LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

Is the a Warning Light for Low ATF Fluid?

Old 04-22-12, 01:12 PM
margarita
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the a Warning Light for Low ATF Fluid?

My car was up on a lift about a month ago and someone mentioned the trans pan was leaking, At that time, they said the trans oil was fine (I hope they really did check it and weren't just saying so).

I had someone look at it recently and was getting ready to order up fluids and stuff, then thought, maybe I should take a second look at the fluid level. I know a true reading only comes from a check when the engine is at operating temp, but I did not want to go for a 10 mile drive (what my owner's manual says to do). The manual does say the ATF can be checked when the engine is cold, and described how to do that, which I followed (if I understood it correctly).

The car had not been driven for five hours, was level, I started it, shifted through each of the gears, left it in Park and idling while I checked the dipstick. Isn' t this how a cold check is to be done? The first time I pulled the dipstick out, the reddish (clear) fluid was ABOVE the top hot mark. I wiped the stick and put it back in for a second reading. I pushed it all the way down and withdrew it. This time there was NO oil on the stick, not even on the very end. I thought there was some kind of mistake, so did it again, but still no oil registered on the stick. I would say the entire process took about 4 minutes (the car was idling all the while).

Now I am not sure whether I should drive it to get it up to operating temp to recheck for a true reading or just what.

When the transpan was diagnosed, it wasn't dripping oil, it did have seepage all over it. There are no drips when I look under the car in the morning. None.

Wouldn't I get a warning light if the ATF was low? In the past week the car runs and sounds normal. I don't hear any rumbling or weird noises. I HAVE noticed on occasion, on SOME morning startups, a faint whining that goes away within five mins or less. Since it went away fairly quickly, I just assumed condensation had gotten on a belt or something overnight.

Again, need to know if I would get a warning light with low ATF (I got one when the brake fluid was low).

Would you drive it given what I found when I did a cold engine check?

I plan to check the dipstick again today without starting the engine...just to see if anything is on there.
Old 04-22-12, 01:19 PM
steve2006
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no warning light for low ATF.
Your manual should also say that the cold check is a rough check of the fluid level and the transmission should be fully warmed up and the checks made on the hot marking to make an accurate reading, so unless the ATF is leaking badly I wouldn't be too worried.
The difference apparently between the low and max level is only 1/2 a quart so accurate checking is needed.
Old 04-22-12, 02:11 PM
margarita
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by steve2006
There is no warning light for low ATF.
Your manual should also say that the cold check is a rough check of the fluid level and the transmission should be fully warmed up and the checks made on the hot marking to make an accurate reading, so unless the ATF is leaking badly I wouldn't be too worried.
The difference apparently between the low and max level is only 1/2 a quart so accurate checking is needed.
Ok, thanks. Yes, I know it needs to be ck'd at normal temp.