LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

1LS Whirring Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-12, 02:00 PM
hoosiercub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1LS Whirring Noise

I've got a 1994 LS400, and there's a whirring noise coming from the rear presumably, unless my ears are playing tricks on me. I recently lowered the car on stock struts with Tanabe springs. It rides great and completely made me fall in love with the car all over again. I've been driving this around for a while lowered, and haven't had any issues until today, I drove out of town and had a full load of people in the car, so I assumed at first that it was some sort of tire rubbing. I noticed that the noise changed or stopped completely when turning and coming to a stop. It's quite a cut-through-your-head noise at 55+.

I automatically assumed wheel bearing, and logically that's what I would think would be the problem. I've not done a lot of work to this car because I haven't had to, and this worries me a little bit as I don't know what all is involved in replacing this, I have read it's one of those pressed in deals. Can anyone enlighten me a lil bit on exactly what I'll be looking for or what I'll need to replace since this just started.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-12, 08:36 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

wheel bearings, axles, or diff.
Old 04-16-12, 05:22 AM
billydpowe
Lexus Champion

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts

we really dont know what to say to you until YOU know what the problem is... at this point, it is anything that moves..
Old 04-16-12, 07:26 AM
hoosiercub
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PureDrifter
wheel bearings, axles, or diff.
Originally Posted by billydpowe
we really dont know what to say to you until YOU know what the problem is... at this point, it is anything that moves..
Well I guess I was assuming that turning to make the noise stop, would be a good indication to point me in the right direction. I have a s****y gravel driveway, with no access to a jack/stands. So I can't do much about it myself.

The noise isn't nearly as loud or obnoxious without a load on the rear end *just me in the car*.

None of the shops around here know anything about something if it's not Ford/GM and I'd really like to pinpoint and get a better idea of what I'm looking for, or at to know more so what I should do. Sorry if I'm being too vague. The noise sounds very wheel bearing-esque and being side selective, I think it's fair to rule out the diff right?
Old 04-16-12, 07:50 AM
fixmiester
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Since the problem is worse with heavy vertical loading, I suspect it is bad u-joints on the rear axle, either at the diff, or wheel. Not easy to diagnose, with no tools or experience. The design is typical, so any shop ought to be able to at least inspect all four joints. I assume your lowering of the rear has placed the axle/wheel driveline off-axis, which has likely stressed the joints.

Steve

Last edited by fixmiester; 04-16-12 at 07:56 AM. Reason: more info
Old 04-16-12, 11:41 AM
hoosiercub
Driver School Candidate

I got a shop to take a look at it today, they said that the driver's side axle was pretty well shot, and the wheel bearing on the passenger's side is toast. They also quoted me w/ parts & labor around $730 including the machine shop work because they don't have a press down there.

I usually go to RockAuto for car parts, and they seem to have both the bearing and axle for a reasonable price. Which seal/gaskets do I need? I called the Lexus dealer up in Indy and they told me I needed a 90311-57002 & 90311-63002. Any tips on where I should get these things for a fairly reasonable price? I'm perfectly fine with a reman'd shaft since Lexus wants over $600 for a new one and this is a $1200 car. I just want to keep her on the road and safe.
Old 04-16-12, 06:59 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

i would just buy a used shaft honestly, they don't go bad that often...