LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

99 LS-speedometer dead

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-12, 10:00 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Usually this problem is fixed by installing "pins" at the bottom of the cluster needle resting position. It involved cluster disassembly and drilling into the gauge face plate. If you can make your needles jump to life again by hitting the dash, the pin install usually gets them working again.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 05-03-12, 10:23 PM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

I see, when they completely stick, I'll look into that fix.

Now, what's wrong? The A/C compressor is turning on and off, symptom of low freon? It will stop after some time.

Old 05-04-12, 08:59 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up AC compressor cycling

Your AC issue is probably just a coincidence. The low freon pressure switch will kill the AC clutch when the low side pressure goes below 50 psi. You've probably lost enough freon that the system charge is now marginal, and cuts on anf off for several cycles. When the engine and all the AC plumbing warms up, the static pressure will rise enough to keep the system running, for now. The easiest thing you can do is just buy a can of R134 and add it per directions (assuming you have a simple freon can tap kit). I have all the guages, specs, etc., but 90% of the time, a slow leak is the problem, and one can of freon every few years is the easiest solution.
Old 05-04-12, 09:10 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

I found that post I was referring to.

For those of you who would like to fix the sticking speedometer and Tach needles yourselves, at no cost, the solution is simple, but takes some careful disassembly of the gage cluster to remove the sticking gage. First, remove the cluster. (http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/elect...ntcluster.html) Then disassemble the cluster (http://www.lexusownersclub.com/Lexus...rd_Removal.pdf) by removing the 4 screws from the power supply board and folding it back, then the screws holding the main board to the frame. Remove the ribbon cables by carefully prying up evenly on the wedge lock, and the other connectors by lifting straight up.
Once the gage is removed you can access the needle limit stop arm from the back side. The sticking is the result of lube getting on the limit stop arm and causing a slight vacuum (much like denture adhesive) when the needle disk contacts it. This vacuum has to be overcome before the needle will release from the limit stop. There is no need for any lubrication at this location, and it must be removed.

Take a Q tip and remove most of the cotton from one end. It will fit nicely alongside the limit stop arm. Make sure the needle is pointing toward 50mph and not on the zero point. Insert the tip on the face side of the arm and once the tip reaches the end of the arm, rotate it gently to remove the lube. Then, even more gently, rotate the needle back toward the zero position until the limit stop on the disk contacts the Q tip and rotate the Q tip another turn while applying very gentle pressure on the back end of the needle arm. Rotate the needle away from the zero position and extract the Q tip and the sticking will be gone. Reassemble and grin widely, knowing that you saved yourself a couple hundred bucks. -Rick
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3378390-post59.html

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 05-04-12 at 09:14 AM.
Old 05-06-12, 05:09 PM
dengman
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my rpms stick on hot and cold days. Probably seen it 6 times so far in the 3 months of driving it. The speedo stuck yesterday at one point didnt notice it untill 3 miles down the road.

Good ol' tapping the dash works for now.
Old 05-09-12, 08:46 AM
pmesfun
Advanced

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

Just a little update, A/C has been working without hesitation since I cleaned the tb. The needles will be my next little project.
Old 07-14-12, 05:34 PM
PhlMartn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tapping the Dash fixes the Tach, but not so much on the AC Fan

My name is Phil and I've owned my 98 LS400 since 2000. It has 198k on it and it still drives incredibly well. Love the car. Last year the tach started playing dead about half the time. Sometimes it would go dead while up to speed on the freeway and other times it would play dead from the start and jump to life while driving.

After my mechanic said it was a new Computer for "Big Bucks", I was driving home (didn't buy the new computer because it didn't make sense to me) in frustration I slapped the dash and it started working. I subsequently found this forum and learned the "slight tap" technique was common and it is no big deal to me.

Last week, my AC fan would not come on, but I could tell the compressor, etc was working. I tried the "slight tap" technique and it started working again. It has happened about 5 other times and in 104 degree heat it's no fun. I sometimes have to "bang" the dash and the fan comes back on. It never stops working while it is on, it only will do this if the car is off and I turn it on...then it doesn't work sometimes.

What do you think? I don't mind if the tach isn't working, but the AC fan is a non-starter. lol.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 07-14-12, 06:26 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhlMartn
My name is Phil and I've owned my 98 LS400 since 2000. It has 198k on it and it still drives incredibly well. Love the car. Last year the tach started playing dead about half the time. Sometimes it would go dead while up to speed on the freeway and other times it would play dead from the start and jump to life while driving.

After my mechanic said it was a new Computer for "Big Bucks", I was driving home (didn't buy the new computer because it didn't make sense to me) in frustration I slapped the dash and it started working. I subsequently found this forum and learned the "slight tap" technique was common and it is no big deal to me.

Last week, my AC fan would not come on, but I could tell the compressor, etc was working. I tried the "slight tap" technique and it started working again. It has happened about 5 other times and in 104 degree heat it's no fun. I sometimes have to "bang" the dash and the fan comes back on. It never stops working while it is on, it only will do this if the car is off and I turn it on...then it doesn't work sometimes.

What do you think? I don't mind if the tach isn't working, but the AC fan is a non-starter. lol.

Any advice is appreciated.
I have yet to hear about problems with the A/C fan coming back to life from banging on the dash. This, to me, sounds like a electrical short. The tach and / or spedo problems are mechanical and unrelated regarding the symptoms described by myself and others. But, mine has never stopped working once the vacuum or stickiness released the needle. The fact that yours would quit while driving is totally different and more inline with an electronic issue. Check in your owners manual on the page that list the components effected by loss of a fuse. I think it references fuse 7 and 17 in regards to the dash and A/C / radio issues. Not that a fuse is blown but this may be somewhere to start. Could just be the relay controlling the cabin fan as well.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-15-12 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-14-12, 08:56 PM
fuzzygrape
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to chime in and say that I have the same exact problem on my 98 LS400 with my speedometer not going up and with my a/c blower not coming on at times too.

My temp gauge is also not functioning properly as well... Shows the car running hot when it's at normal temp.

The dealership wanted to charge me $600 to fix the temp gauge which I declined.

Last edited by fuzzygrape; 07-22-12 at 02:36 PM.
Old 07-14-12, 09:47 PM
LSTex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
I found that post I was referring to.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3378390-post59.html
Thanks for that, Lavrishevo! My speedometer needle sticks sometimes, but a tap on top of the dash knocks it loose. I'll look for the post again if the problem gets worse.
Old 07-16-12, 08:49 AM
PhlMartn
Driver School Candidate

Default Tach and AC, Now TEMP Too

Originally Posted by fuzzygrape
Just wanted to chime in and say that I have the same exact problem on my 98 LS400 with my speedometer not going up and with my a/c blower not coming on at times too!!

My temp gauge is also not functioning properly as well... Shows the car running hot when it's at normal temp.

The dealership wanted to charge me $600 to fix the temp gauge which I declined.
Phil here again. I have not experienced the Tach sticking or the A/C fan not coming on in about 5 days. These are fixed by slapping the dash. BUT....I was driving a 110 mile round trip yesterday and FREAKED out when I saw my Temp guage reading HOT. I stopped and nothing was out of the ordinary. I watched the guage very closely and it never "fluctuated" but was very very steady...just reading high. SEE pic.

I also observed the needle rising very quickly (20 seconds to this higher position) this morning from an overnight cold start.

Then I sign on and read the post above!! Anyway, this seems like a problem that is electrical and will continue to "Creep" if I don't get it fixed. But where to start?
Old 07-16-12, 10:23 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Phil here again. I have not experienced the Tach sticking or the A/C fan not coming on in about 5 days. These are fixed by slapping the dash. BUT....I was driving a 110 mile round trip yesterday and FREAKED out when I saw my Temp guage reading HOT. I stopped and nothing was out of the ordinary. I watched the guage very closely and it never "fluctuated" but was very very steady...just reading high. SEE pic.

I also observed the needle rising very quickly (20 seconds to this higher position) this morning from an overnight cold start.

Then I sign on and read the post above!! Anyway, this seems like a problem that is electrical and will continue to "Creep" if I don't get it fixed. But where to start?
The main engine temperature sensor is different from the sensor which controls the gauge. I would start by checking to see if this sensor is going bad. Are you sure the engine is not running hot? Is your thermostat functioning properly? It sounds like the sensor for the gauge is bad but better safe then sorry.
Old 07-22-12, 02:29 PM
fuzzygrape
Driver School Candidate

Phil -- mine doesn't go up quite that high, just a bit over the 3rd line, but that's the same exact issue that I'm having. The Lexus dealership confirmed that my engine temp sensor and thermostat are working fine, and that my problem is lying in my instrument cluster. They quoted me $600 to fix and 'no guarantee' they wouldn't damage other parts of the cluster, so I passed on the work.

Let me also add that it's been doing this for over 2 months now and hasn't gotten worse or gone any higher.

Last edited by fuzzygrape; 07-22-12 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-04-12, 12:32 PM
fuzzygrape
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to bump this thread again... but just FYI after a (very hot) trip to Vegas where our A/C didn't come on for half the trip, we decided to take our LS in. Ends up the fan blower motor kept getting stuck and needed to be replaced. We did it at the Lexus dealer and parts & labor ran us a little over $600. Still, it's nice having A/C working consistently again!