wood*).. anyways, that's the route you should've took in the first place to avoid major drone.

but like everyone else is saying, your best bet to reduce the drone is to slap on a pair of mufflers where the stock mufflers used to be (in your case, gone, since you had it straight piped).
Looks like that's what i'm gonna do, I took it to budget brake & muffler for the muffler delete and they did a **** job, ****ty pipe, ****ty welds and not even mandrel bent, all crimped and stuff. I could see the ****ty welds and bad pipe they used enhancing the drone

Looks like i'm getting Pypes M80s! mustang wheels first, then mustang exhaust, lols. LStang400 basically
The following users liked this post:
GiantsFan (08-01-17)
Old 05-26-15, 08:25 PM
mnLS400
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Exhaust Drone when removing all mufflers

Has anyone removed all the mufflers after the resonator. If so is there a sound clip? and how is the drone?
Currently I have removed the rear two mufflers and the initial start sounds decent but i know it needs more. I will be doing a full custom setup down the road but for now I was wondering if removing the "pre-mufflers" on top of removing the rear mufflers would make it sound any better and louder?

thanks!
Old 05-26-15, 11:42 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

This thread discusses the various results from exhaust mods:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...o-talk-in.html
Old 05-27-15, 04:38 AM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

The car sounds great but there is A LOT of drone. Not to mention there was a lot of rattles coming from inside and outside (most likely heatshields) the car. Here's a video clip of me accelerating at around 1/4 throttle; it was unbearably loud inside and I put the mufflers back on first thing the next day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opi_...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-27-15, 12:38 PM
mnLS400
Rookie

thanks for the info. I guess I will keep my system as is and will remove the pre-mufflers and after the resonator add a Y pipe and straight to the rear and add some magnaflows. im still not sure if i want to do a 2.5in pipe or 2.25in pipe. also I see many various magnaflow part numbers. is there a particular one to use for our cars. I will be adding my own tips, so I know i dont want any with a tip on them.

is there any difference in noise or drone if I replace the pre mufflers with magnaflows vs places the mufflers in the rear by the bumper?

thanks!
Old 05-27-15, 06:27 PM
Mocchan
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Placing the mufflers further near the bumper should reduce the amount of noise you hear inside the cabin; I'll be doing this sometime in the future with a new Y pipe and two mufflers by the bumpers. As for part numbers, I'm not too certain. I've seen some videos on YouTube but as you know, exhaust clips aren't 100% accurate when recorded than in person.
Old 05-27-15, 09:26 PM
mnLS400
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mocchan
Placing the mufflers further near the bumper should reduce the amount of noise you hear inside the cabin; I'll be doing this sometime in the future with a new Y pipe and two mufflers by the bumpers. As for part numbers, I'm not too certain. I've seen some videos on YouTube but as you know, exhaust clips aren't 100% accurate when recorded than in person.
looking over many many forum posts it looks like 2.25in piping is the best along with a X-Pipe. So I'll be removing the resonator and the pre mufflers and placing two magnaflows in the rear. I found
Magnaflow 11365 would fit nicely in that spot.

I wish I knew what setup he has, cause this sounds perfect.

Old 05-29-15, 09:47 AM
mnLS400
Rookie

got some new exhaust parts in. hopefully installing them tonight! 2 magnaflow mufflers and an x-pipe.

Lawson Industries 66922 Stainless Steel X-Pipe

Magnaflow 11225 Satin Stainless Steel 2.25" Oval Muffler
Old 05-29-15, 12:55 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Do a search on side branch resonator. Same sound but cancels out drone without exhaust restriction. Have this done on Z. Stock quiet at cruising speeds. Google is your friend

Quick Reply: Exhaust Drone