LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Engine Rebuilt Proj.....Any Advice w/Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 02:11 AM
nordoyan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Rebuilt Proj.....Any Advice w/Pics....New Exhaust Video

Back in 09 got into an accident and body shop blew my motor with only 64000 miles on it!!!
He refunded all the money that they put into the car so I decided to start rebuilding the car myself

Before the accident

Outside

Inside

After the Accident

While Rebuilding

The car was running but there was this knocking sound which was getting on my nerves so me and a friend of mine took the car to his shop and tore everything apart to get that part fixed.

Disassembled

We got ran into one problem, we did not know how to do a full valve adjustment. So we took of the head and sent it to a machine shop for a full rebuild

Heads LH & RH

Then a day before we were going to put the engine back together I decided now is a good time to degrease the engine and clean up the gunk and carbon buildup on the cylinder walls and piston heads.

Block

LH Cylinders

RH Cylinders

When I was cleaning them on the passenger side one of the pistons had a beautiful gash in it! I was about to cry, now more work has to be done. Now i have to remove the block send it to the machine shop and see if there is anything else wrong with the block besides piston head, and while am at it going to tell the machine shop so clean up the block

The damage

Future Plans for the Car
- If I have to get the Pistons Replaced I am going to replace it with Lextreme's Forged Piston and Rod Combo Kit
- Timing Belt Kit
- Spark Plugs
- Ignition Coils
- Motor & Transmission Mounts
- Rear Main Seal & Oil Pump Seal
Now My Question(s)

1. Am I forgetting anything to replace since the car is torn apart?
2. Any performance mods I can do. ( No SC or TC for now )
3. How much power can the block take just case I change my mind about forced induction?

Any Advice or Suggestion would be greatly Appreciated and Thank you in Advance

I AM FIANLLY DONE STARTED THE CAR ON SUNDAY WITH THE 3 RESONATORS AND MUFFLERS OFF

Last edited by nordoyan; 05-29-12 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old 05-05-12, 04:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by nordoyan
Back in 09 got into an accident and body shop blew my motor with only 64000 miles on it!!!
He refunded all the money that they put into the car so I decided to start rebuilding the car myself

Before the accident

Outside

Inside

After the Accident

While Rebuilding

The car was running but there was this knocking sound which was getting on my nerves so me and a friend of mine took the car to his shop and tore everything apart to get that part fixed.

Disassembled

We got ran into one problem, we did not know how to do a full valve adjustment. So we took of the head and sent it to a machine shop for a full rebuild

Heads LH & RH

Then a day before we were going to put the engine back together I decided now is a good time to degrease the engine and clean up the gunk and carbon buildup on the cylinder walls and piston heads.

Block

LH Cylinders

RH Cylinders

When I was cleaning them on the passenger side one of the pistons had a beautiful gash in it! I was about to cry, now more work has to be done. Now i have to remove the block send it to the machine shop and see if there is anything else wrong with the block besides piston head, and while am at it going to tell the machine shop so clean up the block

The damage

`
Future Plans for the Car
- If I have to get the Pistons Replaced I am going to replace it with Lextreme's Forged Piston and Rod Combo Kit
- Timing Belt Kit
- Spark Plugs
- Ignition Coils
- Motor & Transmission Mounts
- Rear Main Seal & Oil Pump Seal
Now My Question(s)

1. Am I forgetting anything to replace since the car is torn apart?
2. Any performance mods I can do. ( No SC or TC for now )
3. How much power can the block take just case I change my mind about forced induction?

Any Advice or Suggestion would be greatly Appreciated and Thank you in Advance
well if you do rods+pistons and want performance then the ideal would be to go higher compression, but high-comp NA V8s dont really make much power without proper cams+tuning. and if you go high-comp you won't be able to slap any FI on the car in the future without lowering the compression ratio (ie-switching out pistons) anyways.

on the flip side, you could go with low-comp pistons to set you up for running boost, but then the car will be sluggish and crap to drive UNTIL you get FI installed (which requires a full fuel system and tuning as well).

frankly, just stick to stock pistons and maybe mildly upgraded rods and keep the compression ratio stock until you're SURE which direction you want to go with. the block can take a lot of power, but the stock rods can't. and you'll be looking at a few grand worth of fuel system+standalone+possibly cams in addition to any costs for an FI system before you're making any significant power.

Personally if i wasn't going to drop the large dime on a full FI system I wouldnt even both rebuilding the block. just find a 1uz or 2uz VVTi short block and slap your new heads onto the stock bottom end. between parts and machining you'll drop $3-5k+ at least on a built bottom end and you won't use it without dropping multiples of that amount on an FI system.
Old 05-05-12, 09:16 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Since a lexus is more of a family car and not a race car, its money better spent letting your machine shop decide what to do with the engine. And since the engine work is more their thing than it is yours, the big bucks you would spend on fancy parts would be better spent by having them or someone that knows proper assembly techniques to completely assemble the engine, and get a warranty as well. Then if something is not correct it is their problem not yours.
Old 05-05-12, 11:35 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
well if you do rods+pistons and want performance then the ideal would be to go higher compression, but high-comp NA V8s dont really make much power without proper cams+tuning. and if you go high-comp you won't be able to slap any FI on the car in the future without lowering the compression ratio (ie-switching out pistons) anyways.

on the flip side, you could go with low-comp pistons to set you up for running boost, but then the car will be sluggish and crap to drive UNTIL you get FI installed (which requires a full fuel system and tuning as well).

frankly, just stick to stock pistons and maybe mildly upgraded rods and keep the compression ratio stock until you're SURE which direction you want to go with. the block can take a lot of power, but the stock rods can't. and you'll be looking at a few grand worth of fuel system+standalone+possibly cams in addition to any costs for an FI system before you're making any significant power.

Personally if i wasn't going to drop the large dime on a full FI system I wouldnt even both rebuilding the block. just find a 1uz or 2uz VVTi short block and slap your new heads onto the stock bottom end. between parts and machining you'll drop $3-5k+ at least on a built bottom end and you won't use it without dropping multiples of that amount on an FI system.
I know the sub contractor machine shop for the Lexus Dealer so my block is going to him. Since I get a good price on the parts from the dealer, I am going to buy the parts and give it to the machine shop so they can replace.

a 2uz block is a direct plug and play or some more mods have to be done?
I was looking at the block from lextreme they claim its plug n play, but other members are saying i might have to change the tranny and ecu

what about the 3uz

So you can have a better idea, I am looking to spend to a anywhere from 2000 to 5000 at the most

Last edited by nordoyan; 05-06-12 at 12:28 AM.
Old 05-05-12, 11:37 PM
nordoyan
Rookie

Originally Posted by dicer
Since a lexus is more of a family car and not a race car, its money better spent letting your machine shop decide what to do with the engine. And since the engine work is more their thing than it is yours, the big bucks you would spend on fancy parts would be better spent by having them or someone that knows proper assembly techniques to completely assemble the engine, and get a warranty as well. Then if something is not correct it is their problem not yours.
but its the changes you do to your car that makes it your car and that it becomes different from everyone else =]