LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Another bump, literally....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-12, 11:00 AM
NEcoastie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another bump, literally....

So I rarely drive my 92 ls400, and when I do it always feels better than my Nissan quest work van... But it came to my attention last month that when driving over 50, I felt a high vibration... Initially thought it was the wheel bearings... Not it, then I noticed my tires had flat spots... So yesterday I bought new tires... The guys who put them on told me after they drove it outta the shop that my rims were nipples on the front... Wtf??? Why wouldn't they tell me that before I wasn't able to return the tires?.? Pisses me off because a buddy has been trying to sell me a set of 18" rims with low pro tires, but one rim has a small nipple... So now I have a question... Can my Lexus roll on 18" s? If so I'll buy the rims for 50 bucks, find a similar rim online and just switch the tire and be back on the road... I'll still have a set of 600.000 dollar tires that won't fit the 18" rims though...
Old 05-10-12, 01:11 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i would just find a set of wheels to fit your tires... www.car-part.com is a good tool for searching junkyards. your '92 still has the factory 15's for that year right?
Old 05-10-12, 01:21 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

short answer,, yes you 92 can roll on 18's with no problem. Longer answer involves questions in which you need supply answers to.

1. What are the "new rims coming off of?
2. You need the tire size/wheel specs of the rims to determine if they will even fit correctly or you may need adaptors.
3. Is your car lowered, or still riding at factory height?

All of these above will aid in being able to determine if you will have a straight bolt and go application, or if work is needed to make them fit. Question 2 is probably the most important listed above.
Old 05-12-12, 07:03 AM
NEcoastie
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by trukn1
short answer,, yes you 92 can roll on 18's with no problem. Longer answer involves questions in which you need supply answers to.

1. What are the "new rims coming off of?
2. You need the tire size/wheel specs of the rims to determine if they will even fit correctly or you may need adaptors.
3. Is your car lowered, or still riding at factory height?

All of these above will aid in being able to determine if you will have a straight bolt and go application, or if work is needed to make them fit. Question 2 is probably the most important listed above.
Thanks for your advice
The wheels and rims were previously on an04' Subaru legacy that my friend drives like its made of glass... He made a mistake letting some girl he was crushing on drive his car and she hit a curb that nippled the 1 rim... They have less than 500 miles of use... My 2 other options are buying 4 steel rims and throwing on some hub caps(I've seen what my car would look like with hubby's-it's a down right shame) or buying 4 new rims that will fit the new tires... Not the money I want to spend...
So considering that the 18" rims for $50 with tires have a universal lug nut pattern that will work and my suspension is factory... They are also white which matches my paint job... You think I should go ahead and give it a whirl? You opinion would be great man...
Old 05-12-12, 09:26 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok,, here is hat is needed. You ned the dimensions for the wheel to determine if it will fit correctly. I don't know much bout the Legacy, but with a little research I have found that the factory wheel specs were as follows,

Bolt pattern - 5 X114.3 (this is good as it matches the LS )
Factory wheel for Subie was 14",,, yours (factory is 15" for the 92)
Factory wheel was only 7" wide. Cant remember what the LS was factory.

Anyway,, what information you need off of the "new" wheel is,,

bolt pattern (5X???,,,should be printed on the wheel itself), pretty sure it matches but double check (LS is 5X114.3,,anything different and wheels wont work without adaptors,,and it wont be worth the time) Not all universal lug pattern will work even though UNIVERSAL suggests different.
High disk or low disk setup
Wheel Offset( will read +40, +35, +38, etc)
Hub center bore (LS is 60.1 MM,,you can work with this being diffeent on new wheel though use of hub rings)

See if you can get a pic of the rim, b/c am not sure what this rim you are referring to looks like. Personally,, not a big fan, but if cost is an object, and they will fit,, and most importantly YOU LIKE THEM,, then go for it.
Old 05-19-12, 07:24 AM
NEcoastie
Driver School Candidate

Default so i bought the rims/wheels...

Hey trukn1,
Here is a pic of one of the tires(i havn't cleaned them yet)... The tires are Kumho-225/40-r18... the rims are 18x7-1/2... im sure they will fit... my next task is to find a similar rim! The center cap sayes SPP i believe and ive found that most-likly stands for Superior Performance Parts, which is a distributor... If you or anyone knows a good way to locate replacement rims that would be so much help!
Attached Thumbnails Another bump, literally....-photo-1.jpg