LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

LS newb

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 08:24 AM
OmahaLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS newb

Hello all - been following the forum for awhile in anticipation of LS ownership - and it's finally happened!

Traded my gas guzzling Dodge Ram Hemi MegaCab for a clean, low (79.5k) mile 2000 LS400. Already used the forums to figure out one little problem (the taillamp failure indication - I'm headed to the garage to change those 3rd brake light bulbs now).

Parts I'm looking for include a front end splash shield (belly pan?), an under hood fuse box cover (mine has a broken latch), and possibly 1 or 2 OEM 5-slot chrome wheels (pretty bad curb rash on my driver's side wheels). Actually - if anyone has a set of 4 non-chrome OEM wheels I'd rather do that and I'll keep the chromes for a set of Blizzaks for the winter months.

After much research on here I've finally given up on adding an aux input to the factory audio system (nav-equipped car) and ordered a hard-wired FM modulator. Someday I'll likely add a non-nav HVAC control and aftermarket head unit/amps/speakers but for now this will do.

Anyone have any air suspension experience? Had a pre-purchase inspection done at Lexus of Omaha and they said there are no issues now but I'm preparing myself for the worst if it fails. I've seen the coil spring/strut conversion kits online and am wondering if that's a viable option. Hate to stray from the OEM setup but it doesn't make a lot of financial sense to put 1/3 of what I paid for the car into it in parts and labor (if I had to replace all 4 air shocks).

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 05-02-12, 10:18 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

welcome, you will find most of your answers here. use the stickies and FAQs at the top of the sub forum.

as for the stock air suspension (AS), most convert to conventional shock/spring when one of more of the components start to fail. it's really up to you when you get to that point in your ownership on what to do. it may be an inexpensive repair, or not. for now enjoy the car, at the mileage you shouldn't see too much problems.

post pictures and enjoy your stay!