LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

motor mount replacement from dealer cost + inspect

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-02, 07:51 PM
Lvangundy

Default motor mount replacement from dealer cost + inspect

I called up the dealer to ask what the cost would be to replace my motor mounts. I don't think they are bad, but a little worn. The engine moves a bit while testing in reverse.

The cost? $378 in labor! For 2 engine and 1 tranmission. Not including parts. LOL I was told that if I didn't do the transmission mount also, I wouldn't "feel happy." LOL.

I also inquired about my odd idle / stutter problem. They suggested I pay one hour of labor ($80) and have the techs do a full diagnostic on the car.

If anyone is intersted in the cost of having an old car ran through the CPO program the cost is roughly 2+ hours of labor. Around $250.

Last edited by Lvangundy; 10-31-02 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-01-02, 11:08 AM
SQ-LS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!
I was quoted at $600 for parts and labor for all the mounts!
Lexus is $$$$ on their labor man.
Old 11-01-02, 12:10 PM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Ouch!!! that's not cheap.

I wonder how difficult this task is? Some cars are fairly easy. Others are a royal pain. Since the dealer is charging over 4.5 hours of labor it must be a pain or the dealer is seeing fat profit margins. I wonder what the flat rate manual says for this proceedure. Some manufacturers claim a quicker install on there supercharger systems !!!

I did an engine swap on my old Turbocoupe and the mounts were $250 for the pair... they were liquid filled for smoothness. I would guess the Lexus parts to be more.
Old 11-01-02, 01:07 PM
SWEETSOUND2001
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

How do you know your mounts are bad? I stopped by at my dealership (Vista Lexus) and they told me mine were bad also and I should replace all of them. They actually quoted me $237 for all labor + whatever the parts are. I took the car for an oil change to my mechanic and he said they are fine
He basically put the car in drive and reverse gears while holding the brakes. The engine moved a tiny bit but not a lot. He said the mounts were fine and that the dealership was trying to make money off me
I do feel a slight jerk in the drivetrain when shifting out of park into D or reverse. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Doesn't feel abnormal or anything.

Anton
Old 11-04-02, 09:56 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did an engine swap on my old Turbocoupe and the mounts were $250 for the pair... they were liquid filled for smoothness. I would guess the Lexus parts to be more. [/B][/QUOTE]

As far as I know all the Lexus engine mounts are liquid filled, so the price should be the same!
Old 11-04-02, 11:40 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally posted by Lexozz
I did an engine swap on my old Turbocoupe and the mounts were $250 for the pair... they were liquid filled for smoothness. I would guess the Lexus parts to be more.
As far as I know all the Lexus engine mounts are liquid filled, so the price should be the same! [/B][/QUOTE]

I would be surprised if Lexus sold ANYTHING for less than Ford!!!
Old 11-04-02, 12:30 PM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by jbrady

I would be surprised if Lexus sold ANYTHING for less than Ford!!!
Oh, sorry! When you said turbo coupe, I thought you were talking about an SC300/400
Old 11-18-02, 11:17 PM
NucLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Motor Mount/Service Manuals-Source

I came away with a similar expereince. Not satisfied, I did some searching around the NET, came up with pricing on mounts AND Service Manuals (THE ONLY SOURCE I FOUND FOR MANUALS).
Good people....product priced right AND sent when promised.
LD Stricker
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 11:18 AM
To: snow_ski@***.net
Subject: RE: QUOTE Request
LD
HERE ARE THE PRICE QUOTES YOU HAVE REQUESTED FOR YOUR 1995 SC400...
ENGINE MOUNTS 12360-50110---$67.36 EACH (THERE ARE 2)
TRANS MOUNT 12371-50030---$51.10 (THERE IS ONE)
REPAIR MANUAL (3 VOLUME SET) 00245-RM383-U---$297.23

TAKES ME ABOUT TWO WEEKS TO GET THE REPAIR MANUALS FROM LEXUS AND THEN SHIP TO YOU.
TO ORDER, PLEASE GO TO OUR LEXUS ORDER PAGE www.irontoad.com/l_ord.htm AND JUST FOLLOW THE PROMPTS TO ORDER.
THANKS
RYAN
Old 11-20-02, 05:34 AM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
How do you know your mounts are bad? I stopped by at my dealership (Vista Lexus) and they told me mine were bad also and I should replace all of them. They actually quoted me $237 for all labor + whatever the parts are. I took the car for an oil change to my mechanic and he said they are fine
He basically put the car in drive and reverse gears while holding the brakes. The engine moved a tiny bit but not a lot. He said the mounts were fine and that the dealership was trying to make money off me
I do feel a slight jerk in the drivetrain when shifting out of park into D or reverse. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Doesn't feel abnormal or anything.

Anton
i have never had a pleasant experience with vista lexus. and i hate how they take up so much space unloading their cars on ventura blvd. when you are checking your motor mounts, the engine is supposed to move some, but it should be moving at an angle(a tilt): forward when in drive, back when in reverse. if the engine moves straight up or lopsided, then you know your motor mounts are bad. i think i got that right.
Old 04-13-06, 08:52 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I have a 1996 ES 300 with over 252K miles and still have the original motor mounts. It's time to change them. Longo Lexus quoted me $400 to replace both motor mounts. They also checked my shocks and struts and they said that I don't need to replace any of my shocks or stuts.
Old 04-13-06, 08:59 AM
b1gredek
Lexus Test Driver

i can get these mounts changed at toyota for half the price of what the dealer charges if anybody is interested,
The following users liked this post:
Marle (05-15-21)
Old 04-13-06, 11:54 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rice h8r
wait does Toyota carry Lexus parts and do they service Lexuses???
I doubt it... but I know some Toyota parts are compatible with Lexuses.
some but not all toyota dealers will service lexus vehicles on common platforms (ie LX, LS and ES). I used Toyota to do the 60K service on our old RX300 AWD and saved several hundred dollars. No loaner car but we had three cars so no biggie.
Old 04-13-06, 11:55 AM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

We paid $200 for the CPO check a month or so ago when we bought my parent's old 1997 LS400. At that time, they recommended we change all three mounts (motor and tranny) and the all in cost was about $600 for the mounts.

BTW - after they did that my car has had a strange lurch while shifting into drive from park (esp. while cold). I've got another thread in here on that weird experience but... take that for what its worth.
Old 04-13-06, 12:55 PM
Da Hapa
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rice h8r
hmm icic. LS??? I'm assuming you made a mistake because there is no Toyota version of the LS...
oops... i meant rx and i had ls on the brain.
Old 01-22-08, 03:09 PM
BIGBADDAD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a set of motor mounts, I just need to know if there are any short cuts, or need to know items before I get in there. With that said...could you please give me some advice.
Thank you.
Mark

Quick Reply: motor mount replacement from dealer cost + inspect