LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Brake lights work. Tail lights don't. 92ls400

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 05:48 AM
Kalaries
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail Light Troubleshoot

So here's the deal. I have 2 sets of taillights for my LS and Ive been using my stock OEM taillights that's are smoked out. Well now I've been pulled over by state patrol twice in 2 weeks. So I go and swap out my tailights for the Aftermarket pair(red and clear, I think it's a celsior style) anyway since putting them in, the tail lights dont work. But my brake lights all work fine. The turn signals,and the license plate lamp lights all work fine.

What happened to my tail lights? Any ideas? I'm almost positive that they worked just fine with the other set.
Some people on another thread regarding the same problem with an ES reported to check the fuses which I will check. Any other ideas? I'll post back the results of the fuse check.

Last edited by Kalaries; 05-04-12 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-30-12, 06:36 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

sounds like you got some dual and single filament bulbs mixed up...
Old 04-30-12, 08:44 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

^ that or the bulbs just happened to go bad. Stranger things have happened.

Also, the contact for the bulbs inside the socket seems to get worn down over the years, mine had this issue and the second filament wasn't making contact with the socket so it wasn't getting power. I temp fixed it with some solder until I found another harness at the junkyard.
Old 04-30-12, 01:54 PM
Kalaries
Driver

Question No Luck

i check all rear light fuses, they were all good, i replaced them anyways.
I then checked the bulbs, even replaced a few that looked unhealthy or correded.
This is very frustrating.

Ive called Lexus of Seattle and they are going to ask a few techs and call me back.
i guess when i get home ill try swaping them back to my smoked out OEM lights and see if they work, but i know they did.

I recently had a bulb out, and Gregs Japaneese replaced it for me while getting an oil change. That night while backing up i remeber seeing all lights lit up and working.-about 2 weeks ago

_over all ive got no bad bulbs, no bad fuses....

**now heres a thought i just had. I always drive with my headlights on, day or night, just because then the running lights would keep the tail lights illumnitated and they wouldnt look so dark. NOW im wondering if they DID go out before the tail light change, that would be a possible reason why ive been pulled over twice in 2 weeks.
The only part of that thought that doesnt fit is that i surely would have been pulled over at night time for NO TAILLIGHTS. Because this morning when i saw the car in the dark the only lights on the back were the lic plate lamps and nothing else, (unless brake are pressed), I mean you could imagine what that would look like driving in the dark with no rear lights unless the brake is pressed.

Hopefully Lexux calls back with an explanation.

OR SOMEONE ON HERE HAS HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM.[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]
Old 04-30-12, 01:56 PM
Kalaries
Driver

Exclamation further question

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
^ that or the bulbs just happened to go bad. Stranger things have happened.

Also, the contact for the bulbs inside the socket seems to get worn down over the years, mine had this issue and the second filament wasn't making contact with the socket so it wasn't getting power. I temp fixed it with some solder until I found another harness at the junkyard.
""" When you had this problem did it knock out just the lamp you had issues with, or all of the rear lamps? -Kalaries
Old 05-01-12, 09:14 AM
Kalaries
Driver

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
sounds like you got some dual and single filament bulbs mixed up...

-Do you know, if having 1 or 2 bulbs mixed up would shut off ALL 4 tail lights? Because i didnt touch the QTR mounted Bulbs at all.
Old 05-01-12, 09:34 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kalaries
""" When you had this problem did it knock out just the lamp you had issues with, or all of the rear lamps? -Kalaries
My other lights were fine, just the bulb that wasn't making contact wouldn't light up with the headlights on, when brakes were pressed, bulb lit up (because the second filament was making contact)

I don't know if that's similar to your problem but I'll try to take a picture of the extra harness I have tonight to show you what I mean.
Old 05-01-12, 10:05 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

If you replaced all the bulbs with the right spec ones, my thought is that there is a contact issue within the socket. Make sure the pins in the connector are not bent or damaged either.
Old 05-01-12, 08:42 PM
PerpLexusd
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the contacts on your new tail light assembly especially if they are used. It happened to me once I guess if*it*sits too long a little layer of rust covers the contact points and the lights don't work 100 percent. What I did was I got a pointed fuse tester and scratched at the points till they were shiny again put the bulbs back in and they worked! My problem was that the taillights worked and my brakes didn't though
Old 05-02-12, 05:45 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Do the front lights come on? If not may be the switch has gone out. New assembly do not come with sockets. I had one rear one stop working turned out to the socket ordered a new harness from sewell.

Long ago on a another car the brake lights all stopped that turned out to be the brake light switch under the dash so double check if your fronts come on. Least you know the headlights work.
Old 05-02-12, 12:41 PM
Kalaries
Driver

Unhappy Update with no luck

SO ive checked the fuse and its perfectly fine.
-i even replaced it just to be sure.
ive checked all of the bulbs
ive unhooked the battery
unplugged bulb circuit board in the decklid.

I cannot think of anything else it could be except the switch. BUT the switch controls the headlights, brights, aux lamps, turn signals, park lamps, and the tail lights. SO i dont think its the switch since all the rest works... im out of ideas and this sucks because i cannot afford to replace the switch and have it NOT fixed....

bummer....

WELL, i found a used signal switch at a wrecking yard for 100$,
Greg's Japanese Auto quoted me 200$ to put it in,
SO i am going to attempt doing it myself on friday. Ill let you all know the result.

.....crossing my fingers....

Last edited by Kalaries; 05-02-12 at 01:07 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 05-03-12, 11:36 AM
Number18
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting... I have 2001 ES 300 and my stop light was off and kept buring up the bulb even after they replaced it. Come to find out that older Lexus has wiring in the trunk where something put pressure on the wire just like Toyota models (the tech said he used to work at toyota so that's why he knew what was the problem) and so they re-wired (so they said).

Now, I got the rear light warning indicator back on again... I think my tail lights are off. In the daylight, the rear light indicator only shows when I turned the light switch to 1 to 2 clicks. The indicator doesn't come on when I have it to "AUTO" UNLESS, i am in the darkness like garage.

so i dont' know what to think about it. I called the Lexus dealer and taking it in there on Saturday...
Old 05-03-12, 11:20 PM
Kalaries
Driver

Default Tail Light Troubleshoot Guide

I have been having some tail light issues with my 92LS400 lately, my local Lexus dealer emailed me this. It can be very useful.
Attached Thumbnails Brake lights work. Tail lights don't. 92ls400-tail-light-troubleshoot.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Taillight_Troubleshooting.pdf (39.9 KB, 785 views)

Last edited by Kalaries; 05-03-12 at 11:27 PM.
Old 05-04-12, 02:14 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

doesnt need its own thread, merged.
Old 05-06-12, 01:22 AM
Kalaries
Driver

Cool Solution

So after all this, I had almost tore apart my steering colum but the fact that I could not remove the steering wheel without a tool I called a mechanic friend to ask to borrow one. He wanted to look at the car himself. I agreed and he decided to check the "Fail Light Indicator"

It is the relay/module that controls the indicator light on the dash. I guess I should have been suspicious that throughout the problem it did not tell me I have any lights out on the dash. So basically the LS and Camrys had issues with that relay burning out.

It is a small 3x3in black box located behind the trunk trim, behind the left deck lid hinge. Its plugged in and clipped to its location. If you open up the black box there is a circuit board inside. Mine was fried. Well great right? Problem found and handled part number written right on the part. Call my lexus dealer and they say "no problem, we can have it here tomorrow, 480$"

Lucky me, i stopped at wrecking yard and found the part. 20$ and I was on my way.
Hope this helps someone 😄

Quick Reply: Brake lights work. Tail lights don't. 92ls400